Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liberty Mutual "alternative fuel" discount doesn't include Model 3 (or any EVs)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is actually opposite of original post but cities and counties charge an additional tax for alternative fuel vehicles.

The reasoning is that we are not paying a tax that was built into gasoline prices that goes to road and highway infrastructure. Therefore the additional tax is required since we are still using the roads.

In Atlanta it's around $300 per year.

Just my 2 cents....

I was with Liberty Mutual for a while. I just last month bc they increased my rate significantly. Geico was almost half (went from $3700/yr with Liberty vs $1800/yr with geico). That was for one MX and one dodge durango, plus multi policy discount. When I called to cancel liberty, they "re-ran the numbers" and magically found a way to get my rate down to $2600/yr. Still too high.

• Disagree
Reactions: MrMassTransit
When I called to cancel liberty, they "re-ran the numbers" and magically found a way to get my rate down to $2600/yr. Still too high.

Years ago, I switched insurance companies, and had a similar experience. The agent for the old company seemed upset that I hadn't called to whisper the magic words, "I'm thinking of changing insurance carriers." My opinion: If insurance companies don't offer their current customers good rates, they can expect them to become ex-customers!

Years ago, I switched insurance companies, and had a similar experience. The agent for the old company seemed upset that I hadn't called to whisper the magic words, "I'm thinking of changing insurance carriers." My opinion: If insurance companies don't offer their current customers good rates, they can expect them to become ex-customers!
I literally said the same thing to the agent.

True, but we've all noticed increases in insurance bills for our Tesla vs. the cars they replaced.
There is a definite trendline here, hitting us straight in our wallets.

The insurance company I used for my previous car (a Chevy Volt) indeed quoted a huge increase to insure a Tesla Model 3; however, this fact spurred me to go comparison-shopping. My new insurance company (Progressive) is charging me less to insure my Model 3 than Geico did to insure my Volt. I have no idea what Progressive would have charged for the Volt, although I think it's probable that it would have been less than they're charging for my Model 3.

Did I forget to mention I write for CleanTechnica? :)

But this looks like it is just some kind of error in their system (and lack of understanding from their support folks). Some LM customers are getting the discount. I just don't happen to be one of them. I have enough info to challenge it though (including their own web site) so I'm optimistic that they'll make good.
BTW, on my 8th e-mail to Liberty Mutual, after asking this to be escalated twice, I did finally get a reply acknowledging the issue and a promise to look into it. I did confirm via an online VIN decoder that my VIN does specifically decode to Fuel Type: Electric, but whatever system Liberty Mutual is using to decode my VIN is not properly registering the fuel type. Again, weird that other Liberty Mutual customers are getting the discount, but I will try to be patient...