Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT on US-12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this should be in the PNW section, or the Mountain section, but I'm putting it here.

Planning a vacation to Yellowstone this summer, and looking at taking some roads less traveled. Have taken I-90 thru Spokane, CdA, to Bozeman many times. Thinking about Kennewick-Lewiston-Missoula on US-12? Anybody done it?

I should mention, this will also be the first road trip with my AWD 3 that requires more than 1 SC stop!

I think following the Snake and Clearwater all the way through the mountains might be a fun, scenic drive, but sure don't want to come up short...doesn't seem like there's a lot of room to make a mistake.

Looks like there is a decent hotel in Lewiston with L2 charging nearby that could be an overnight stop. ABRP shows it being fairly tight (arrive in Missoula with 13% after leaving with 100%), so I'm hoping somebody out there has done the drive for real, and can offer any advice.

Thanks!

Use PlugShare as a guide.

There is an RV Park in Kamiah that has 14-50 hookups. You could call to arrange 60 minutes or so of charging enroute to assure your arrival in Missoula without panic. Likely that 60 minutes will add ample range to reach Missoula comfortably. Maybe walk into town to grab a bite to eat while charging.

Another choice would be to start off your day going a little slower than you normally would. It IS a scenic highway, after all! Keep your eye on the estimated range remaining in the trip tab of the energy function.

Lastly, unless you have a convoy of cars behind you, I would suggest taking the uphill portions of the highway a little easy. You can save a lot of range going easy on the uphill segments, then letting regenerative braking keep your speed in check on the downhill portions.

A thirteen percent reserve upon arrival is not that harrowing once you get accustomed to these things!

Lastly, I have not driven this highway, but I have driven others that are similar throughout the west. Once you get your legs, you will find that these segments are no big deal.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm quite familiar with PlugShare. Saw the Kamiah RV park. Didn't want to have to make a charging stop en-route unless I absolutely had to, so I was looking for some reassurance that I wouldn't need to.

ABRP shows speed of 49 MPH through that segment, but does not show a posted speed limit. Is it just assuming 45 MPH (I have +10% speed set). I realize that it won't be 75+ like the interstates, but not sure what it actually is.

My personal practice is to vigorously avoid trying to stretch range on 2 lane roads. If I don't have a plan to charge somewhere along the route, I'll find another way. If it is a 4-lane road, then no problem. Having a semi try to pass you on a 2-lane curvy road is terrifying. Having them ride your bumper trying to make you speed up is not much better. If there is a shoulder you can pull over, but that is dangerous, too. And driving on the shoulder in a car with no spare tire is stressful.

Speed limit on much of US-12 in Idaho is 65 mph.

Not sure if this should be in the PNW section, or the Mountain section, but I'm putting it here.

Planning a vacation to Yellowstone this summer, and looking at taking some roads less traveled. Have taken I-90 thru Spokane, CdA, to Bozeman many times. Thinking about Kennewick-Lewiston-Missoula on US-12? Anybody done it?

I should mention, this will also be the first road trip with my AWD 3 that requires more than 1 SC stop!

I think following the Snake and Clearwater all the way through the mountains might be a fun, scenic drive, but sure don't want to come up short...doesn't seem like there's a lot of room to make a mistake.

Looks like there is a decent hotel in Lewiston with L2 charging nearby that could be an overnight stop. ABRP shows it being fairly tight (arrive in Missoula with 13% after leaving with 100%), so I'm hoping somebody out there has done the drive for real, and can offer any advice.

Thanks!
Elevations for the 3 locations are:

Kennewick 500 ft.
Lewiston 700 ft.
Missoula 3300 ft.

The rule of thumb is that you lose 1 rated mile for every 100 ft. in elevation gain. So you can subtract 26 rated miles for your leg to Lewiston to Missoula. This is what makes it somewhat tight. Otherwise, a 228 mile leg in your vehicle in decent weather wouldn't be much of an issue at all. Also if you make this trip in reverse, it would be no problem at all as dropping 2600 ft in elevation you effectively gain quite a few rated miles rather than losing 26 going uphill.

I think if you can overnight in Lewiston and charge to 100%, you won't have any issue this time of year. The dead of winter is a different story.

Lastly, Lolo Pass (ID/MT border) is 5200 ft. so don't freak out if your range is looking low when you get there. You will gain quite a few miles in range when you drop down from Lolo to Missoula.

Last edited:
The states for each sub-forum are listed on the main sub-forum page. For the Northwest, they are Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington so this was indeed the correct sub-forum.

Ooops...missed the fine print. Maybe it's just my west-of-the-Cascades mentality, but I tend to think of MT as a "mountain" state, not a "northwest" states.

My personal practice is to vigorously avoid trying to stretch range on 2 lane roads. If I don't have a plan to charge somewhere along the route, I'll find another way. If it is a 4-lane road, then no problem. Having a semi try to pass you on a 2-lane curvy road is terrifying. Having them ride your bumper trying to make you speed up is not much better. If there is a shoulder you can pull over, but that is dangerous, too. And driving on the shoulder in a car with no spare tire is stressful.

Speed limit on much of US-12 in Idaho is 65 mph.

Thanks for the US12 speed info. Looks like ABRP might be under-estimating the speed. But I also looked at the road on Google Earth, and I'm not sure bombing down it @ 65 is the best idea in the world.

