Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 3 Autonomy - In Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did Audi jump to the front of the pack and beat Tesla? No hands required!!!

I'm still not ready to turn control over to the car.

The new A8, according to Audi, is the most technologically advanced model it has ever built. It’s the first car to offer level 3 autonomy – ahead of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and even the Tesla Model S. Thanks to its AI abilities, the A8’s traffic jam pilot activates autonomous driving in slow-moving traffic at speeds of up to 37 mph.

Last edited:
The driver call it "Audi Traffic Jam system", so can he do more than a smart cruse control,
such as changing lane, merging lane, passing cars, enter or exit a freeway?
Also no pedestrian in sight and divided center lane.

Technically no one wins until it's a L3 system in a customers car has been enabled.

I would also argue that it doesn't really count unless it can work up to 90mph.

The up to 37mph is cool, but come on. There are those of us that life in areas that constantly go from 0 to 50, and then back to 0.

Even if Audi does win the first L3 crown it's going to have a pretty major asterisk next to it.

My bet is GM will win for the first really useful L3 system. Not the supercruise that's about to be released, but the Bolt modified by Cruise automation.

LOL while he's saying the system doesn't need driver interaction, the system alert him to take over when there was no problem with the traffic from what we can see.
Agree. And it's supposed to give the driver 10 seconds warning? Um, didn't look like it.

There are so many limitations on this system. Don't get me wrong, it's a good start for Audi, but I certainly wouldn't say Audi "jumped to the front of the pack". Their traffic jam pilot can't perform on an undivided highway, or when there is only 1 lane in each direction, or above 37 mph, or when traffic is light. And it made some unnecessary large steering corrections in a perfectly straight highway lane. Tesla AP1 and AP2 are much better than this.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Do these standards include requirements for speed? As far as I am concerned, at 37mph, it can't be really called Level 3. I suggest Level 3 light. Seems to me like a PR move by Audi.

Please don't let facts get in the way of objectivity. It was clearly stated in the video Traffic Jam Pilot is for use under specified criteria where Level 3 autonomy is possible.

While Tesla is pushing AP1 and AP2 to the public the company has always characterized the software as Beta. Tesla realized it oversold the capabilities of the product and clawed back features and required 'hands-on' steering wheel because there is still much to learn about the reliability and safety of the product in multiple use cases.

I question whether any of this technology will be effective as long as we have idiots behind the wheel.

The following ad is rated "PG" for language and some scenes with potty humor.... (this is meant to be read with the movie guy preview voice)

"In a world where driving is the only way out...."

and autonomy, isn't just a word....

And from the same cutting edge software engineers that brought you 1000 mpg diesel engines....

This summer....

Get ready.....

For ......

Level .... 3.... Autonomy from Audi! .

Consumer Reports says, "we recommended this car once"

Robert Ebert gives it "thumbs up"

Audi.... just put the "A" .... in Auuuuuutonomy!!!!!!

Explosion... Audi driving away from explosion without looking back...

disclaimer:.... "level 3 autonomy is not a level.... nor is it autonomous.... some drivers may experience bloating, disappointment, duodenal puckering.... do not drive Audi level 3 autonomy if you have an actual place to go... drivers should not use level 3 autonomy unless they are accompanied by a midget in the driver seat while wearing a hat that says "level 3"...

Please don't let facts get in the way of objectivity. It was clearly stated in the video Traffic Jam Pilot is for use under specified criteria where Level 3 autonomy is possible.

While Tesla is pushing AP1 and AP2 to the public the company has always characterized the software as Beta. Tesla realized it oversold the capabilities of the product and clawed back features and required 'hands-on' steering wheel because there is still much to learn about the reliability and safety of the product in multiple use cases.

I question whether any of this technology will be effective as long as we have idiots behind the wheel.

Yes, some objectivity is in order here indeed. My objectivity make me cringe at this blatant PR move by Audi.

This system has virtually no practical use:
  • Less than or equal 37mph
  • Divided multi lane highways
  • No pedestrian recognition
  • No sign recognition
  • Convoy of cars in front **and** adjacent lanes
I bet that under these limitations there is actually many systems that can be declared level 3. The innovation of Audi was in carving out a very limited set of conditions in order to have their PR moment. Sad.

Last edited:
LOL while he's saying the system doesn't need driver interaction, the system alert him to take over when there was no problem with the traffic from what we can see.

Take a look at around 4 minutes and 50 seconds in the video

If you would actual watch and LISTEN to the video, the system passed back control to the driver because the system determined the TRAFFIC JAM had cleared (Audi has baked into the system criteria/logic to detect traffic jam conditions and when level 3 autonomy is possible).

Audi has Level 2 autonomy in production and like Tesla is working on autonomy level 4 and above. The difference being Tesla has chosen to 'sell' Full Self Driving (FSD) before it is available for public use. There is no contractual obligation for Tesla to refund purchasers of FSD should Tesla be unable to technically implement the solution successfully.

Something to think about....

LOL while he's saying the system doesn't need driver interaction,
the system alert him to take over when there was no problem with the traffic from what we can see.

Take a look at around 4 minutes and 50 seconds in the video

... and was then never reactivating the system thereafter,
as the driver was always keeping his hand on the steering wheels.

Prior to watching those videos, I was confident that Audi and Mercedes were about 5 years behind Autopilot, but man, I was so wrong.... they are about 8 years behind autopilot. it's hilarious.

Can you imagine the videos tesla owners could produce that would make the tesla look like it has level 5?

I will believe it, when I watch Marques Brownlee drive it and then I will actually be impressed by it and not give a half hearted, neato guys... thanks for letting me drive your new ride....

Audi and Mercedes are so behind Tesla on autopilot.

Meanwhile,all the owners on this forum are actually uploading car driving data to Tesla as they sleep.... Meanwhile, mercedes and audi do a few test scenarios with a little promo video and think it shows something better....

I will make one kind comment towards mercedes and audi.... can I please get a little help with some massaging seats and wood choices? You got us whipped on that one.