Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just contacted my Tesla rep for the Model 3 SR+ I ordered and requested a change to the LFP battery pack. I live in Southern California and don't need to worry about the weather and I plan to keep the car for 10-12 years. The Iron-based pack seems like it would fit my driving/charging habits best and would according to Elon himself, theoretically last longer than the normal NCA battery pack. Let's see how this changes my EDD. From what I've seen, most people who make this change receive their car sooner because the LFP packs are easier to make and require less time to make them.

Those of you with LFP vehicles, what range are you seeing on a 100% charge? I read elsewhere that some LFP vehicles are getting 262 miles, in spite of the inventory listing showing 253 miles, as a result of an update. Mine is showing about 253 at 100%. I have version 2021.11.103.

Those of you with LFP vehicles, what range are you seeing on a 100% charge? I read elsewhere that some LFP vehicles are getting 262 miles, in spite of the inventory listing showing 253 miles, as a result of an update. Mine is showing about 253 at 100%. I have version 2021.11.103.
Same. I thought 262 mi was with 2021.24 according to the Europeans with lfp... I think the 2021.11.103 unlocked the battery capacity as shown in scan my tesla (2.5kwh reserve vs 5kwh reserve) but doesn't show on range.

Same. I thought 262 mi was with 2021.24 according to the Europeans with lfp... I think the 2021.11.103 unlocked the battery capacity as shown in scan my tesla (2.5kwh reserve vs 5kwh reserve) but doesn't show on range.
To add to my mystery, when I reserved my vehicle it was an inventory vehicle and the listing showed 253 miles of range. I confirmed with my sales person that it is an LFP vehicle. It does not have the Daily and Trip notations on the charging page. And it weighs 212 lbs more than the NCA vehicles. I did not receive a window sticker when I took delivery. My sales person just emailed it to me. It shows 262 miles of range.

Attachments

• ADCEF475-601E-4FC4-9006-655F82BDB085.jpeg
    ADCEF475-601E-4FC4-9006-655F82BDB085.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 121
I don’t think I’ve seen a post from anybody with an LFP SR+ that could be charged to more than 254. Especially not anybody who is working with version 2021.11.103, as I am. I’ve been operating under the assumption that at some point, there will be an over-the-air update of the LFP SR+ cars, which will result in them being able to access another 2 or 3 percent of their total physical battery space, and upping the amount of charge they accept. Is there anybody out there who has a LFP SR+ running with version 2021.11.103 that can actually be charged to 260+ range-miles? (Not just a sticker that says they can be charged that high, but they can actually be charged that high.) If so, can you please drop us a post or two on this thread? For that matter is there anybody who can charge their LFP SR+ to more than 260 period (regardless of what firmware version they are running)? Again, please let us all know!

I read elsewhere that some LFP vehicles are getting 262 miles, in spite of the inventory listing showing 253 miles, as a result of an update.

Where are those reports coming from? Because if it is coming from the EU it probably doesn't count, since I don't think they use the EPA rating for their range estimates. (They use the WLTP test cycle which gives a higher estimated range than the EPA estimates.)

I thought 262 mi was with 2021.24 according to the Europeans with lfp...

I am referring to first person reports by US buyers posting in the SR+ waiting room.
I don’t think I’ve seen a post from anybody with an LFP SR+ that could be charged to more than 254. Especially not anybody who is working with version 2021.11.103, as I am. I’ve been operating under the assumption that at some point, there will be an over-the-air update of the LFP SR+ cars, which will result in them being able to access another 2 or 3 percent of their total physical battery space, and upping the amount of charge they accept. Is there anybody out there who has a LFP SR+ running with version 2021.11.103 that can actually be charged to 260+ range-miles? (Not just a sticker that says they can be charged that high, but they can actually be charged that high.) If so, can you please drop us a post or two on this thread? For that matter is there anybody who can charge their LFP SR+ to more than 260 period (regardless of what firmware version they are running)? Again, please let us all know!
I came across this video who talks about unlocking extra 3kw/h on his LFP battery M3

Yes, that kind of typifies the situation. This was posted about 11 days ago and did the guy follow up since then? He appears to be saying that 2.5% of the battery has actually already been reclaimed by an update but the range display software just isn’t showing the increase yet. OK, then follow up and show us how your range is now 260+. Even if he does follow up, there is still kind of a problem because “range” is an arbitrary measurement calculated by a Tesla algorithm which is limited by a lack of data as far as what the driving conditions and the driver style is going to be. The only way to actually drive and (sort of) prove the 260+ “Range” would be by driving a totally flat road with no stops at a slow speed.

Really, since “range” is just a product of Tesla’s algorithm, we pretty much need to see that algorithm in action, displaying the 263 “range” as it drops lower and lower on its way to zero. Then we can really make some kind of metrical use of the increased “range”.

And besides this guy who made a video and then went MIA, I read about people posting on here saying their range has increased. But for some reason I’ve never seen one of these posts. It’s always somebody saying that they saw a post where somebody said their range increased.

I’m happy to have the MIA guy be right, that we have already gained about 2.5% of the battery back for our own driving use, and we just can’t see it displayed yet. But we exactly need it to be displayed for it to be particularly useful. If a battery has 1000 miles of range available but only shows 253, we’ve got an awesome battery but we’re going to have a lot of trouble trying to figure out when it is going to run low on charge.

So we need to see the range as calculated by the Tesla algorithm, taking into account the new battery capacity. And when that happens, its going to need to be more than one guy who makes a video and then disappears, or a couple more guys who think they saw a post by somebody else who had 263 miles of range. There will be a growing stream of SR+ drivers posting on here about how they are suddenly charging up to 260+ “range”.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
To add to my mystery, when I reserved my vehicle it was an inventory vehicle and the listing showed 253 miles of range. I confirmed with my sales person that it is an LFP vehicle. It does not have the Daily and Trip notations on the charging page. And it weighs 212 lbs more than the NCA vehicles. I did not receive a window sticker when I took delivery. My sales person just emailed it to me. It shows 262 miles of range.
The sticker you show also lists the economy as 141/149/132 MPGe (overall/city/highway). For comparison, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD lists the NCA version economy as 142/150/133 MPGe. So basically the same.

Later comments to this YouTube video indicate that version 2021.24.4 results in a change to the stated range for the vehicle (and that European vehicles get a different version, 2021.24.5). I don’t have that update so can’t confirm.
Yes the comments seem about right. So now SR+ users in the U.S. need to start seeing the updates, which is what I have been waiting for. But it is nice to have a specific release number to look for as opposed to just “anything different than 2021.11.103”.

Last edited:
I picked my LFP SR+ and it's been great so far. Charged it to 100% at home on a 120v. Question is, is it ok to supercharge to 100%? I wasn't sure I charged up to 90% the other day to try and it seemed to charge up very quickly (50-90%) but I'm going to be taking a road trip soon and was wondering if I can charge to 100 if I have the time in one of my stops...there aren't many chargers near my destination
What kind of MI/Hr were seeing charging on 120V with mobile charger on LFP pack?

Hello everyone!

I received my M3 SR+ three days before. Amazing car! There are some issues will be addressed by local Tesla service center.
However, I am really confused after discussion with the country service manager.
He told me that many SR+ have LFP batteries but also many have CATL Batteries.

Is there CATL battery type?! I thought I was the LFP.
Is ther any chance my car not to have LFP battery? It's EU model made in Chine (LRW Vin). Also in charging option I don't see daily and trip limit