Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Level 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of the Mercedes S-class, Mercedes actually did a 100 km FSD demo of Intelligent Drive back in 2014.

So we see that back in 2014, Mercedes was testing some FSD. And we can see in the video that the FSD could navigate city streets and roundabouts similar to what Tesla is developing today. So Mercedes was testing FSD back in 2014. So I would not be surprised if Mercedes does indeed have L3 driving and L4 parking by now.

To help you out, I will provide the source links that you are looking for:
Mercedes-Benz and NVIDIA: | Daimler

upload_2020-9-9_11-8-46.png

What this will entail (same link, same press-release)

upload_2020-9-9_11-12-3.png

starting in 2024.

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-9_11-11-53.png
    upload_2020-9-9_11-11-53.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld
some of the posts here think Mercedes is the holy grail.

Go to a Mercedes lot and look for cars with features like autopilot.

they say they have them in brochures but you will be lucky to find them on the lot. The cars on the lot are usually base models and you might even find a car without power windows. As for quality well there is a reason you get flowers and a soda at the service center because you are there a lot. I sure wouldn’t trust a Mercedes with FSS either there electical systems suck and break after warranty is up.

I will not go into BMW there even worse I know because I owned both before.

with Tesla every car they sell is fully Capable of all there autopilot features. Tesla is years ahead with FSD. Anyone who says they are not has not used FSD in any cars. Have used Volvo Mercedes and BMW systems and there a little more then Cruise control.

Mercedes is just giving you marketing BS and the German government is will do what ever they need to for their companies.

I suspect some the people here work as car salesman for Mercedes. So many Tesla haters who like to spread FUD just like IBM did in the day.

some of the posts here think Mercedes is the holy grail.

Go to a Mercedes lot and look for cars with features like autopilot.

they say they have them in brochures but you will be lucky to find them on the lot. The cars on the lot are usually base models and you might even find a car without power windows. As for quality well there is a reason you get flowers and a soda at the service center because you are there a lot. I sure wouldn’t trust a Mercedes with FSS either there electical systems suck and break after warranty is up.

I will not go into BMW there even worse I know because I owned both before.

with Tesla every car they sell is fully Capable of all there autopilot features. Tesla is years ahead with FSD. Anyone who says they are not has not used FSD in any cars. Have used Volvo Mercedes and BMW systems and there a little more then Cruise control.

Mercedes is just giving you marketing BS and the German government is will do what ever they need to for their companies.

I suspect some the people here work as car salesman for Mercedes. So many Tesla haters who like to spread FUD just like IBM did in the day.
German cars are trash but if Mercedes sells a Level 3 system then they will be ahead of Autopilot.
I'd be willing to give up the power windows to get Level 3 self driving! I'd wait until they actually release it though.

So I would not be surprised if Mercedes does indeed have L3 driving and L4 parking by now.
I think their auto-park system requires lots/garages with special equipment, like this pilot system.
Yes, it will be important for other vehicles on the road to know when an autonomous car is in autonomous mode. In fact, we've seen some concept cars experiment with this, with external lighting to indicate when the car is in autonomous mode.
Terrific for other drivers who want to cut in or cross in front of an oncoming car -- "oh, it's autonomous, guaranteed to see me and hit the brakes". :)
If Apple released FSD they'd be ahead of Tesla.
If Waymo actually released FSD they'd be ahead of Tesla!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Mercedes actually announced it, though. Apple hasn't. Waymo is far ahead in terms of capability, but also hasn't announced any cars, just their Robotaxi service.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yes, "starting in 2024", I read the press release.
That's for the entire fleet. Their goal is for the S-class to have it late next year. Just like Tesla they're supposedly shipping it with the hardware for autonomous operation.
I'm as skeptical as anyone about that. My prediction is that neither Mercedes nor Tesla will have autonomous vehicles deployed next year. I do think it's way more likely that Mercedes will though.

That's for the entire fleet. Their goal is for the S-class to have it late next year. Just like Tesla they're supposedly shipping it with the hardware for autonomous operation.
I'm as skeptical as anyone about that. My prediction is that neither Mercedes nor Tesla will have autonomous vehicles deployed next year. I do think it's way more likely that Mercedes will though.
Whatever the agreement with NVIDIA is, they are only starting to roll out in 2024.
You have a source for this -- not sure what system they will have in the S-class in 2021.

this press release does not mention anything by NVIDIA or L3 The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Whatever the agreement with NVIDIA is, they are only starting to roll out in 2024.
You have a source for this -- not sure what system they will have in the S-class in 2021.

this press release does not mention anything by NVIDIA or L3 The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class
It is expected that from the second half of 2021 the S-Class will be able to drive in conditionally automated mode with the new DRIVE PILOT (optional extra), in situations where traffic density is high or in tailbacks, on suitable motorway sections in Germany. By taking pressure off the driver, this allows them to undertake secondary activities such as browsing on the internet or dealing with emails in the In-Car Office, and so win extra time.
Only in Germany and Audi said the same thing. I wouldn't hold my breath.
The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class - Automotive luxury experienced in a completely new way - Mercedes-Benz Newsroom

• Funny
Yes, "starting in 2024", I read the press release.
They expanded on the press release info in discussions with the media: “We are planning to launch Level 3 technology in the second half of 2021,” said Hafner during a media roundtable. “It is a big, big, big step to hand over control to the car.”

It's not clear to me if the cars they sell starting early next year will have the lidar already installed or if they'll be field-upgraded once Mercedes "activates" the Level 3 feature in 2H21 (or 2022, or never....).

• Informative
They expanded on the press release info in discussions with the media: “We are planning to launch Level 3 technology in the second half of 2021,” said Hafner during a media roundtable. “It is a big, big, big step to hand over control to the car.”

It's not clear to me if the cars they sell starting early next year will have the lidar already installed or if they'll be field-upgraded once Mercedes "activates" the Level 3 feature in 2H21 (or 2022, or never....).
I assume they're shipping all "DRIVE PILOT" equipped cars with the necessary hardware (where have we heard that before? :p). They've got over the air updates. Looking at the pictures I'm curious where the LIDAR is. It's probably in the grille like the Audi A8. They're probably still too large to mount on the upper windshield in an aesthetically pleasing way.

So here is why I think no one is actually ahead of Tesla right now.

So here is why i think everybody using Mobileye like in AP1 are actually ahead of Tesla right now.

- Phantom Braking TAAC (and the rest of course, also). Wild and unpredictable.
- Lots of people ends up not having even a car with CC because the adaptativity cannot be turned off, unlike most Adaptative CC in other cars.

I wish Tesla could sort with the rewriting. We will know shortly.
But i don't understand, with TMC threads fully packed of dreadful episodes of phantom breaking, how someone could talk of the actual superiority of Tesla Autopilot. Sounds pure denial.

Last edited:
So here is why i think everybody using Mobileye like in AP1 are actually ahead of Tesla right now.

- Phantom Braking TAAC (and the rest of course, also). Wild and unpredictable.
- Lots of people ends up not having even a car with CC because the adaptativity cannot be turned off, unlike most Adaptative CC in other cars.

I wish Tesla could sort with the rewriting. We will know shortly.
But i don't understand, with TMC threads fully packed of dreadful episodes of phantom breaking, how someone could talk of the actual superiority of Tesla Autopilot. Sounds pure denial.

Seems like you don't know the history of AP1 accidents, why phantom braking became a thing, and why despite phantom braking (which isn't at all "wild and unpredictable"), AP2 is still better than AP1. Do some more research

Do you even have an AP2 car?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia