Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lexus RX 350 to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y compromises for that little extra and upright seating positions for all. Sure, it’s sporty, but not as sporty and as fun as a 3. The hatchback room is not that much bigger than a 3, which is perfectly usable, even with that permanent deck lid. Both these cars are about the same length and width. A 7-seater Y is so cramped for second and third row both, plus there’s a huge loss of cargo area when all seven seats are up.

If it’s a two car family (or more) and you have another car that can take the place of a Y (like the RX) with cargo space and fits more people, the 3 is the one to get.

Y is for people who have no bigger car already and want to add that extra electric hauler into the picture.

Upvote 0
I gave into my weakness and changed my M3LR to a MYLR. I can cite the reasons I've told myself it makes sense but honestly at the end of the day life's too short, the price difference was manageable and I just liked its looks better. If it really can replace the RX, then I'll feel better selling off the RX knowing I have something already.

So.. I just need to keep repeating all those reasons over and over again until I take delivery and put it all behind me

Upvote 0
If you need more room, you should consider S or X. We have a 3 and it is too small, but in our part of the world we don't yet have access to the Y so I cannot compare. So 3 is best bang for the buck for us at the moment, see how a year goes.
Thank You Tiger, you must be waiting for Giga Berlin. You have a beautiful country, we visited there about 3 years ago. I always mention Estonia when speaking of our trip.

Upvote 0
I gave into my weakness and changed my M3LR to a MYLR. I can cite the reasons I've told myself it makes sense but honestly at the end of the day life's too short, the price difference was manageable and I just liked its looks better. If it really can replace the RX, then I'll feel better selling off the RX knowing I have something already.

So.. I just need to keep repeating all those reasons over and over again until I take delivery and put it all behind me
I priced the RX yesterday and for a new equivalent to the Y LR, the RX was equal or more expensive. Getting FSD which makes it more $, I've seen too many Beta Videos.

Upvote 0
Yeah. Its around the same price. However, for me and the wife, we would BOTh get the Y.
Everything about it is better in MOST ways.
I do miss the 360 pano view monitor and the rear cross traffic alert lol.
Also, it does seem more premium but BUSY in the interior of the RX

Upvote 0
I'm considering a M3 or MY as a secondary vehicle to the RX350. Part of me says go for the M3 and enjoy the sportiness, the other part says go for the MY and enjoy the space. Any suggestions since we're keeping the RX for a while longer?
I don't have any real suggestion but was in a similar situation. I love the comfort ride of my RX350 (and no range anxiety) but decided to go for an MYLR (EDD September). I'm hoping the technology advances and going electric offsets what I like about my RX350. When we told our family and friends that we ordered a Tesla, I was surprised at how excited and curious they were and want a ride in it when it's delivered.

Reactions: Bobthecanuck
Upvote 0
I don't have any real suggestion but was in a similar situation. I love the comfort ride of my RX350 (and no range anxiety) but decided to go for an MYLR (EDD September). I'm hoping the technology advances and going electric offsets what I like about my RX350. When we told our family and friends that we ordered a Tesla, I was surprised at how excited and curious they were and want a ride in it when it's delivere

I’ve had range anxiety forever because I hate going to the gas station and I hate overpaying, so I’m always down to the wire. Looking forward to plugging in and just going to bed. Also looking forward to worrying less about my car being stolen all the time.

Upvote 0
I’ve had range anxiety forever because I hate going to the gas station and I hate overpaying, so I’m always down to the wire. Looking forward to plugging in and just going to bed. Also looking forward to worrying less about my car being stolen all the time.
Good point. I see you're from Canada. There are definitely many cold days here in Wisconsin too and I thought it would be nice to not pump gas in below zero degree weather. After hearing from others, it seems like the range anxiety with electric cars is overblown.

Upvote 0
I have a 2010 RX and a 2021 MYLR7. In terms of external measurements, the RX and MY are very comparable. I think the RX is an inch longer but two inches narrower.

However, the cargo area is considerably bigger on the RX. I was surprised when I was packing for camping. It's crazy how much bigger the RX is. If you have a lot of small items, I suppose you can utilize the sub trunk and frunk to even things out, but certain larger items like a 10 person tent or large canopy can easily fit in the RX but not as easily in the MY.

I was very happy with the MY and thought about being an all electric household. We had thoughts about selling the RX and getting either another MY or a M3, but now, I'm leaning towards getting another RX when Lexus is due for a refresh in 2023. It would just give us more options.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
I have a 2010 RX and a 2021 MYLR7. In terms of external measurements, the RX and MY are very comparable. I think the RX is an inch longer but two inches narrower.

