Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License plate bolts; size, thread pitch, and length?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like a silly question, but does anyone know the size of bolts for the 2020 Tesla Model 3 license plate? I could size my existing bolt but I want to get the thread pitch correct too without too many trips to Home Depot.

I tried the M6, 5mm long, but that was too large a diameter. I'm guessing it's M5 (will size the existing bolt this time) but does anyone know the thread pitch?

Thanks!

The search feature with the phrase "License plate bolt" or "License plate screw" would have taken you to a thread which indicates "The officially correct part (BOLT,PN,PZ,M5-0.8x6,[88],G1009, Rear License Plate Screw, 1453796-00-A) is only 6mm long, but I shouldn't think 8mm would be any issue."

• Funny
Reactions: ACRei and Spacep0d
The search feature with the phrase "License plate bolt" or "License plate screw" would have taken you to a thread which indicates "The officially correct part (BOLT,PN,PZ,M5-0.8x6,[88],G1009, Rear License Plate Screw, 1453796-00-A) is only 6mm long, but I shouldn't think 8mm would be any issue."

Thank you! Believe me, I tried searching. I tried when I was at Home Depot and got it wrong. Finding that thread earlier would have been useful! :)

Little caution for others that find this info. The front and rear screw specs differ between AMER and EMEA/APAC spec Model 3/Ys.

Similarly, there are differences between early production cars (no trunk mounting plate) vs. current pre- and post-refresh cars (which come with the trunk mounting plate).

For those without the mounting plate, some of us have also ditched the failure prone closed end OE nylon inserts/nuts and replaced them with open ended equivalents.

Some went as far as pressing in threaded inserts, which are very similar to what the OE holder has in place.

Given all this - the size, length of the screws can be significantly different depending on what Model Year 3 (less so Y) we are talking about.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin