Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery charging benefits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, couldn't see this posted anywhere so I'm hoping someone knows something here.

I had recently heard on a podcast that one of the benefits of the LFP-type chemistry is that the curve of the charge 'flattens' as you get closer to a full battery. This means that it's actually faster to charge the battery as it gets closer to full, compared to the NMC chemistry. Has this information been substantiated somewhere, I couldn't find anything online specific to that, so I'm hoping someone here knows.

Thanks!

...faster to charge the battery...

KinStar seems to agree with "Quick Charging" but I don't know the rationale:

"What are the advantages and disadvantages of LiFePO4 battery?​

Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery differ from Lithium-ion battery which using phosphate as anode material. It is popular use to motive batteries, such as electric bikes, motorcycles, light electric vehicles and pure electric vehicle.

LiFePO4 battery advantages:

Longer cycle life - LiFePO4 batteries offers a longer cycle life than Lithium-ion batteries and Lithium-ion Polymer batteries. Qualified LiFePO4 cells should remain 80% DOD after 2000 cycles of charging and discharging.

Safety and stability - LiFePO4 batteries has one key advantage over other Lithium-ion batteries is the superior thermal and chemical stability, which provides better safety characteristics than Lithium-ion batteries with other cathode materials.

Constant output power - Unlike other Lithium-ion batteries, LiFePO4 batteries have a very constant discharge voltage. Voltage stays close to 3.2 V during discharge until the cell is exhausted. This allows the cell to deliver virtually full power until it is discharged.

Environmentally friendly - LiFePO4 batteries are non-toxic, non-contaminating and contain no rare earth metals, making them an environmentally conscious choice. The use of LiFePO4 also reduces the cost and environmental concerns of Lithium Cobalt cells, particularly in regards of cobalt entering the environment through improper disposal.

There are also other advantages same as Lithium-ion battery:

Low self-discharge

Non memory effect

Quick Charging

Low maintenance

No requirement for priming

LiFePO4 battery disadvantages:

* Lower energy density - The energy density of LiFePO4 battery is lower than Lithium-ion batteries, e.g. the highest capacity of LiFePO4 18650 battery is 1800mAh, but the highest Lithium-ion 18650 battery can be 3600mAh(Made by Panasonic).

* Poor performance under low temperature - LiFePO4 batteries has poor performance when discharging at -20℃. However, low temperature Lithium-ion or Lithium Polymer batteries can discharge at -40℃ and output 70-80% DOD.

* Low tap density - Tap density of LiFePO4 batteries only 0.8-1.3, that makes them lost the condition to use on small portable devices like mobile phone. So most of LiFePO4 batteries are using as power batteries for electric bikes, LEV or EV.

Other disadvantages are similar to Lithium-ion battery:

* Protection required

* Aging effect

* Transportation problems

* Deep discharge"

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and DOCAL
Hey gang, couldn't see this posted anywhere so I'm hoping someone knows something here.

I had recently heard on a podcast that one of the benefits of the LFP-type chemistry is that the curve of the charge 'flattens' as you get closer to a full battery. This means that it's actually faster to charge the battery as it gets closer to full, compared to the NMC chemistry. Has this information been substantiated somewhere, I couldn't find anything online specific to that, so I'm hoping someone here knows.

Thanks!
Yes it has by several people. One example MIC Tesla Model 3 SR+ Fast Charging Test Reveals Strong Results

Reactions: theothertom

Thanks!

Anecdotal: My new lfp SR+ was about 30% charged when I got it back home and plugged it into a standard wall outlet. It started charging at about 6 miles of range per hour. I thought, ”Fine, but as the total charge builds up, the 6 miles per hour will start to diminish.” Not. Turns out it just plugs its way along at 6miles per hour all the way up to 100%.

Reactions: alset3000
Anecdotal: My new lfp SR+ was about 30% charged when I got it back home and plugged it into a standard wall outlet. It started charging at about 6 miles of range per hour. I thought, ”Fine, but as the total charge builds up, the 6 miles per hour will start to diminish.” Not. Turns out it just plugs its way along at 6miles per hour all the way up to 100%.
...because that's only about 1.4 kW. The tapering curve will eventually lower that from the 12 amps it was doing down to single digit amps, but not until it is nearly to 100%.

Aha! So there is a tapering curve for lfp batteries. Is it
...because that's only about 1.4 kW. The tapering curve will eventually lower that from the 12 amps it was doing down to single digit amps, but not until it is nearly to 100%.
Aha! So by the time it gets pushed down lower than 12 amps, it’s only 1 micron away from being 100%, so any tiny number of amps at all will get it there right away.

Has this information been substantiated somewhere, I couldn't find anything online specific to that, so I'm hoping someone here knows.
Scroll down about half way in this link to the DC fast charging graph. Compare the black line to the red line.

That's the case with NCM batteries also. 6 miles/hour is peanuts.

Reactions: theothertom