Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LG E5D Battery charge speed increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure what type of battery I have in my 3 LR MIC but I get 174 kw at 30% and easilily hit 240+ if 10% SOC
You can check the type of battery on your registration papers. You should see a code similar with E5CD or E5LD (latest LG battery) or something like that if your car has a different battery or is older. When searching on internet for the mentioned codes you will find details about the battery manufacturer, type and capacity.

I gather some nice overviews about batteries used in M3 over time: Tesla Model 3 Battery types

2020 Model 3 AWD, picture taken on a hot day after a long ride, no preconditioning.
I remember I started charging at 4% SoC. I'm not sure how long the power stayed at 250 kW, though. At this point it doesn't matter to me if it's a couple 10 kW more or less. Much like what @zef3215 wrote, it's so fast that you barely have the time to grab a snack and visit the loo.

20200708_182107.jpg

Reactions: zef3215
2020 Model 3 AWD, picture taken on a hot day after a long ride, no preconditioning.
I remember I started charging at 4% SoC. I'm not sure how long the power stayed at 250 kW, though. At this point it doesn't matter to me if it's a couple 10 kW more or less. Much like what @zef3215 wrote, it's so fast that you barely have the time to grab a snack and visit the loo.

View attachment 944409
Indeed. One recommendation, try to put AC OFF (I see you have it on Manual) on hot days when superchaging especially from low SOC. The cooling system will not be able to handle both cabin and battery effectively and will limit the charging power in order to avoid overheating. Once that happen, is a bit difficult to get it back to decent high speed untill the battery cool down.

Check this video where I share my experience:
Note: this experience was before Tesla Updated the charging power on LG Battery based Model 3's in December 2021:

• Informative
Reactions: UncleCreepy