TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lexus advertisement talks trash on EVs (and makes no sense)

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Kwillscherer1026, May 6, 2014.

1. Kwillscherer1026

#1 Kwillscherer1026, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    This ad makes absolutely no sense.

It basically attacks the way a Nissan Leaf charges (in a totally dishonest way). Then shows a picture of a Lexus GS Hybrid, which Starting at $60,430 is double the price of a Leaf and way closer to Model S.

But they know better than to attempt to compare it to a Model S...

Charged EVs | Misleading Lexus ad trashes plug-in vehicles

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I agree with you. It's bad marketing in my opinion.

3. Reykjavik

Reykjavik Member

In a typical week of driving, an EV spends less time inactive for refueling/recharging than a hybrid does. The EV charges in the garage, while the hybrid simply sits there like a brick. Then the hybrid has to stop at the gas station when it is empty, while the EV is topped up and ready to go every day.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Well, it's not surprising that they are doing that. Toyota has bet the company on FCEVs and, as such, has nothing to sell against EVs. Most companies in that situation just spew FUD.

By the way, this plays to the erroneous notion that charging is directly equivalent to refueling - done at specialized locations as part of your regular travel. Most EV owners quickly realize that charging is done while you are doing something else and that it's not lost time (usually).

So, the LEAF counter to that ad is to say - More driving, no gas station.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

From what I've seen, Toyota actually believes gasoline powered hybrids are superior and that EVs are not practical. They just don't get it. That's why they bet the company on hybrids. And I'm pretty sure they believe the FUD they spew.

6. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

It's funniest to view the video and the tabs are the original Lexus page. http://www.lexus.com/hybrid/ Notice how they avoid using the word "electric," even when discussing alternative fuels.

7. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

#7 Johan, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

Haha.

''our hybrids are estimated up to and EPA-rated 42 MPG" (that's 5,6 liters/100 km which is probably about the average of ICE cars sold in the EU today, not very impressive)

"have saved nearly 300 million gallons of gas" (compared to what???)

"... and have driven more than an estimated 21 billion combined super ultra low emmision miles" (that's one way to overuse hyperlatives)

8. Kwillscherer1026

#8 Kwillscherer1026, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Notice the fine print in the video that specifies that 4 hours recharge time is for 240 V (fine print that doesn't exist on the online ads), even though that charging station in the ad was clearly meant to resemble a DC Fast Charger.

9. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

I was at the NY car show by the Toyota Hydrogen car listening to their spiel when the man said "an electric car takes hours to charge" to which I hollered out that he was a liar. I asked how much it would cost to fill up $30 for 300 miles. OK my old Prius would do $21 for 300 miles. I did get a ride in their Hydrogen Highlander compared to a Model S the Model S is way more powerful.

10. miimura

miimura Active Member

Their overuse of hyperlatives is just their way of spewing techno-babble. Their cars are classified as SU-LEV (Super Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle) according to US emissions classifications.

11. Tasdevil

Tasdevil Member

Maybe compared to cars that use twice as much gas?

12. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Johan viewpost-right.png

"have saved nearly 300 million gallons of gas" (compared to what???)

The add says vs non-hybrid cars of similar size.

In actuality it means vs the least efficient car of similar size.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Two observations about the video Johan posted:
    1. The only part worth watching was the pedestrian in the cross-walk.
    2. The end contains a large font capitalized "forward" that is spelled incorrectly. Perhaps they're saying something subtly: "We can't even spell forward correctly, so you might want to take that under advisement."

Foward.PNG

14. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Wow, nice catch!

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Random sidenote: I noticed a "constuction" sign recently at a work site on my daily commute. It's a blessing and a curse.

16. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Off topic, sorry. Back in 1977, our University republished the Unix manuals for the students. The printer put "Unix Docmention" on the cover. We pointed out that this was spelled wrongly, so the next print run came out as "Unix Documention". At which point AT&T came down on us and there was never another printing.

17. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Toyota is making a mistake. I guess time will tell. I've always said that we can't be stopped. I still believe this. The real deal is that EV driving/ownership is simply better. Much better. Folks and companies that have been left in the dust can spew FUD all they want. Our superior product will prevail. The train has left the station and Toyota and many others are running down the tracks with their pants down trying to stop it.
    Aint gonna happen. We can't be stopped!

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Agreed. Companies like Toyota that don't get on board now are going to find their pants around their ankles in a few years. When the big shift happens they could be gone.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

It's not going after the Leaf. It's an attempt to defend and attack against cars like the i3 and B-EV, plus the PHEV that are coming from the German automakers.

20. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member