Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lex Friedman (inadvertently?) interviewed EV hater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meanwhile those same authorities who would love to police our speech have promulgated policies that have placed our country in $31,300,000,000,000 of debt with no end in sight. I’m sure that’ll end well. Talk about comforting lies instead of unpleasant truths!

Where did you get your economics degree? In what context is that $31.3T debt bad? Pretty sure you basically proved my point that people are far more prone to believe what conforms to their ideology than reality. It's dangerous when that is given an unfiltered platform. It seems absurd that spreading misinformation is required to rise to the level of tormenting parents of murdered children before action is taken to stop it.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: h2ofun
It’s funny and revealing that you are trying to spin the idea of concern over a burgeoning national debt as a dangerous idea that must be suppressed. You didn’t even pause at “dangerous speech” or “hate speech” and rushed right down the slippery slope to “economic opinions that I would rather suppress.”

It’s funny and revealing that you are trying to spin the idea of concern over a burgeoning national debt as a dangerous idea that must be suppressed. You didn’t even pause at “dangerous speech” or “hate speech” and rushed right down the slippery slope to “economic opinions that I would rather suppress.”

It was a general statement encompassing all misinformation. I would have hoped we'd have learned our lesson about how easily people can be fooled when they don't have the background to dismiss something intellectually that they want to hear because it conforms to their ideology. And how dangerous that can be. Opinions are fine so long as the facts supporting those opinions are true.

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 8.07.53 PM.png

• Disagree
Democracy is great until the wrong people get elected, amiright? Then the only solution is bending the system to exert control.

I get it. You think you are smarter than others (a natural if selfish tendency) and wish to impose your opinions and thoughts onto them. You support censorship by the people who you agree with and who agree with you. But this doesn’t end well. Eventually the hoi polloi you are suppressing get fed up.

The regimes that suppress speech and thought don’t end up being the ones history thinks fondly of. Just make sure that you are comfortable being on the side of censorship. If so… well, you will have the company of many in our species history who agreed with you.

Are you joking or do you live a SUPER-sheltered life?
Ah, and the ad hominems begin. Wondering how long it would take. When logic and evidence fail, it’s time for emotion and personal attacks.

I have had a nice long life that I have loved in our beautiful country. Sheltered? From many things. For example I had a blessed childhood provided by parents who cared, and was fortunate to have the ability to rise in a career where I serve others in a fundamental and stimulating way.

My conviction is such that I 100% support your ability to disagree with me in public forums. I feel I am better off for having a debate and listening to views that I don’t necessarily share. Exposure to a diversity of ideas through art, literature, debate, and other engagement enriches my life, and I will always value the intrinsic human dignity in each of us.

Be well.

Ah, and the ad hominems begin. Wondering how long it would take. When logic and evidence fail, it’s time for emotion and personal attacks.

No... it was a serious question. Was that a joke? Because last I checked people like Alex Jones haven't exactly lost trust and credibility with their supporters no matter how many statements they make are proven to be false.

And Alex Jones is FAR from the exception. Do some reading on Peter Popoff.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
I strongly believe in freedom, including freedom of speech.

One might reasonably wish that Lex, who presumably would be well informed on the topic of EVs, might have had factual resources on hand with which he could have refuted the false statements of the EV hater. Or at least, by informing the audience ACCURATELY of the contrary perspective, he might have given pause to those who otherwise rush to judgment — in this case, self assurances that their previously formed (inaccurate) negative viewpoints on EVs are substantiated.

It is unfair to the cause of literal truth that many sentient beings are misinformed.

However, life isn’t fair. If one is passionate about others understanding certain facts, then, one must accept reality and work within one’s confines to advance the spread of those facts. In this case, since Lex fell short, it is simply a reminder that failures of others leave opportunities for you.

Last edited:
I’m guessing a dictionary isn’t part of your library or you would KNOW what an opinion is.

Not talking about an opinion on the best color of a car but for example an opinion that Hybrid cars are better because EVs never pay back the energy required to manufacture them. If the 'because' is empirically false then the opinion simply isn't valid. Can't have a difference of opinion if you start with a difference of fact.

The context of 'opinions' on this thread are based in fact or falsehood.

• Disagree
Not talking about an opinion on the best color of a car but for example an opinion that Hybrid cars are better because EVs never pay back the energy required to manufacture them. If the 'because' is empirically false then the opinion simply isn't valid. Can't have a difference of opinion if you start with a difference of fact.

The context of 'opinions' on this thread are based in fact or falsehood.
You cannot change the meaning of a word just because the views expressed don’t fit the viewpoint you want them to fit.
an opinion is exactly the same wether it aligns with or contradicts YOUR OPINION.
An opinion is NEVER based on facts however facts may support an opinion.

Obviously to you and me, the EV hater is sorely ignorant (or worse) and then in lazy knee jerk bias, spreading his ignorance.

But poorly informed conversations will continue as long as sentience continues. If you try to gain control of the narrative, the issue is that there are unexpected consequences. Seemingly insignificant things (in other topics) you think you know, on which you are misinformed, will now be forced upon the public and no one may disagree but the effect will be disastrous.

Everyone is wrong in many things. Strive to be less wrong. And strive to help people understand. History and logic proves you will only make things worse if you try to control the narrative.

You cannot change the meaning of a word just because the views expressed don’t fit the viewpoint you want them to fit.
an opinion is exactly the same wether it aligns with or contradicts YOUR OPINION.
An opinion is NEVER based on facts however facts may support an opinion.

I didn't change the meaning of the word. Some opinions are based in fact some are not. In my opinion grey is the best color for a car isn't based in fact. In my opinion a Chevy Bolt is a better value because it has more range than a Tesla is simply false. We're not talking palate preferences here...

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 11.37.34 PM.png

• Disagree
History and logic proves you will only make things worse if you try to control the narrative.

No one is trying to 'control' the narrative. Did libel laws make things worse? I don't think it's too much to ask for people to show a little more respect for objective reality. Lumborg isn't an idiot. He almost certainly knew what he said wasn't true but the truth didn't support his narrative.

• Disagree
So in your world no opinions are factually supported? You just think certain things because.... 'reasons'? 🤣
Your comprehension of the English language seems to be your issue I’ll add in here what I said earlier……..
“You cannot change the meaning of a word just because the views expressed don’t fit the viewpoint you want them to fit.
An opinion is NEVER based on facts however facts may support an opinion”

Your comprehension of the English language seems to be your issue I’ll add in here what I said earlier……..
“You cannot change the meaning of a word just because the views expressed don’t fit the viewpoint you want them to fit.
An opinion is NEVER based on facts however facts may support an opinion”

Inform websters. 'Not necessarily' is now synonymous with 'NEVER'. 🤣

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 11.52.15 PM.png

Seriously though.... do you just decide to go grocery shopping on a whim without checking to see if you need groceries? Seems like an incredibly chaotic existence....

• Disagree
Inform websters. 'Not necessarily' is now synonymous with 'NEVER'. 🤣

View attachment 878685

Seriously though.... do you just decide to go grocery shopping on a whim without checking to see if you need groceries? Seems like an incredibly chaotic existence....
You have conceded you were wrong now instead of moving on you turn your attacks toward me? I was attempting to help Make you a better citizen as well as a more informed individual, if it makes you feel better so be it I’m sure you have a T 2024 in Your future because nothing compares and you know all.