Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lexus RX 350 to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We traded my wife's 2018 RX350 AWD for a Model Y LR six months ago. I asked her if she regrets getting the Tesla. Her answer was definitely NO! I feel the same. It's the first car in over forty years that I really enjoy driving, or watching it drive! Lexus vehicles are nice, we've had four. But after all, they are just reliable Toyotas, with a lot of extra marketing and butt kissing thrown in!

Reactions: seniorcitizen
Upvote 0
I have an RX 350 F sport and a MY LRAWD.

I drive the Y maybe 3 out of the 5 days and the RX the other 2.
When I drive the RX, it feels like I'm on a boat and I'm sport+. The handling is horrible, body roll, no control.
The steering wheel is gigantic and thin and doesn't feel good in my hands.
The UI is outdated and horrible. The control pad to control it isn't good either.
Power is horrible.

The seats are comfy. I love the 360 pano view monitor. I surprisingly don't miss the HUD as I'm always driving on Autopilot.

Build quality in the RX is great. Everything is lined up, no gaps, it's perfect.

But I always miss being in the Y when I'm in the RX and don't even want to go back to the RX when I'm in the Y.

The RX is bigger though.
I disagree with you. RX is a great car! I love everything about it and enjoyed every moment of it. I am sure I will buy another RX in a few year when they get the full redesign.

Upvote 0
Don't forget if you're worried about the harsh ride of the Y, you can install luxury coilover packages from Unplugged or MountainPass. That's what I did and it improved the ride on my Y quite a bit. 'Course it will cost you an extra 3K$.
How many miles do you have on your MY? the reason I ask is that the suspension softens a bit after some miles appox 2.5 to 3K. I am interested in exploring either Mountain Pass or Unplugged for the comfort setting. Everytime we go out for a drive , my wife tells me she can feel the road and all the small bumps. Do you feel that the 3K was worth it or should we wait for some more time till other competing products come out and both MP and Unplugged have some data to improve their products?

Upvote 0
I do make use of Autopilot; it doesn't really work well on city streets, but on highways it's pretty great. I don't always like auto-steering; it requires that I tug at the steering wheel every so often to let it know I'm paying attention, and more often than not I pull too hard and wind up disabling it. The times I do use auto-steer, though, it's pretty good about staying in my lane.

Traffic-aware cruise control, however, is especially great: it will drive at your designated speed, slow down when you approach a slower car or if a car enters your lane (and will actually come to a complete stop if the car in front of you stops as well) and speed back up once you change lanes or the car in front of you leaves. You can easily adjust its speed and following distance using the left steering wheel knob and it feels very intuitive. On our first family trip I drove 150 miles without ever once tapping on the gas or brake, and TACC worked well, even as we entered and exited traffic jams along the way.

The Tesla's navigator and on-screen voice prompts are pretty good. I never used the Lexus' GPS, preferring my iPhone: IMO the Lexus Nav system is pretty clunky—on my 2013 GS, it was cumbersome to input a destination and its on-screen prompts were hard to understand at a glance. Tesla's is really easy to use; so much so that I don't use my iPhone anymore. The UI that presents your route and intended lanes is easy to understand at a glance; the large screen helps as well. The Tesla voice sounds eerily similar to the voice from the Lexus... same voice actress maybe? Whomever she is, clearly she's getting work 👍

EDIT: one especially awesome feature, if you have an iPhone (this might also work on Android): if you're looking at a restaurant or address on Yelp or Maps, you can hit the Share button and send it directly to your Tesla, which will then automatically start navigation. I don't know if other cars have this but this feature alone is worth buying a Tesla :D
Thanks Huno for your feedback. good to know the navigation works better in Tesla. I hate going to a location that I don't already know the directions. iPhone Maps is really weird giving directions, there is a delay, the first three or four words of the directions are cut off.
Tesla may be going away from the hands on wheel requirement and changing to your eye surveillance camera. that could have been for the FSD Beta testers only.

Upvote 0
I have an RX 350 F sport and a MY LRAWD.

I drive the Y maybe 3 out of the 5 days and the RX the other 2.
When I drive the RX, it feels like I'm on a boat and I'm sport+. The handling is horrible, body roll, no control.
The steering wheel is gigantic and thin and doesn't feel good in my hands.
The UI is outdated and horrible. The control pad to control it isn't good either.
Power is horrible.

