Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 2 or Level 3 Chargers between Wytheville VA & Asheville NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model X P90DL with 22" Rims. Each year, I take a trip from DC through Breville, NC to pick up kids from summer camp and then down to Kiawah or Sea Island.

For the most part, the trip is fine. However, the segment between the Tesla Supercharger in Wytheville, VA and the Tesla Supercharger in Asheville, NC is absolutely terrifying in my configuration. The EV trip planners show arriving with 3% charge, and that seems really accurate. I make it with 10% to 15% charge, but only by aggressively drafting. Of course I don't want to do that, but I also don't want to be stranded.

I am trying to find a Level 3, or Level 2 if no Level 3s are available, between Wytheville and Asheville. The most rapid charge that is the least likely to be unavailable for any reason of course would be preferred.

I am contemplating going to Kingsport Parking Garage (6 EV Plug (J1772)s) at 225 West Center Street Kingsport, TN, 37660.

Another alternative is a charger at Makoto Restaurant in Boone NC, or I think there is a public one near a brewing company in Boone.

Does anyone know about these, or have any better suggestions?

Thanks

P.S. Started new thread rather than continuing to hijack the Asheville, NC Supercharger Thread.

I just made the trip from Asheville to Wytheville. There are some major changes in elevation along that route but I did make it in my 75D. I made it to Wytheville with 12% battery. I kept my speed at about 5mph below the speed limit. The Supercharger in Bristol is now under construction.

Reactions: Saghost
I just made the trip from Asheville to Wytheville. There are some major changes in elevation along that route but I did make it in my 75D. I made it to Wytheville with 12% battery. I kept my speed at about 5mph below the speed limit. The Supercharger in Bristol is now under construction.

I did the opposite - Wytheville to Asheville - in December in freezing weather with my X75D. I was nervous about it, and took a 100% charge, but despite the computer panicking as I went up (it still underpredicts the effects of elevation for me,) I made it with no problems and ~15% remaining by keeping mostly to the limit.

The Bristol Supercharger will certainly make this less worrisome. :)

Thank god for this post. I hope to drive from NYC to Asheville later this spring and according to EVTripplanner.com Wytheville to Asheville was no sweat.. but I know what the mountains are like in that part of the word so I was a bit apprehensive -- even for my 85D. Thankfully there is a destination charger at the Omni where i'd be staying so I can start my return trip with a full battery... and I will charge to 95% on the way down just to give myself a few more miles buffer.

Did Ashville to Wytheville in a Model S 60 in summer, 99% charge at departure, drove at about 5-10 above speed limit and made the drive with no problems. The drive up into the mountains is a bit interesting as you see the range get devoured but the downhill gives much of it back. The new supercharger in Bristol will be nice eliminating the need for a range charge and any creative hypermiling tricks.

I am praying for Bristol to open. The fact that you only had 12% battery in your 75D Model S should confirm how terrifying it is to make that same trip with a P90DL Model X with 22" rims. Only by aggressively drafting semis or big SUVs was I able to make it.