Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lex Friedman paper on Tesla Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

heltok

Aug 12, 2014
Sweden
Human Side of Tesla Autopilot | MIT
https://hcai.mit.edu/tesla-autopilot-human-side.pdf

In this work, we provide evidence from a large-scale Tesla Autopilot driving dataset that drivers in this dataset maintain functional vigilance in their use of Autopilot. In this data, drivers use the system extensively and travel 34.8% of miles under Autopilot control. We annotated 18,928 epochs of Au- topilot disengagements for presence of challenging scenarios (termed “tricky situations”) and whether the driver anticipates or responds to these situations in a timely manner. Through this process, 8,729 tricky situations were annotated by mul- tiple individuals until an agreement was reached about the timeliness of the driver response with respect to the critical signal. The resulting annotation categorized the driver as func- tionally vigilant in all cases as determined through subjective annotation of the temporal characteristics of their response. We discuss two possible contributing factors that underlie these results, and propose possibly beneficial expansion of the functional vigilance framework with monitoring systems for both the human and the automation.

Edit: spelling error in title. Please moderators edit the title...

I guess this is the main finding:
BFEC7BD5-266C-421D-A82B-BA105FBC48DB.png

Lex gives possible reasons why drivers were paying more attention than expected from previous studies. His main suggestion is that since AP disengagements happen every 9 miles, that it is unreliable enough that people pay attention. I agree with this reason but would add one more. When driving with AP, if you don’t pay attention, you may die in an accident. In previous studies using a simulator, or in non-driving situations like watching a machine producing parts, that is not the case. I think this severe consequence helps people pay attention.