Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leviton 14-50 Works, Bryant 14-50 Doesn't - Same Wiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:

Received the Hubbell unit today. Didn't touch anything with the wiring, just uninstalled the Bryant, installed the Hubbell, torqued the lugs to spec, hit the breakers, checked the hots for voltage, and plugged in the Mobile Charger, and boom.

No ground fault, 32 amps, and running cooler than the Leviton after charging for over 2 hours.

Defective Bryant, so that's a great datapoint for anyone wanting to retrofit. 5 people on reddit had failed installs with Bryant's which were immediately remedied by the Hubbell, up that number to 6 because I'm another one to add to that statistic.

(again, the unit is half installed like this because the ground hasn't been cleaned up, and since I've been troubleshooting I've just been keeping it like this with the breakers within arms reach to be able to make changes quickly for troubleshooting. Obviously don't ever leave an install looking like this. The grounds will be shortened to fit in the box and a faceplate installed.)

IMG_1550.jpeg
IMG_1551.jpeg

When you finish putting things in place be sure to provide support for the Mobile Connector chassis (don't let the chassis hang supported by the power plug.)
Thanks for the tip. I'm actually working on a suspended cable setup that I can use to raise my plug to the car up in the air to keep the cord off the ground as the charger fits where the washer and dryer go.

Any suggestions for how to support it properly?

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually working on a suspended cable setup that I can use to raise my plug to the car up in the air to keep the cord off the ground as the charger fits where the washer and dryer go.

Any suggestions for how to support it properly?
Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis. You can find similar organizer kits on Amazon, eBay and Etsy. You can fashion your own bracket or use cable ties or velcro.

Cable Organizer

Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis. You can find similar organizer kits on Amazon, eBay and Etsy. You can fashion your own bracket or use cable ties or velcro.

Cable Organizer
Found one on Amazon. Already have a "docking station" for the plug itself, but I've had the chassis dangling forever. Thanks for that. Didn't think about that but yeah great way to reduce strain. Even found one with a riser to pull it away from the wall a bit for exposed boxes like mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe
Update:

Received the Hubbell unit today. Didn't touch anything with the wiring, just uninstalled the Bryant, installed the Hubbell, torqued the lugs to spec, hit the breakers, checked the hots for voltage, and plugged in the Mobile Charger, and boom.

No ground fault, 32 amps, and running cooler than the Leviton after charging for over 2 hours.

Defective Bryant, so that's a great datapoint for anyone wanting to retrofit. 5 people on reddit had failed installs with Bryant's which were immediately remedied by the Hubbell, up that number to 6 because I'm another one to add to that statistic.

(again, the unit is half installed like this because the ground hasn't been cleaned up, and since I've been troubleshooting I've just been keeping it like this with the breakers within arms reach to be able to make changes quickly for troubleshooting. Obviously don't ever leave an install looking like this. The grounds will be shortened to fit in the box and a faceplate installed.)

Nice work! I just replaced the Bryant NEMA 14-50 socket with a Gen 3 wall connector. Looking at your photos the setup on the electrical conduit almost makes it feel like a "plug and play" meaning remove the box and replace with wall connector. Could be a consideration since the NEMA 14-50 is almost $100 and the Gen3 is like $400

Nice work! I just replaced the Bryant NEMA 14-50 socket with a Gen 3 wall connector. Looking at your photos the setup on the electrical conduit almost makes it feel like a "plug and play" meaning remove the box and replace with wall connector. Could be a consideration since the NEMA 14-50 is almost $100 and the Gen3 is like $400
I have 50 amps 240V on the breaker side. 6 AWG wire. Don't know much about the wall connector, would that work? I don't have much extra wire left to pull through though, if I needed more wire I'd have to connect wire with wire nuts and extend them, which I wouldn't really want to do.

32 amps is also plenty for my use case.

I have 50 amps 240V on the breaker side. 6 AWG wire. Don't know much about the wall connector, would that work? I don't have much extra wire left to pull through though, if I needed more wire I'd have to connect wire with wire nuts and extend them, which I wouldn't really want to do.

Yeah, that's all fine and would work with the wall connector. If you do have to add on, remember that wire junctions have to be in an accessible junction box. They can't be buried inside a wall or ceiling. Assuming the wire already terminates inside an accessible box, you might want to make your junction right there and pull new wire from that spot.

P.S. with 6AWG stranded wire, I'd be looking at using something like polaris connectors rather than simple wire nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H

My NEMA14-50 was also with 6awg wire (~4ft total wire length). I didnt measure how much extra wire needed; but I'd estimate 6 inches depending on which way the wire enters.

179653.jpg

My NEMA14-50 was also with 6awg wire (~4ft total wire length). I didnt measure how much extra wire needed; but I'd estimate 6 inches depending on which way the wire enters.

View attachment 881751
That actually could work, I probably have about that much wire left tucked away. I'm fine with my 14-50 at the moment and already invested several days and money into the retrofitted industrial 14-50, so I think I'll chill on it for now. But thanks for the insight.

Found one on Amazon. Already have a "docking station" for the plug itself, but I've had the chassis dangling forever. Thanks for that. Didn't think about that but yeah great way to reduce strain. Even found one with a riser to pull it away from the wall a bit for exposed boxes like mine.
Do you have a link to the one with a riser by chance? Having trouble finding one

If you also have links to the outlet box and outlet cover that worked well I’d appreciate it. Thanks