Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sounds accurate. I spoke to Tesla today - I have had a Model 3 SR+ on order since September, and they were showing an expected delivery of Oct 26-Nov 23rd. At my request the rep delayed my order until January (which was the original delivery date anyway when I placed the order) to make sure I can get the tax incentive if it passes. She also confirmed my car would NOT have an LFP battery and those were only made available for a short period to fulfill a backlog of orders. A little disappointed in that since the charging to 100% is a huge benefit in my mind. I'll still take delivery though, the cost of the car has already gone up $2k since I placed my order. I'll also try as the time gets closer to request an LFP battery via in the internal list.
Tesla is still making the Model 3 SR+ with the LFP battery. I got mine off of the normal inventory page and accepted delivery the next day. The sticker window says my car was made in October.

253 miles
Thanks martinmac85! I don’t know why, but I keep hoping that someday I will get a software update that will cause my mileage range to display at > 260 (consistently), but it looks like that won’t be happening soon. Which seems odd, since (my understanding is) the Europeans with LFP batteries already have an upgrade that shows them a 100% range of > 260 miles (or at least the kilometer equivalent of > 260 miles)…

Reactions: martinmac85
Thanks martinmac85! I don’t know why, but I keep hoping that someday I will get a software update that will cause my mileage range to display at > 260 (consistently), but it looks like that won’t be happening soon. Which seems odd, since (my understanding is) the Europeans with LFP batteries already have an upgrade that shows them a 100% range of > 260 miles (or at least the kilometer equivalent of > 260 miles)…
But the European's range estimate is based on the WLTP test cycle, which is overly optimistic, isn't it? (While the range estimate in the US is based on the EPA test cycle.)

But the European's range estimate is based on the WLTP test cycle, which is overly optimistic, isn't it? (While the range estimate in the US is based on the EPA test cycle.)
My understanding is that the Europeans had pretty much the same range estimate as we did, after a software update recovered about 3% of unused battery space from the lfp batteries. But both their range and ours still displayed the original range estimates from before the additional battery space was co-opted. Then the Europeans received a software update that we did not receive, which caused their range displays to more correctly reflect the additional range from the recovered battery space.

So I have been waiting for us to get a similar software update, and I was assuming that the next software update would be the one that would cause our displayed range to regularly go up above 260. Not much to ask for, in my eyes: if they can put the 262 on the car sticker, why can’t they put it on the 100% range display? But it looks like martinamac85 and maclean525 and Xarthan have all gotten upgrades to their software that did not affect their displayed range. So I am sad and disconsolate…

My understanding is that the Europeans had pretty much the same range estimate as we did, after a software update recovered about 3% of unused battery space from the lfp batteries. But both their range and ours still displayed the original range estimates from before the additional battery space was co-opted. Then the Europeans received a software update that we did not receive, which caused their range displays to more correctly reflect the additional range from the recovered battery space.

So I have been waiting for us to get a similar software update, and I was assuming that the next software update would be the one that would cause our displayed range to regularly go up above 260. Not much to ask for, in my eyes: if they can put the 262 on the car sticker, why can’t they put it on the 100% range display? But it looks like martinamac85 and maclean525 and Xarthan have all gotten upgrades to their software that did not affect their displayed range. So I am sad and disconsolate…
The window sticker on my LFP car delivered last month shows 262 miles of range. I bet Tesla will eventually update the car so that the display eventually agrees with that.

You’re welcome! I think we’re in a pretty good spot having these LFP battery packs. I’m pretty sure we’ll get some cool updates in the future and from what I’ve heard, LFP can actually increase range on its own by learning your driving habits and charging often.

But UK car reports EPA of 263 @ 100%. The WLTP is just used in adverts.
My car charges to 263 miles and not advertised WLTP 278 miles...
Screenshot_20211016-203815_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff

I picked my Fremont made LFP M3 in September. I got one update, and now have 2021.36 version. Max range is still 253 at 100% SOC.

Which is worse? To get an update and still show 253 miles of range? Or to not even get an update after 6 weeks of ownership? Hopefully there will soon be somebody from the U.S. out there who has received an update that causes the 100% SOC range to show at 262, and they will post in this thread and state their release version and their > 260 range at 100% SOC…

Reactions: martinmac85
Which is worse? To get an update and still show 253 miles of range? Or to not even get an update after 6 weeks of ownership? Hopefully there will soon be somebody from the U.S. out there who has received an update that causes the 100% SOC range to show at 262, and they will post in this thread and state their release version and their > 260 range at 100% SOC…
Yeah, I think we'll eventually see that update, but right now there are so few of us LFP owners in the U.S., I doubt we're on Tesla's radar to reflect the added 9 miles. I'm just excited to be able to charge to 100%! :cool:

I think that's an interesting, but expected development. The LFP cars are heavier, but the SR+ had a smaller pack anyway so I assume it's still lighter than a LR/P, though I haven't checked. The LFP batteries are supposed to be able to handle charging to 100% better than NMC (on both charge speed and battery degredation measures). They also are much less prone to overheating or catching fire. It'll be interesting to see a head-to-head comparison in the US.

I think that's an interesting, but expected development. The LFP cars are heavier, but the SR+ had a smaller pack anyway so I assume it's still lighter than a LR/P, though I haven't checked. The LFP batteries are supposed to be able to handle charging to 100% better than NMC (on both charge speed and battery degredation measures). They also are much less prone to overheating or catching fire. It'll be interesting to see a head-to-head comparison in the US.

Less energy dense and I'm not sure about power output. 0-60 numbers might take a slight hit (also because of the weight).

For SR+ this is probably non-critical since it isn't a performance model.

Lfp sr+ has performance rear motor. Some believe this is why 0to60 rated stayed the same despite the extra 260lb weight. Note that the lfp usable battery capacity is also larger than nca to achieve similar range with the weight hit.

Biggest unknown is cold weather range and performance. I know the cold weather charging was fixed via Ota in Europe and China...

Reactions: voxel and Baluchi