Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

level 2 comes up short

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For us, yes. They've never been 'in date'. :)

But Level 2 chargers are essential for Leafs and other short-range BEVs. And also essential for plug-in hybrids (like the Volt) to keep them driving electric miles. People plug those cars in while out shopping. We don't need that. They do.

The sad part is that many cars on the road today (Volt, pre-2013 Leaf) can't even make full use of Level 2. They can only handle 3kW.
I think that L2 is fine for certain situations - at home, at work, at a movie theater or ball game. Anywhere that the car will sit for at least 2 hours. But that just means we need many many more of them. That would be great.

The sad part is that many cars on the road today (Volt, pre-2013 Leaf) can't even make full use of Level 2. They can only handle 3kW.
I think that L2 is fine for certain situations - at home, at work, at a movie theater or ball game. Anywhere that the car will sit for at least 2 hours. But that just means we need many many more of them. That would be great.

Short of a SC that don't exist in the MidWest, anyway that the current crop of level 2 can be upgraded?

I feel they work very well for those that need them (Leaf, Volt, etc).
I personally have never needed them. If I did need to travel greater distances, I probably would agree with you.
And I can't say I am not looking forward to getting some superchargers in the Midwest:)

The problem is, Level II ranges from "fairly useful" to "hopelessly anemic". Mid-power L2 (40A say) is fine for home use. Only the higher power L2 chargers are usable for anything but overnight charging, and unfortunately most of the deployed chargers are only 30A or less.

Of course some day I'll get to use a Supercharger.

Remember that level 2 is able to charge up to 80 amps! Don't sell it short so soon! It is as useful as your HPWC at home, it is the government and the equipment manufacturers that determined that 30 amp EVSE's were sufficient. It is up to Tesla owners to demand the higher power and change the lower power of level 2 charging that is being presented to us!

Your HPWC is technically a Level 2 EVSE as well!!

Last edited:
Without Tesla, the J1772 AC standard would have been stuck at 40 amps (9.6kW) max. It was Tesla that lobbied for an 70 amp (16.8kW) extension of the standard (mainly for the Roadster) and now the standard goes up to 80 amps (19.6kW) max.
http://www.saxton.org/tom_saxton/2010/09/j1772-roadster-charging.html

19.6kW is still pretty useful for level 2. Going any higher probably doesn't make sense in terms of using AC because you would need a very powerful onboard charger (which takes up space and costs more money), unless you go with 3-phase (which is not applicable in the US so far).

The problem is, Level II ranges from "fairly useful" to "hopelessly anemic". Mid-power L2 (40A say) is fine for home use. Only the higher power L2 chargers are usable for anything but overnight charging, and unfortunately most of the deployed chargers are only 30A or less.

I agree. for overnight use, great to use a L2. For a MS, better than nothing when going cross country. Better than nothing, but not by much unless you stay overnight.

L2 points are fine at places like hotels, hospitals, colleges, and places of employment where the EV will be parked for 3+ hours. For Model S drivers, though, the L2 points at Walgreens, Krogers, etc. don't provide much utility. I've talked to Volt drivers, though, who really appreciate these L2 points, as they can get enough charge to avoid burning some gas on the way home.

It's going to be interesting to see whether 70A-80A J1772 starts spreading (as it has in Canada and the West Coast) or whether SuperChargers overtake them. I only bought a single charger in my MS, so you can tell which way I think that question is going to resolve.

It's going to be interesting to see whether 70A-80A J1772 starts spreading (as it has in Canada and the West Coast) or whether SuperChargers overtake them. I only bought a single charger in my MS, so you can tell which way I think that question is going to resolve.

The 70A-80A J1772 would allow everyone to have their cake and eat it to. As a MS owner, it would meet my needs and not stop the Volts, Leafs from using it too. At 70-80 amps, I can hook up and be gone in an hour or two. Make space for anyone in need of a charge.

L2 as a standard seems bogus from the start. Electrical contractor offers an "L2 EVSE install" to the customer that sounds all warm & fuzzy but then buries dinky wiring that can only deliver 6kw, or maybe 6kw(x2) for a twin unit. And the expensive units are 6kw max. Multi-thousand dollar units that can't supply 12kw when only one car is charging. Hello Schneider Electric!!?

To upgrade requires digging up and replacing everything. To qualify as L2 should cover the whole standard. L2 standard is just too broad. Too much weasel room, no eye on the future. But what else is new??
--