Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP - LR and Performance for model 3? [does not currently exist]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooooo… will there be any in the future? I’m looking at the performance variant in the future and looking forward to charging to 100%. I heard the speed might be lowered on both due to the LFP battery…. I’ve also heard there might not be even an LFP version for the LR and P because the battery is not capable of it??? Very unsure… if anyone would be willing to discuss! Thanks in advance.

Compared to NCA batteries, LFP batteries are larger and heavier for the same energy capacity. So a 60kWh (RWD/SR+) LFP battery fills up probably as much space as an 82kWh (LR/P) NCA battery. Since that is all of the battery space available in a Model 3, the LR/P is not going to get the LFP battery, or at least the current type.
Is it too much to ask for a miracle… 🙏 thanks for the reply. This, as I thought too, is also sadly the truth then… for now

Is it a miracle to charge to 100% every night rather than 90%?
I own a preowned m3lr 2021 that has 10% degraded battery so the max Retention is 325 Vs 353 EPA, I charge mine to 80% (250 miles) which is plenty for daily long trips and to avoid anymore degradation (I’m paranoid heheh) But it’s very plenty for me. So for me, imagining to be able to charge to 100% (and its apparently not that damaging) sounds very miracle/dreamy for me. This is just me though, as a second hand owner - was too impatient and found a decent preowned, in my book.

I own a preowned m3lr 2021 that has 10% degraded battery so the max Retention is 325 Vs 353 EPA, I charge mine to 80% (250 miles) which is plenty for daily long trips and to avoid anymore degradation (I’m paranoid heheh) But it’s very plenty for me. So for me, imagining to be able to charge to 100% (and its apparently not that damaging) sounds very miracle/dreamy for me. This is just me though, as a second hand owner - was too impatient and found a decent preowned, in my book.
Specifically, I mean to say charging an M3P to 100% right before your departure a couple times a month isn’t going to significantly impact battery life.

Specifically, I mean to say charging an M3P to 100% right before your departure a couple times a month isn’t going to significantly impact battery life.
my reasoning and understanding is 10% degradation is inevitable/common and maybe losing more too- I am very paranoid of it because before getting the used LR, Ive had to see multiple used m3s and two (2021) Ps were only 10-13k miles and already lost 10% for some reason. Don’t really know why... So in my mind, if I could switch to a new (possibly but not likely to happen) LFP Performance in the future,it would be nice knowing that I could charge it full 100% and floor it, being able to have no range anxiety with that extra 20% full charge. When I test drove the P, it was so easy to get 10% taken away with the 30mins I had with it. I have to drive a lot to LA (160 miles every trip) and given how the m3s conditions were the LR I chose seemed best... But I still wish I had a P but maybe when I move back and can just be more local. Charging to 100% ”a couple times a month“ wouldnt cut it, I had the LR for only 3 weeks and I already added 3k miles! It’s insane! ;) ;) ;) ;) - Sorry, that’s why it would be a miracle to “me” ;) ;) ;) ;)

Haha roger. Though, to be fair, you should be able to comfortably make the 160-mile trip with even 85% charge (arriving with around 10-15%), since you’ll need to charge at your destination anyways! I admit this is picking on your one specific example. But, in that example having an extra 20ish miles of range from that last 10% of charge probably wouldn’t be significant for the trip, other than you’d need an extra $2-4 of Supercharging to get back home.

But we can certainly agree driving these cars is a blast! I am at 2k miles after 11 days of ownership (which is admittedly not the norm, but I relished the idea of an 1800mile road trip starting day 0 :p . )

Haha roger. Though, to be fair, you should be able to comfortably make the 160-mile trip with even 85% charge (arriving with around 10-15%), since you’ll need to charge at your destination anyways!
With 80% charge I get back around with 25-30% going at even 65-75mile speeds 😈 which is well enough for me and I’m very very pleased! I had a previous used standard range plus that I had to return because even going 60-65 speeds for a trip at max 100% came back with 20% with 10% degradation, including that I could still not freely go to places- very bad range anxiety and traffic anxiety. I can’t stress it enough but I very much hope lfp tech for lr or p is possible but the weight of the battery and just how it is seems unlikely 😢 I would like to be a bit more aggressive on clear paths on the freeway on my trips, being able to utilize the acceleration/speed the car can do by having it at 100% 😈
I am at 2k miles after 11 days of ownership (which is admittedly not the norm, but I relished the idea of an 1800mile road trip starting day 0 :p . )
Beautiful.
But we can certainly agree driving these cars is a blast!

Agreed ;)

Compared to NCA batteries, LFP batteries are larger and heavier for the same energy capacity. So a 60kWh (RWD/SR+) LFP battery fills up probably as much space as an 82kWh (LR/P) NCA battery. Since that is all of the battery space available in a Model 3, the LR/P is not going to get the LFP battery, or at least the current type.
100% the case here. LFP for 3/Y (SR in China) fills the pack enclosure to the same extent that the 2170 cell modules do.