This is still feeling kinda marginal to me (though I appreciate everyone's input who says I can do it). Will have to think about it some more.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm quite familiar with PlugShare. Saw the Kamiah RV park. Didn't want to have to make a charging stop en-route unless I absolutely had to
This is how I would do it as well, with some caveats:

a) You need to have backup plans just in case. The best backup plans are reliable charging opportunities past the half way point of your route. This may be difficult on this route. Another backup plan could be an L2 charger on the outskirts of Missoula. A punitive backup plan might be turning around and spending another night in Lewiston if it looks like you can't make it. The ultimate backup plan is always a flat-bed tow truck

b) Start your trip hypermiling. On interstates you can try to draft a semi, but this won't work on this type of highway. What you can do is drive slowly, turn off the HVAC and lower the suspension (if possible). While doing this, keep a close eye on your battery and estimated battery percentage upon arrival. It helps if you can do a lot of math in your head and you know the elevations of the towns you are going through.

Thanks for the US12 speed info. Looks like ABRP might be under-estimating the speed. But I also looked at the road on Google Earth, and I'm not sure bombing down it @ 65 is the best idea in the world.
Can't say that I have driven this road, but I too would be surprised if it's 65mph speed limit the whole way.

"Winding road next 99 miles"

A thirteen percent reserve upon arrival is not that harrowing once you get accustomed to these things!
Agree with this!

I've made a few trips where the expected arrival was 1% or even 0% and i have seen the dreaded "Charging needed to reach destination" warning many times. I can't even count the number of trips where the estimated arrival was <10%. But I am basically a seasoned professional at this, so I realize it isn't for everyone. If you have little margin for error and/or are travelling with a wife and kids or something, then there is reason to be concerned. But if you have an adventurous spirit and are flying solo like I usually am, 13% is nothing at all to be worried about.

Reactions: BerTX

This is still feeling kinda marginal to me (though I appreciate everyone's input who says I can do it). Will have to think about it some more.
I think the speed limit through all of the segment between Kooskia and Lolo is 50 mph. Slowdowns due to curves, of course.

Things to recognize about ABRP and most route planners -- they use a database of average driving speeds, not speed limits, to determine drive times. Realize that they already take into account savings from driving more slowly in an area where everybody drives slowly. You will do much better driving on the road at 50 mph, but if ABRP is saying you will arrive with 13%, it already assumes you will drive the average speed. You need to go slower than that if you want to increase your arrival SOC. If you are going to do a range stretch run, do a separate plan for that segment such that you can plan for a slower speed in that section rather than the complete trip. This will allow you to take off your +10 mph setting for just that section.

EV Trip Planner estimates it will take 161 rated miles from Lewiston to Orofino to Missoula using a speed factor of 1. Should be a no sweat drive. If you find that you a cutting it close there is a campground with 50 amp service on the South side of the road 2.7 miles west of Lolo. You could call Barry at 406-273-0141 to see if there is an available 50 amp outlet. It has been several years since I have used that campground. Very nice drive along the Lochsa River.

Ran the numbers again using my P85 with 19 inch wheels (instead of my M3 AWD). The planner says it is 225.3 miles to Missoula (not the Superchargers) and will use 64.8 kWh's and 216 rated miles. The Superchargers are some farther, but not much.
Well 216 is quite a bit more than 161. Even the 216 isn't quite passing the smell test for me given the elevation gain. I'm thinking something is messed up with EVTP (this has happened in the past).

Plus taking into account 2 adults plus luggage & camping gear, etc. and going uphill, I find it hard to believe you would use fewer rated miles than actual miles.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm going to consider this segment as a possibility, but whether we include it in the itinerary is still up in the air for ordinary vacation-planning reasons, not Tesla/EV travel reasons. I'll be sure to update this thread if we actually do it.

We traveled this route after the eclipse in the summer of 2017 in an S90D. We stayed at a Super 8 in Grangeville, ID, just several miles off of US12. They have a pair of Tesla destination chargers at that hotel. We called ahead and they put cones around one of the chargers so it would be available for us.

The sky was hazy from smoke due to a lot of fires that summer, but it is a beautiful drive.

We often like to find non-Interstate routes when we travel, even if off the "Supercharger highway."

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Blu Zap and Rocky_H
I was reading down through here waiting to add my input that no one had mentioned, but then the very last comment from @kk7p got to it. I wouldn't start from Lewiston. Grangeville has charging, so use that as an overnight, and then the distance works out pretty well from there to Missoula. I live in Boise, so I have been considering doing this for a while. I think I can make it up to Grangeville in one shot and then from there to Missoula the next day.

I wouldn't start from Lewiston. Grangeville has charging, so use that as an overnight, and then the distance works out pretty well from there to Missoula. I live in Boise, so I have been considering doing this for a while. I think I can make it up to Grangeville in one shot and then from there to Missoula the next day.
Good info. I have zeroed in on Grangeville for an upcoming trip in my 2014 P85+. We are starting in Coeur d'Alene and heading south on Highway 95 to Boise. It looks like we can make it to Grangeville on a charge, 185 miles. There are level 2 chargers in Moscow and Lewiston, if I think I need them. Spend the night at the Super 8 and leave with a full battery to Boise. 200 miles. Looks like a couple of 14-50s in McCall if I need them. Shore Lodge and the Campground. @Rocky_H looks like you have done this in you S85. At least the Boise/Grangeville leg. Any insight is appreciated! Thanks.