Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the superbrightled.com ones- based on the amazon vs VLED comparison photos, the VLED's are much brighter... If they're brighter, and don't have the resistors in them- i say that's a no brainer as long as the price is around the same, which it is after shipping. Will let you guys know if I run into any problems installing, etc.

I could be mistaken, but I thought there were some DOT standards on how bright these licence plate bulbs should be. Is there a risk of being "too" bright?

V C Section 24601 License Plate Lamp

License Plate Lamp

24601. Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.

Amended Ch. 1313, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

Well they're installed.. took around 20mins like everyone said. The superbright LED's worked fine.. The main mistake was doing them during the day and not looking at how bright the old lamps were compared to these... Now I'm going to have to go by memory because I'm too lazy to put an old one back in for doing an A/B comparison

I wanted to check on the VLED sizing - a lot of the other post purchased 36mm size and complained they where a hair bit too small but worked. Did you find that the VLED ones at 38 Fit perfectly? Also they are omni-directional so should not matter if they rotate correct? I think I will go with the 6K color vs the 5k though. Please let me know if you have had any issues with them.

Best,
Ryan William

View attachment 44360

New VLED.COM license plate bulbs that generate NO HEAT and throw a lot more lumens than the amazon ones that have a resister and are an ugly Bluish color

5K WHITE 10 LED HIGH OUTPUT DOME LIGHT BULB 240LM 38MM 6411 6418 6423 211 211-2 578.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazon on left and VLED 5000k on right.

Another experience. I purchased these:
Amazon.com: Classy Autos 36mm Festoon 6 LEDs SMD LED Bulb White for 3021 DE3021 6411 6413 6418 DE3423 DE3425 Replacement (A Pair): Automotive

They were a hair smaller than the OEM bulbs so they definitely sat loose in the cap. Once I put the cap in, however, they lit right up and seem to be fine. Hopefully I'm not risking anything with them being slightly small! The results:
IMG_7203.jpg
IMG_7204.jpg
IMG_7208.jpg

Be careful with the Amazon LED bulbs, I got rid of them due to the high heat generated by the resisters (over 180 degrees F), i was concerned that I would melt the plastic in the light housing and fire risk.

The new vLED bulbs generate no heat and have a fuller omnidirectional light output...

Another experience. I purchased these:
Amazon.com: Classy Autos 36mm Festoon 6 LEDs SMD LED Bulb White for 3021 DE3021 6411 6413 6418 DE3423 DE3425 Replacement (A Pair): Automotive

They were a hair smaller than the OEM bulbs so they definitely sat loose in the cap. Once I put the cap in, however, they lit right up and seem to be fine. Hopefully I'm not risking anything with them being slightly small! The results:
View attachment 46030View attachment 46031View attachment 46032

- - - Updated - - -

38 MM is the correct size - 36 MM is a tad too small and will cause rotation of the directional Amazon LED's. (I tried both - moved the Amazon ones to my Ford Fusion Hybrid) which is 36MM

Be careful with the Amazon LED bulbs, I got rid of them due to the high heat generated by the resisters (over 180 degrees F), i was concerned that I would melt the plastic in the light housing and fire risk.

The new vLED bulbs generate no heat and have a fuller omnidirectional light output...
- - - Updated - - -

38 MM is the correct size - 36 MM is a tad too small and will cause rotation of the directional Amazon LED's. (I tried both - moved the Amazon ones to my Ford Fusion Hybrid) which is 36MM

Thanks for the feedback. I never liked how the 36mm ones felt way too small and I really didn't like your comment about heat! So I ordered the VLED ones...but I ordered the 6K color instead of 5K (I like more of the pure white). DEFINITELY fit just like the OEM bulbs. Definitely brighter. Overall I'm much happier now knowing I have the right size and what seems to be an all-around better quality bulb!

photo 3.JPG

Comparison...Amazon on left, VLED on right
photo 4.JPG

Reverse sides...VLED on left, Amazon on right
photo 1.JPG

Final product
photo 3-1.JPG

photo 2-1.JPG

I installed the VLEDs and they are fantastic! Fit is perfect and light output is spectacular. If you hit your rear view camera while driving, you can see the white light on the dark road. Hopefully the bright license plate illumination won't get me pulled over, but so far I love the white light, bright output and even coverage. The VLEDs apparently have no resistor like some of the others, and the heat output is minimal. It's a win-win.

Which Amazon ones? The classy auto one or the AGT one?

- - - Updated - - -

FYI - I suspect not many people will replace their bulbs with blue LEDs, but if you do, the reverse camera will display outside lights as yellowish, giving an overall yellowish look to the camera display. (I have the white LEDs I ordered at the same time, and will replace the blues if I ever *touch wood* get a "non-white bulb" ticket)

pic1 - rear camera, parking lights off
pic2 - parking lights on
pic3 - license plate lights under parkade illumination (sorry don't have an outside nighttime photo). Doesn't seem to look all that fabulous in a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3873.jpg
    IMG_3873.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 543
  • Plate-BlueLEDs.jpg
    Plate-BlueLEDs.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 580