Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I doubt it... specs on us lfp match the mic lfp 55kwh pretty well. There were several scan my tesla posts showing capacity and buffer change due to the firmware release in September. It's possible but I doubt it.

Glad I picked up my mine. However, I am uncertain if I received an LFP battery. From looking on TMC and other online sources, I see that the 7th letter on the VIN should be "F," the curb weight, and when charging, LFP's do not show "Daily" or "Trip." Mine has the LFP curb weight and doesn't show "Daily or "Trip." However, the 7th letter on my VIN is "E." On Reddit, it looks like other owners have come across the same issue.

Does anyone know of any other ways to verify if I have an LFP battery? I am eager to charge it up to 100% but do not want to hurt my battery if it isn't what I think it is.

Glad I picked up my mine. However, I am uncertain if I received an LFP battery. From looking on TMC and other online sources, I see that the 7th letter on the VIN should be "F," the curb weight, and when charging, LFP's do not show "Daily" or "Trip." Mine has the LFP curb weight and doesn't show "Daily or "Trip." However, the 7th letter on my VIN is "E." On Reddit, it looks like other owners have come across the same issue.

Does anyone know of any other ways to verify if I have an LFP battery? I am eager to charge it up to 100% but do not want to hurt my battery if it isn't what I think it is.

Your own quotes answer your question:

Mine has the LFP curb weight and doesn't show "Daily or "Trip."

If it doesnt show daily or trip in the car, its a LFP battery.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Should be a roughly 9% increase from 253 to 276 miles, unless they use some of that 5kWh for additional buffer?
You ended up being close….but it’s hard to predict these things because it depends on whether Tesla voluntarily reduces the range obtained in the test. If they do that, they end up with a lower displayed range but higher energy content rated miles. Also the LFPs may not extract as much energy in the cold test, and that will hurt their scalar value, bringing it towards 0.7.

The 55.4kWh or so of the first LFP had 262-mile range, though it does not yet display as such. So for a battery with true 60kWh capacity I would guess it would have closer to 284-mile range. So that suggests to me with the current 272-mile rating they may have sand-bagged a little, or voluntarily reduced the result. Or of course the 60kWh actually only has 57.5kWh or something!

All will become clear when people receive the vehicles and the EPA docs produced by Tesla’s testing laboratory are published.

Everything shifts a little - heavier battery means less efficient, different battery means less efficient at extraction of energy in some scenarios. All will be clear in the documents.

It’s very likely the buffer will be 4.5% as normal given that is what it is for the recent LFPs. This doesn’t affect the EPA range, anyway.

Hello from the UK - Tesla informed me that my SR+ will have a 305 mile range.

The 8th letter in my VIN is J. This indicates the new, more efficient motor (Hence the range increase).
That's interesting. J is the motor built in China so it could definitely explain the change in the 0-60 times as well. My LFP has the 980 motor from the M3 Performance. Seems like that was a stop gap measure before they could switch to the new motor with lower performance and higher range. My car is advertised as 253 range but the new cars in the US show 267.

That's interesting. J is the motor built in China so it could definitely explain the change in the 0-60 times as well. My LFP has the 980 motor from the M3 Performance. Seems like that was a stop gap measure before they could switch to the new motor with lower performance and higher range. My car is advertised as 253 range but the new cars in the US show 267.
Makes sense. When I saw the new 0-60 time my first thought was they weren't using the performance motor anymore, but it didn't occur to me they were using a more efficient motor to help get the range increase. I'm still waiting for my car (Late Dec EDD) Very curious to see if I get an LFP car and what range/motor/etc. Also curious to learn why the MIC LFP cars are now 305 mile range vs 272 for Fremont.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Makes sense. When I saw the new 0-60 time my first thought was they weren't using the performance motor anymore, but it didn't occur to me they were using a more efficient motor to help get the range increase. I'm still waiting for my car (Late Dec EDD) Very curious to see if I get an LFP car and what range/motor/etc. Also curious to learn why the MIC LFP cars are now 305 mile range vs 272 for Fremont.
I'm right there with you. My EDD was jumping around a lot but just in the past 3-4 days stopped changing and now for the first time I'm within the estimated window (11/5 - 12/3). Really wondering if I'll be getting the SR+ or RWD specs, and which flavor battery will be installed. I'm in the SF Bay Area so will be getting a car built in Fremont.

Reactions: TexaCali
I'm right there with you. My EDD was jumping around a lot but just in the past 3-4 days stopped changing and now for the first time I'm within the estimated window (11/5 - 12/3). Really wondering if I'll be getting the SR+ or RWD specs, and which flavor battery will be installed. I'm in the SF Bay Area so will be getting a car built in Fremont.
Things change quickly, just got my VIN :) Battery type is E (Lion), motor is A, and model year is M (2021). Interestingly using the VIN decoder on teslatap.com the check character in digit 9 doesn't match what it should be. Not sure what that means, but not too worried about it.

Reactions: TexaCali
Things change quickly, just got my VIN :) Battery type is E (Lion), motor is A, and model year is M (2021). Interestingly using the VIN decoder on teslatap.com the check character in digit 9 doesn't match what it should be. Not sure what that means, but not too worried about it.
I've heard recent cases where the VIN decoder wasn't accurate, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the decoder. But congrats on getting a car! When is the delivery date?

I've heard recent cases where the VIN decoder wasn't accurate, so I wouldn't put too much faith in the decoder. But congrats on getting a car! When is the delivery date?
No delivery date yet. When the VIN was assigned I was thinking that the car is done, but now realizing that it only means that a VIN has been designated and there are instances of assigned VINs disappearing from peoples apps. Fingers crossed that won't happen and since I'm doing a pick up at the factory there won't be any transportation time so I'm hopeful the time from VIN to driving a car will be pretty short.