Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lexus introducing hands-free highway L2 called "Highway Teammate"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's interesting to me that there is enough false braking in the new Teslas that people complain about it. In our Mobileye AP 2015 S we've only seen false braking about 3 times total since we've owned the car and none recently.

I rarely ever see "false" braking in my 2018 Model 3 either.

A lot of folks confuse braking for NO reason with braking for an actual reason that a human might not (for example incorrect map data just told the car the speed limit dropped by 30 mph).

The one place AP1 remains "better" at all is that it reads speed limit signs. Mobileye owns the patent on that though.

It's compounded by folks often using AP places it's not intended to be used like 2-way roads with cross traffic, and then yelling PHANTOM BRAKING when the car slows down because as far as it can tell there's a car sideways in your lane ahead of you.

• Informative
Reactions: malcolm
It's interesting to me that there is enough false braking in the new Teslas that people complain about it. In our Mobileye AP 2015 S we've only seen false braking about 3 times total since we've owned the car and none recently.

Back in late 2018 I traded in my MobileEye AP 2015 Model S in on a Model 3 with HW2.5

The amount of difference in false braking was immediately apparent. But, it wasn't really a deal killer then.

It was worse than AP1, but it wasn't that bad and most of it was fairly moderate braking.

The biggest problem is it's gotten worse since then, and not better.

The last time I drove my Model 3 I had a false braking event where in the display it showed it tracking the car next to me. I could have understood if it was in a turn, and the car was ahead of me. but, that wasn't the case. It also happened where it had never happened before. It happened on a well traveled freeway in the Seattle area under TACC.

My entire experience with AP2 has basically been random weirdness without much luck in reproducing things.

Now I wasn't a happy AP1 owner either. I was extremely pleased with TACC on AP1, but didn't like AP. I didn't like AP because it did too many corrections, and sometimes it would get truck lust. I'm more happy with AP2, but the false braking really sucks even if I use TACC only.

The biggest problem is it's gotten worse since then, and not better.

It is probably different for different owners. I can say for me, phantom braking has gotten a lot better since I first got my Model 3 back in 2018. I used to get phantom braking quite often when driving under overpasses or driving under low hanging branches. In fact, I got a huge phantom braking incident from low hanging branches over the road on my very first drive home from the delivery center! Now, I get virtually no phantom braking in those instances at all. The only real false braking I get is when cars cross in front of me.

Reactions: Dewg
Toyota released an instructional video for the Toyota Mirai that explains how Teammate Advanced Drive works.

IMO, the video is very informative as it explains how the system performs auto lane changes and driver monitoring. From the video, I would say Teammate Advanced Drive is very similar to Tesla's Navigate on Autopilot.

There is also a shorter overview video:

...Toyota Mirai...
I think this is the first L2 (or above) commercially consumer LIDAR available that consumers can buy right now.

The feature itself is only $5,170 but the catch is you can't buy it with the cheaper $49,500 XLE, you have to buy the more expensive version "Limited" starting with $66,000. So the total price would be $71,170.

Not many people buy Mirai so we might not learn how well this consumer LIDAR works in preventing collisions.