Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Torklift bracket the other day. A few comments:
  • Installation was a PITA. The short Allen wrench they give you makes it real difficult to install the bottom screws. You better get a super model with long and skinny fingers to help install it with you.:)
  • Not sure why they did not make the bracket the other way around so it rests on the black plastic trim instead of the painted bumper.
  • The short bolts are too short if you have a license plate frame.
  • I am worried that the bracket and license plate will block a considerable amount of the airflow through the front grill. I will have to keep an eye on the AC performance and noise since installing it.

• Installation was a PITA. The short Allen wrench they give you makes it real difficult to install the bottom screws. You better get a super model with long and skinny fingers to help install it with you.:)
  • Not sure why they did not make the bracket the other way around so it rests on the black plastic trim instead of the painted bumper.
  • I am worried that the bracket and license plate will block a considerable amount of the airflow through the front grill. I will have to keep an eye on the AC performance and noise since installing it.
I agree about the provided Allen wrench. I used a small screwdriver-style allen wrench that made things a lot easier. Also, everything is on a slight angle, so aligning the bolt into the nut was very challenging until you realize that.

It was my understanding that most of the air flow comes from the big gap around the Tesla logo, or is that only for the cabin? I'm not sure how much air flow is used down below, but doesn't the standard Tesla license plate mount also block the same amount of area? If so, it shouldn't be an issue.

The standard plate attaches only on the bumper. So it does not block the airflow to the grill.
I just compared the Tesla bumper mount to the Torklfit mount. I see what you mean now. The torklift solution lowers the license plate by 2-3", but there is still about an inch below the license plate that still allows for air flow.

However, the license plate only covers a small portion of the overall grill width. Furthermore, the wind shadow will likely be less due to turbulence around the plate. I'm not concerned about the slight reduction in airflow to this grill.

I'm guessing that this lower grill is used for battery airflow, and the large gap around the Tesla logo is used for cabin airflow.

OK...last week pulled over by Wa State Trooper in Lynnwood just as I entered the I-405 Southbound. Rolled down the right front window and sat with both hands on the wheel. Smiling Trooper said: "Hi, where's your front licence plate"? I responded that I did not want holes drilled in the bumper or anything interfering with the forward radar and that I had a special "no drilling" bracket coming in 2-3 weeks from Torklift. His response: "sounds good to me." He asked for my registration which I keep on a large clip along with proof of insurance in one of the front open compartments. I asked for permission to reach for it and he said "fine". Both hands back on the wheel. Then he asked for my driver's license. I then told him it was in my left rear pocket, could I "reach for it?" He responded "that's OK, I trust you". I responded that in light of things going on today, you can never be sure, and kept my right hand on the wheel while I reached.

He took my license back to his black SUV and returned quickly. "This is the first one of these I have seen; there sure is a lot of glass. Beautiful car. Have a great day."

The next day THE LAW bracket came and I had an employee about 45 years my junior put it on. He first tried it without reading the directions. I asked him to read them and within about 10 seconds commented that he should have read them first. I am attaching a pdf with pictures showing most of the process. I rate the item as a BUY.

I think he really wanted to see the car and MX's are on their target list.

Attachments

• Torklift 1.pdf
    991 KB · Views: 179
I purchased these bolts from Amazon and they were more than long enough. I wanted aluminum for their (lack of) corrosion properties. I used them with this carbon fiber license plate frame and it all fit fine.

Someone needs to do some practical tests to see if radar/AP is affected by the metal license plate in the middle of the air scoop; battery cooling is affected - I'd suspect more watts/mi for battery cooling with a less-efficient heat exchanger since 1/3 of it is blocked by the license plate.

I'm at factory chargers a lot and also Dublin, and have never seen (in 4 months) the installed mount coming with MX until yesterday. Here it is. I'm going this simple route.
IMG_0066m.jpg

@ohmman thought that the lower grill was discharge only. If that is the case then we thought it would not really be a big deal since the air could easily move to the side. If it is intake then it could be a problem.
I base this off of the fact that when the AC is running, exhaust air is pushed out through that area. It's possible there's a chase to the rear of the car as well and it works both ways. However, anyone with an active AC fan can feel the exhaust air by putting their hand in front of the lower grill.

Would it be possible to just glue the Tesla bracket on with double sided tape rather than drill 3 holes in the bumper? As I understand it, the Model S facelift is doing it this way. Unfortunately, I suspect it's just not that easy for Model X's bracket, but maybe someone knows for sure that this would not work?

I'm surprised that there's any hot air discharge out of the front scoop, it must come out downstream when the car is underway. Ram pressure at only a few mph would prevent exhaust flow in front: no one designs an exhaust that faces forward in a moving vehicle! That said, the plate not only blocks 1/3 of the scoop, but the disruption in airflow stagnating on the license plate and moving radially-outward from it will adversely affect the airflow into the scoop at speed. So, to a first approximation, it's worse than merely blocking 1/3 of the scoop.

Just do it the production way, done.
I'm surprised that there's any hot air discharge out of the front scoop, it must come out downstream when the car is underway. Ram pressure at only a few mph would prevent exhaust flow in front: no one designs an exhaust that faces forward in a moving vehicle! That said, the plate not only blocks 1/3 of the scoop, but the disruption in airflow stagnating on the license plate and moving radially-outward from it will adversely affect the airflow into the scoop at speed. So, to a first approximation, it's worse than merely blocking 1/3 of the scoop.
Agree. How it looks is not horrible, yet legal, & functional.....
IMG_0072.JPG

After you mount the plate with these no drill brackets, do you even take it off any more? If not what's the difference between using these and factory bracket? You certainly aren't getting any better look.

After you mount the plate with these no drill brackets, do you even take it off any more? If not what's the difference between using these and factory bracket? You certainly aren't getting any better look.
I am asking myself that very question right now before my pick-up tomorrow. I suppose the only advantage to no-drill is flexibility if you move or sell to someone in a state without these stupid things. Other than that, just the knowledge that you didn't desecrate your brand new baby with 3 drilled holes in the mouth :).

I really wish Tesla would just make a damn sticky bracket like they did for Model S facelift so this would be a moot question. I assume the existing X bracket does not conform to the bumper curve so it is not possible to use double sided 3M tape to affix it ourselves without holes?

The difference is that you can remove the license plate + mount in the future and not have 2 ugly holes left in the bumper. As mentioned, this is handy if you sell the vehicle to someone that doesn't want/need a front license plate. Some may want to temporarily remove the front license plate for aesthetic reasons (photo opportunities, parades, weddings, etc.)

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman