Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my VLEDS went on the blink and one burned out (actually some of the VLEDS actually burned right off like they shorted!).

I had a set of VLEDS that I bought for my S85 and saved to put in the 85D. When I put them in the 85D one was being a bit finicky. But I got it to work. But I soon noticed it was out again. Tried getting it to work but it refuses to light now. I've given up and ordered the Abstract Ocean set.

I had a set of VLEDS that I bought for my S85 and saved to put in the 85D. When I put them in the 85D one was being a bit finicky. But I got it to work. But I soon noticed it was out again. Tried getting it to work but it refuses to light now. I've given up and ordered the Abstract Ocean set.
You will not be disappointed with the Abstract Ocean set - they have worked flawlessly for me!

You will not be disappointed with the Abstract Ocean set - they have worked flawlessly for me!

I just ordered up a set as well as a couple screen protectors....had the coupon from my fob covers order. Don't have the time or patience to mess with cheaper bulbs. If anyone doesn't have fob covers, the quality of the silicone covers from AO is amazing. I absolutely love them.

Pete--is it still true that current Model S production still uses old incandescent license plate lamps? is this a US DOT issue? I assume not as other cars sold in the US have LED lamps. Guess it keeps you in business...

I'm not Pete but my 85D I picked up a week ago still had incandescent license plate lamps. I'd bet money that Tesla is just buying a part that includes the bulb from someone. They certainly didn't have the volume to get a part special made for them in the past. They might now but they may just not have gotten around to it yet.

Pete--is it still true that current Model S production still uses old incandescent license plate lamps? is this a US DOT issue? I assume not as other cars sold in the US have LED lamps. Guess it keeps you in business...

It is true, I'm not sure why, always wondered that on my other cars as well, Tesla isn't alone in putting LEDs almost everywhere, except the license plate. The size of festoon bulb they're using is particularly standard either, so I'm sure it comes from a parts bin, presumably Mercedes, but finding the equivalent size LED was not easy, none of the good OEMs produce them in bulk. Same bulb in use on the Roadster, apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not Pete but my 85D I picked up a week ago still had incandescent license plate lamps. I'd bet money that Tesla is just buying a part that includes the bulb from someone. They certainly didn't have the volume to get a part special made for them in the past. They might now but they may just not have gotten around to it yet.

I think it's just an oversight on their part. I certainly don't have the volume they have, yet my bulbs are 100% designed for this specific application, nobody else has these bulbs). The downside is that margin is actually very thin (I know, I hear violins playing in the distance!), because I'm not able to order in volume (i.e. 10,000+ units).

I'll also give a shout-out to Abstract Ocean.

I love their silicone FobPockets. Even after several months of use, my FobPocket seems to be just as clean as when it was brand new. Well done, AO!

Likewise, I'm very impressed with Abstract Ocean's LED license plate bulb replacements. The bulbs are both whiter and brighter, and look much better than the light bulbs that came with my Tesla.

http://www.abstractocean.com/store/

I've gotta also give a shout-out to Abstract Ocean.

I had issues with my VLEDS in this car, but the Abstract Ocean bulbs are ROCK SOLID and have been from the moment I put them in, for the past few months now. I cannot be happier, and without hesitation I recommend them to any owner who wants a beautiful set of LEDs for their license plate lightning.

Thanks Pete!!!!!!

Just finished installing my LEDs from Abstract Ocean, they look great. Captured a few pics: Before, half-installed, and after:

This is the before shot, using the standard bulbs:
DSC00758_blur.jpg

Here's the midway shot. LED on left, old bulb on right:
DSC00761_blur.jpg

And the final results, looks great & easy to install!
DSC00765_blur.jpg

I think it's just an oversight on their part. I certainly don't have the volume they have, yet my bulbs are 100% designed for this specific application, nobody else has these bulbs). The downside is that margin is actually very thin (I know, I hear violins playing in the distance!), because I'm not able to order in volume (i.e. 10,000+ units).

Just to clarify, I'm assuming they'd need to get the manufacturer of the license plate lighting assembly they are using to change bulbs. That manufacturer probably wouldn't bother to do it for a few thousand assemblies. Getting a bulb made like you did is certainly a possibility for Tesla. But if the assembly is already together (as I'm assuming) and they have to change bulbs then they're paying for bulbs they don't need and they have to spend money on labor to change them. So I still think volume matters here.

Installed the Abstract Ocean set tonight. Worked without any fiddling. I'm happy with them. Thanks Pete.

Just to clarify, I'm assuming they'd need to get the manufacturer of the license plate lighting assembly they are using to change bulbs. That manufacturer probably wouldn't bother to do it for a few thousand assemblies. Getting a bulb made like you did is certainly a possibility for Tesla. But if the assembly is already together (as I'm assuming) and they have to change bulbs then they're paying for bulbs they don't need and they have to spend money on labor to change them. So I still think volume matters here.

Installed the Abstract Ocean set tonight. Worked without any fiddling. I'm happy with them. Thanks Pete.

+1 Abstract Ocean license plate bulbs are a perfect plug and play solution.

I've gotta also give a shout-out to Abstract Ocean.

I had issues with my VLEDS in this car, but the Abstract Ocean bulbs are ROCK SOLID and have been from the moment I put them in, for the past few months now. I cannot be happier, and without hesitation I recommend them to any owner who wants a beautiful set of LEDs for their license plate lightning.

Thanks Pete!!!!!!

Just submitted an order from Canada as well. Also a VLEDS refugee.

I've had my Abstract Ocean bulbs for a few months now (see earlier in the thread, also a VLEDS "refugee" lol). Just checking in to say these bulbs are still going strong and are awesome!! Definitely an essential purchase for any Tesla owner. Thanks again Pete!!!!
ben