Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lexus advertisement talks trash on EVs (and makes no sense)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a typical week of driving, an EV spends less time inactive for refueling/recharging than a hybrid does. The EV charges in the garage, while the hybrid simply sits there like a brick. Then the hybrid has to stop at the gas station when it is empty, while the EV is topped up and ready to go every day.

Well, it's not surprising that they are doing that. Toyota has bet the company on FCEVs and, as such, has nothing to sell against EVs. Most companies in that situation just spew FUD.

By the way, this plays to the erroneous notion that charging is directly equivalent to refueling - done at specialized locations as part of your regular travel. Most EV owners quickly realize that charging is done while you are doing something else and that it's not lost time (usually).

So, the LEAF counter to that ad is to say - More driving, no gas station.

From what I've seen, Toyota actually believes gasoline powered hybrids are superior and that EVs are not practical. They just don't get it. That's why they bet the company on hybrids. And I'm pretty sure they believe the FUD they spew.

Haha.

''our hybrids are estimated up to and EPA-rated 42 MPG" (that's 5,6 liters/100 km which is probably about the average of ICE cars sold in the EU today, not very impressive)

"have saved nearly 300 million gallons of gas" (compared to what???)

"... and have driven more than an estimated 21 billion combined super ultra low emmision miles" (that's one way to overuse hyperlatives)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at the NY car show by the Toyota Hydrogen car listening to their spiel when the man said "an electric car takes hours to charge" to which I hollered out that he was a liar. I asked how much it would cost to fill up $30 for 300 miles. OK my old Prius would do $21 for 300 miles. I did get a ride in their Hydrogen Highlander compared to a Model S the Model S is way more powerful.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Johan viewpost-right.png

"have saved nearly 300 million gallons of gas" (compared to what???)

Maybe compared to cars that use twice as much gas?

The add says vs non-hybrid cars of similar size.

In actuality it means vs the least efficient car of similar size.

Two observations about the video Johan posted:
1. The only part worth watching was the pedestrian in the cross-walk.
2. The end contains a large font capitalized "forward" that is spelled incorrectly. Perhaps they're saying something subtly: "We can't even spell forward correctly, so you might want to take that under advisement."

Foward.PNG

Two observations about the video Johan posted:
1. The only part worth watching was the pedestrian in the cross-walk.
2. The end contains a large font capitalized "forward" that is spelled incorrectly. Perhaps they're saying something subtly: "We can't even spell forward correctly, so you might want to take that under advisement."

View attachment 48781

Wow, nice catch!

Off topic, sorry. Back in 1977, our University republished the Unix manuals for the students. The printer put "Unix Docmention" on the cover. We pointed out that this was spelled wrongly, so the next print run came out as "Unix Documention". At which point AT&T came down on us and there was never another printing.

Toyota is making a mistake. I guess time will tell. I've always said that we can't be stopped. I still believe this. The real deal is that EV driving/ownership is simply better. Much better. Folks and companies that have been left in the dust can spew FUD all they want. Our superior product will prevail. The train has left the station and Toyota and many others are running down the tracks with their pants down trying to stop it.
Aint gonna happen. We can't be stopped!

This ad makes absolutely no sense.

It basically attacks the way a Nissan Leaf charges (in a totally dishonest way). Then shows a picture of a Lexus GS Hybrid, which Starting at $60,430 is double the price of a Leaf and way closer to Model S.

But they know better than to attempt to compare it to a Model S...

Charged EVs | Misleading Lexus ad trashes plug-in vehicles

It's not going after the Leaf. It's an attempt to defend and attack against cars like the i3 and B-EV, plus the PHEV that are coming from the German automakers.