Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP. Weekly Charging vs Daily Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which also begs the question about what value is the battery warranty unless you have a near total failure.
Very good point, I doubt many people would ever have their battery replaced due to >30% degradation. There would have to be something very wrong with the battery to achieve that in 8 years, even if you abuse it.

At 10% degradation, I doubt you'd even notice during normal use because most of that will be hidden by the BMS. Maybe on a road trip with 20% loss, but if you are charger hopping - it probably won't bother you, not to mention the car will probably be 10+ years old anyway. The more I think about it, the more I see degradation as being totally irrelevant on new generation EV's with large batteries. In fact, the more I research and have this very discussion makes me more comfortable charging my LFP to 100% whenever I like.

Last edited:
I took the ardous task of reading the manual:

Model Y has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model Y for several weeks.

There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly.

At 70% my car used to show an EPA range of 304 km = 189 miles. Now, after more than a month without any full charging, at 70% it shows 300 km = 186 miles. This slight reduction could be a mixture of slight degradation and a pessimistic Battery Management System (BMS). I will see what it shows after my next long trip.

i've only got 1600km on a 22rwd and im seeing contradictory numbers on my display. since last 100% charge the trip display says I've used 16kwh over 120km which adds up to the 135wh/km. The battery display says 53% left, the range says 228km which suggests my 2nd half of a tank will be almost twice as efficient as the first half. Does this need to be run into lower %'s now and then to get a decent estimate, and it not, which remaining figure is likely to be accurate? 240km of suburban driving would be very disappointing range.

Energy use while parked (including sentry, cabin & battery heating/cooling etc) is not counted, so unless you're comparing numbers immediately before and after a trip you can't compare them with the battery percentage.
sentry's been on about 8 hours of that time, cabin heating etc not in use when parked, only overheat protection switched on which wouldnt be hit at this time of year. cant see anything that would account for 20% discrepancy in battery used

If that 120km is lots of smaller trips then that would account for a lot of it, from my observations there seems to be some kind of fixed startup/shutdown cost (bringing battery/cabin up to temperature? Cooling and drying things out afterwards? Energising the motor windings? no idea).

I've been testing my Model 3 with 60 kWh LFP battery for several months now. I charge to exactly 70%, except before a longer drive. If I know I'll have to charge while travelling, I always charge to 100% and usually keep the battery at 100% for a couple of hours before setting out.

At 70% my car used to show an EPA range of 304 km = 189 miles. Now, after more than a month without any full charging, at 70% it shows 300 km = 186 miles. This slight reduction could be a mixture of slight degradation and a pessimistic Battery Management System (BMS). I will see what it shows after my next long trip.

But what I can already see is that there is no serious problem. With these numbers it is unlikely that the battery will run empty before showing 0%. So my recommendation is to use this charging strategy and check whether the displayed range at your favorite percentage rises from week to week or from month to month. If it does, you should charge to 100% to recalibrate the BMS. I guess though that the displayed range will never rise, so you can stick to this charging strategy and rely on the BMS to keep you on the safe side, by being pessimistic.

It won't hurt to charge to 100% once every one, two, or three months to recalibrate the BMS and to check whether you're still on the safe side.

As has been written before, charging to 70% is a measure to reduce the battery's calendar degradation. It won't make a huge difference, but if you plan to drive your car for longer than 10 years, it may still be worth the little trouble. Measurably less degradation may translate into a higher price for the used car.
it's a LFP battery just charge to 100% all the time or at least once a week.

Reactions: Braz
sentry's been on about 8 hours of that time, cabin heating etc not in use when parked, only overheat protection switched on which wouldnt be hit at this time of year. cant see anything that would account for 20% discrepancy in battery used
The following video might be helpful, to add to it you'll need to take into the consideration the power draw of your Ryzen chip which was significant enough that 2022 owners had to accept reduced range.

Interested in what others have seen as maximum limit charge after 12-24 months
I didn’t check ours at the beginning but 12 months on it’s gone from 421 to now 412. I am not sure what it was to begin with. M3 standard July 21 build

Posted this on Whirlpool but for those that don't play with the kids here you go.
It's interesting and also illustrates why going beyond zero in a LFP Tesla might not be such a good idea.
If you're still searching for a charger after hitting 0% and driving another 55km .. an immediate stop should be your punishment!

I think it's quite amazing. 7kW energy buffer. 0% and still doing 6.3s 0-100. My 2019 3 only has 3kW which equates to about 20-25km doing hypermiling speeds and at 0%, hardly any acceleration available.

If you're still searching for a charger after hitting 0% and driving another 55km .. an immediate stop should be your punishment!

I think it's quite amazing. 7kW energy buffer. 0% and still doing 6.3s 0-100. My 2019 3 only has 3kW which equates to about 20-25km doing hypermiling speeds and at 0%, hardly any acceleration available.
I don't think the energy buffer is correct. The car he used was brand new so the battery wouldn't have been calibrated as it probably never had a full charge so the BMS would be way out. I read somewhere else that the buffer can display as such until it gets a full charge(s) and I know that others have reported it is about 2.5 kW so the same as usual with the M3's

• Disagree
Reactions: mike_j
I don't think the energy buffer is correct. The car he used was brand new so the battery wouldn't have been calibrated as it probably never had a full charge so the BMS would be way out. I read somewhere else that the buffer can display as such until it gets a full charge(s) and I know that others have reported it is about 2.5 kW so the same as usual with the M3's
Screenshot_20220808-131658.png

I see your 7kwh energy buffer and raise you 14kwh!

CAN BMS seem to easily get out of whack on LFP chemistries. Only the SOC UI, Avg, Min, Max seem to track properly. The other CAN read SOC values and others seem to not be reliable on LFP cars.

Getting to 100% seems to track pretty well with when the otherwise flat 3.3V ish LFP battery voltage seems to rise. So at least it seems to know where the top is. I don't often hit below 50% so that may confuse the BMS, or maybe those value should not be relied on for LFP.

Cause I mean my ideal remaining 66kwh on a nominal 59kwh pack is amazing right?

Note these values are not available to the typical owner and all the owner facing values seem ok.

View attachment 861003

CAN BMS seem to easily get out of whack on LFP chemistries. Only the SOC UI, Avg, Min, Max seem to track properly. The other CAN read SOC values and others seem to not be reliable on LFP cars.

Getting to 100% seems to track pretty well with when the otherwise flat 3.3V ish LFP battery voltage seems to rise. So at least it seems to know where the top is. I don't often hit below 50% so that may confuse the BMS, or maybe those value should not be relied on for LFP.

Note these values are not available to the typical owner and all the owner facing values seem ok.
Could it be that scan my tesla is out and not reporting some values correctly?

By rights, if the buffer being reported by scan my tesla is that large then your range on the car screen would be way low and pretty sure the internet would have blown up by now with people reporting that there cars have lost so much range.
LFP certainly different to the usual NMC/NMA battery.

What app do you use to capture data above?
View attachment 861003