Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery, charge to 100% each night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't charge to 100%. Unless you need that range on a daily basis don't do it. It will degrade the battery. Plenty of evidence online. 90% charge is fine if you want to feel safe from a range point of view. 90% does not affect regen. I charge at 90% on daily basis and the only times I see restrictions on regen is when I haven't preconditioned the car. 25k miles under the belt at the moment and I have 1% degradation. Car is getting charged from 40% to 90% 5 times every week(unless I am on holidays).
No thats not true in the LFP chemistry... the biggest problem is there are too many opinions online and not enough fact!

The charging regime you talk of refers to LNM chemistry batteries the new Made in China Model3s with LFP no longer have the daily charge set points as charging to 100% once per week is recommended.

Reactions: GSP and Puzuk
I have a MIC SR+ which was delivered yesterday. It came with almost no juice so I charged it to 100% overnight. There is no upper limit.

Regen this morning was exactly the same as regen yesterday at 9%. State of charge therefore makes no difference.

What might make a difference however is the battery temp. It's currently very warm here and I had scheduled departure for 6am which I assume also does battery pre-conditioning. I'll disable scheduled departure for tomorrow and feedback as to the regen experience.

I have a MIC SR+ which was delivered yesterday. It came with almost no juice so I charged it to 100% overnight. There is no upper limit.

Regen this morning was exactly the same as regen yesterday at 9%. State of charge therefore makes no difference.
I have seen some discussion that the LFP battery may have a 'hidden' buffer meaning that 100% charges are not absolutely filling the battery and also that there is still some capacity to use regen at a quoted 100% level.

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant, I was referring to the 10% increments (50-100) but I just went and and shifted my limit and recognize what you were saying where it stops at 90%. That too has always been there on mine, in fact it was that and how the line is presented differently at 90 and 100% why I emailed Tesla asking about 100% charge. They did respond (I have a 50% success rate so far with responses🙄) recommending 100% charge once a week.

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant, I was referring to the 10% increments (50-100) but I just went and and shifted my limit and recognize what you were saying where it stops at 90%. That too has always been there on mine, in fact it was that and how the line is presented differently at 90 and 100% why I emailed Tesla asking about 100% charge. They did respond (I have a 50% success rate so far with responses🙄) recommending 100% charge once a week.

Yes - I'm actually quite ambivalent on whether I charge to 90%, 80% or 100%.
Of course the pedant in me wants to see 100% daily, but I just want whats best for the car in the long term.

I’m not working much at the moment due to covid, so I leave mine at 55%. This would get me to work and back with a few % of ‘fumes’ remaining 😂 is why. The consensus for storage says around 50% but that was for NCA, I’ve not read much in this front for LFP so who knows if I’m doing good or bad? For daily use when I actually work, I charge to 90%. This allows me a work commute, plus any other things should I take a detour.

There is an absolute stack of Info/opinions out there, this thread Should LFP batteries be charged to 100%?

has some interesting info from mpandrew on the first page.

I’m not working much at the moment due to covid, so I leave mine at 55%. This would get me to work and back with a few % of ‘fumes’ remaining 😂 is why. The consensus for storage says around 50% but that was for NCA, I’ve not read much in this front for LFP so who knows if I’m doing good or bad? For daily use when I actually work, I charge to 90%. This allows me a work commute, plus any other things should I take a detour.

There is an absolute stack of Info/opinions out there, this thread Should LFP batteries be charged to 100%?

has some interesting info from mpandrew on the first page.
Oh yes, I've read that thread with great interest.
I suppose if LFP is really all that it's cracked up to be, it won't matter too much either way.

Reactions: Leeroy
I don't find it at all easy or quick to set a figure - much better if they had a keypad you could enter the number with eg. 80%.
Yep agreed, and it seems to have gotten worse trying to set in the car. At least the app shows the % my butterfingers have landed on. Probably a moot point seeing mine seems to charge a tad above each time.