The seats are comfy. I love the 360 pano view monitor. I surprisingly don't miss the HUD as I'm always driving on Autopilot.

Build quality in the RX is great. Everything is lined up, no gaps, it's perfect.

But I always miss being in the Y when I'm in the RX and don't even want to go back to the RX when I'm in the Y.

The RX is bigger though.
"But I always miss being in the Y when I'm in the RX and don't even want to go back to the RX when I'm in the Y". yeah, strangely I know what you mean. I had the same experience after my less than an hour test drive of the Y. Do you miss not having the roominess of the RX ? Thank you everydaychris for your helpful and generous comments.

Upvote 0
"But I always miss being in the Y when I'm in the RX and don't even want to go back to the RX when I'm in the Y". yeah, strangely I know what you mean. I had the same experience after my less than an hour test drive of the Y. Do you miss not having the roominess of the RX ? Thank you everydaychris for your helpful and generous comments.
I do not miss the space as the trunk space in the Y is great. The RX is bigger but not bigger enough for me to care as much on a day to day. However, if I have to carry lots of stuff, having an RX is nice. Overall, with all the hidden space in the Y: FRUNK, 2 large compartments under the trunk space, as well as two large areas on both sides of the trunk, I seem to have enough space to keep everything that was in the RX

Upvote 2
Thank you for your response and comparison. Did you get a whole day for the test drive?
I rented one for a day on Turo while we were on vacation. I plan on trying to get a more extended test drive (if possible) when our local service center opens. I am waiting to buy mine until then because I don’t want to travel 3hrs to pick it up or for service. I think the thing I’m going to miss the most is the service from Lexus. I have had the same service advisor for years and she really takes good care of me. They always have a loaner ready for me, even for an oil change, and she tries her best to save me money where she can. I won’t miss the expense of service visits!

Upvote 0
Has anyone upgraded their Lexus RX-350 for a model Y? Any reasons for doing so other than environmental? How does model Y compare after driving a while?
My last car before the model Y PUP was RX350 2017. Not much to compare- Lexus has a better luxury feeling and finish. Tesla is a sportier ride (at least mine is), much quicker to respond and much fun to drive. Technology wise Lexus has a good dynamic cruise control, but nothing like Tesla. The rest of the technology in Lexus is to compare a CRT TV to a QLED.

Upvote 0
Wife went from 2011 RX350 to the Y with 20' Induction wheels. She loved the Lexus but loves the Y more. Only thing she's mentioned more than once, is the firmer ride of the Y. For where we live now, road quality is good for her routes. Minimal potholes, expansion joints, recessed manhole covers, etc.

But not long ago we visited DC. Not the same type of roads. If we lived there, I'd have to get some of the stock 19" wheels with the tires with taller sidewalls to reduce some of the impact of those roads.

And I LIKE a firm sporty suspension. But yeah, the Y's suspension setup overall could use a couple tweaks downward to the "comfort" side of things, in my opinion. It could still have a nice sporty feel, but there is a reason why this hit the market so fast..

Upvote 0
Has anyone upgraded their Lexus RX-350 for a model Y? Any reasons for doing so other than environmental? How does model Y compare after driving a while?
There should be an electric version of the Lexus RX. It make sense since Lexus talks about smooth rides and they had an old commercial of stacked wine glasses on an revving car.

Why is Tesla not into having more details / sharp edge design like BMW, Lexus, Mercedes? It's all smooth. I dunno which one is better but sharp edges have a more aggressive look.

Upvote 0
There should be an electric version of the Lexus RX. It make sense since Lexus talks about smooth rides and they had an old commercial of stacked wine glasses on an revving car.

Why is Tesla not into having more details / sharp edge design like BMW, Lexus, Mercedes? It's all smooth. I dunno which one is better but sharp edges have a more aggressive look.
For an EV weight and wind resistance ( aero dynamics) are the two most important factors that determines range(miles) . Hence designers have to come up with design that not only looks good but is also very efficient from an aerodynamics point of view and strike the right balance. After all range anxiety is something all travellers have to deal with on long trips.

Upvote 0

My service advisor at Lexus told me they are working on an electric NX. She didn’t have any idea when it would be available

Upvote 0