However, the cargo area is considerably bigger on the RX. I was surprised when I was packing for camping. It's crazy how much bigger the RX is. If you have a lot of small items, I suppose you can utilize the sub trunk and frunk to even things out, but certain larger items like a 10 person tent or large canopy can easily fit in the RX but not as easily in the MY.

I was very happy with the MY and thought about being an all electric household. We had thoughts about selling the RX and getting either another MY or a M3, but now, I'm leaning towards getting another RX when Lexus is due for a refresh in 2023. It would just give us more options.
Hmmm... The advertised cargo space of the 2021 RX 350 is 8 cubic less than that of the MY.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... The advertised cargo space of the 2021 RX 350 is 8 cubic less than that of the MY.
I don't believe the Model Y even advertises what the cargo space is with the rear seats up (2nd row), so you might be comparing numbers based on the rear seats being folded down.

I think the issue is that even though the Model Y is 2 inches wider, that's only at the base of the vehicle. It's narrower than the RX once you get above the tire level, and it's also shorter. Thus, it makes more sense why the cargo area would be smaller.

Upvote 0
Not the Lexus, but I had an Audi A4 before this, Smoother ride, epic fit and finish, beautiful construction. When you slammed the door it just made the most solid sound. However I prefer the Y all the way now after 2 months. The car is 10 times more fun to drive. I imagine the differences will be similar with the Lexus. Also...Im a fan of the Tesla spartan interior. The seats are insanely comfy and thats what matters most to me, not all the nice trims.

Upvote 0
I don't believe the Model Y even advertises what the cargo space is with the rear seats up (2nd row), so you might be comparing numbers based on the rear seats being folded down.

I think the issue is that even though the Model Y is 2 inches wider, that's only at the base of the vehicle. It's narrower than the RX once you get above the tire level, and it's also shorter. Thus, it makes more sense why the cargo area would be smaller.
I was. Rear seats (second row) folded down the Y has 66 cu ft, the RX 58.

Upvote 0
We're selling our 4runner to get our model Y but we're keeping our LX570 most Lexus rides like a dream but the LX is all sorts of bounce and roll with the hydraulic suspension. The 4runner while has the legendary reliability it rides like hell. I test drove two model y versions, one with the stock 19s and one with the 20" inductions and I decided to order the inductions. The complaints about harsh rides must be from people driving big body sedans and cushy SUVs because based on what I have at home and what I'm waiting for i don't think the ride on the Y is as terrible as I was lead to believe before I drove it (overnight test drive covered about 120 miles of all different types of Midwest roads) if we love the Y and the cybertruck is what I think it's going to be I think the LX is next to go and we'll be all electric we will see what the future holds

Upvote 0
We're selling our 4runner to get our model Y but we're keeping our LX570 most Lexus rides like a dream but the LX is all sorts of bounce and roll with the hydraulic suspension. The 4runner while has the legendary reliability it rides like hell. I test drove two model y versions, one with the stock 19s and one with the 20" inductions and I decided to order the inductions. The complaints about harsh rides must be from people driving big body sedans and cushy SUVs because based on what I have at home and what I'm waiting for i don't think the ride on the Y is as terrible as I was lead to believe before I drove it (overnight test drive covered about 120 miles of all different types of Midwest roads) if we love the Y and the cybertruck is what I think it's going to be I think the LX is next to go and we'll be all electrified you seec we will see what the future holds
Did you feel any difference in the 19 inch and the 20 inch wheels? I rode on the 20 inch inductions and thought the bounce was tolerable and even equal to the RX-350. So I'm wondering if the 19 inch Geminis will be even a bit better.

Upvote 0
Did you feel any difference in the 19 inch and the 20 inch wheels? I rode on the 20 inch inductions and thought the bounce was tolerable and even equal to the RX-350. So I'm wondering if the 19 inch Geminis will be even a bit better.
There was a difference for sure, but for me the aesthetics of the inductions versus the slightly more smooth ride of the Geminis was the comparison I had to decide between. I didn't think the Geminis rode much smoother than the inductions and the quality of tire on the inductions is significantly higher in my option than the stock offering on the Gemini. I live in Michigan so I'm either going to put snow tires on the inductions or get a new set of wheels for the winter but the Geminis just didn't do it for me. I realize range is the name of the game but I want to like what the car looks like as well and the matte black fin design had me hooked with the white pearl paint

Upvote 0