TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

LG to make Model 3 LCD

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by smilepak, Apr 4, 2016.

1. smilepak

smilepak Member

• Like x 1
  2. tga

tga Active Member

Another advantage of 300k reservations - bargaining power with suppliers.

• Like x 1
  3. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

I like this news...a move to being more real...

4. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I've been reading about this the last few days. I don't know why this is supposed to be significant.

5. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

WAIT, SERIOUSLY?

This is great, great, great news! We really want an OLED display for nighttime driving, (black pixels are off) and power efficiency.

Really, only Samsung and LG are making them in large volumes. I had expected Samsung because they just released their 14" OLED displays.

While people are still afraid of burn-in, there are many workarounds available like pixel orbiters and pixel offsets.

Man, a 15" LCD would just kill your night vision.:( Really hope this means OLED.

6. graphix25

graphix25 Member

If LG is truly the sole supplier for the Model 3 it could lend credence to a OLED based system. As you indicated there are only two suppliers of OLED in volume with LG being the leader. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one as I would really prefer OLED rather then backlit LCD. People say the Model S doesn't bug them at night but it could just be the Tesla grin has gone to their brain and rotted it out.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Nope, doesn't bug me at night. But OLED would be nice too.

8. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Not to fuel this OLED suspicion more, but look what LG talked about three months ago at CES 2016:

CES 2016: LG Display shows off displays that you can roll up, see through, and use in your car - TechRepublic

"LG Display also showed me a 12.3-inch FHD pOLED automotive panel that can be curved. Being made from a plastic substrate, they are also last longer than traditional LCD screens and are less dangerous during a car crash."

Not sure if a curve will be useful, but the longevity and increased safety are...curious.

9. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Quick question. Do you drive in the country often? Like, in rural areas? In a city, even at night, the LCD screen can't be too disturbing. But, where it's pitch black outside except for your headlights, I think it could get a bit hard to keep re-adjusting.

10. Colsla

Colsla Member

Wouldn't the display have the night mode the same as Model S and X?

11. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

That's true, but night mode on an OLED looks far better. People call it "lifelike", at least when they see the 55" TV models, haha.

And OLED costs more (Lenovo charges $200 more on their 14" X1 Yoga). And in a number of first ride videos, the Tesla employees say, "The Model S sets the standard for displays." Would they really give their more affordable car a nicer display?

Maybe, actually, haha. But, also just hopeful thinking, too.

12. Colsla

Colsla Member

Model 3 is still about 1.5 year away and with Model S refresh rumors and price "changes".. the new display may make it to the S some timei this year..? I dont know how likely it is for OLED to make it to Model 3 by the end of next year.. but I would love if it had OLED :D

13. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

The 65" is now widely available. Apart from the banding in scenes with low APL (aka low lighting), presumably caused by the technical challenge of applying voltage across the entirety of the screen evenly, it is the best TV I've owned. It seems to me this upgrade would make the Model 3 more costly for Telsla, and overall display lifespan is still stymied with blue OLED in comparison to LCD. It might be a nice touch for an option upgrade.