Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Holder Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to buy a used MS. Can anyone tell me if this license plate holder can be removed? And if there will be holes in the front bumper upon removal?

I'm not sure if this is a standard Telsa license plate holder or a 3rd party manufactured one - hopefully someone has seen this style before and can calm my nerves that there won't be huge holes in my front bumper if I remove it.

Thanks

Tesla License Plate 3.JPG
Tesla License Plate 2.JPG
Tesla License Plate.JPG

Thanks

I followed these instructions and it worked great. You really do need 90 degree needle nose pliers to loosen the bolts underneath. The double sided tape is very strong but can be gradually rubbed off in pieces. Then use polishing compound and random orbital to clean up paint (or have detailer polish for you). Total job was about 35 min.

PS-No holes to worry about!

Last edited:
I followed these instructions and it worked great. You really do need 90 degree needle nose pliers to loosen the bolts underneath. The double sided tape is very strong but can be gradually rubbed off in pieces. Then use polishing compound and random orbital to clean up paint (or have detailer polish for you). Total job was about 35 min.

Awesome - thanks for the link to the video

If you have a heat gun/hair dryer, it'll come off easily. Just be sure to not use too much heat!

I used the video information, and ordered the pliers. Didn't end up needing the pliers for this job, but handy to have. I could loosen the screws with my hands and a straight screwdriver. I just carefully peeled the license holder and adhesive binding off slowly without heat. They came off in one piece and left no residue on my car.. My car was new, so I didn't need to touch up the paint or anything. I guess if it had sat a long time, or was exposed to heated conditions, the adhesive would be more difficult to remove and require some heat or added assistance. Your mileage may vary.

I got screws out pretty easily....Used a piece of dental floss for get off bracket....I cleaned it up and looks fine....I keep plate and bracket in the trunk just in case the CHP pulls me over....I will tell them. the car wash stripped it off and I am waiting for new adhesive from Tesla...

I used the video information, and ordered the pliers. Didn't end up needing the pliers for this job, but handy to have. I could loosen the screws with my hands and a straight screwdriver. I just carefully peeled the license holder and adhesive binding off slowly without heat. They came off in one piece and left no residue on my car.. My car was new, so I didn't need to touch up the paint or anything. I guess if it had sat a long time, or was exposed to heated conditions, the adhesive would be more difficult to remove and require some heat or added assistance. Your mileage may vary.
I wish I exercised more patience. I ended up pulling off a chunk of the paint, which is why I cautioned about not using too much heat. I tried using Tesla's touch up paint kit to repair. Who knew it would be such a bad paint match! It's a very visible blemish on my front bumper, but I look at it as a battle wound. Now that I've damaged it, the 'newness' has worn off (hasn't even been a week) so I don't have to be so frilly-frally with it.

By the way, any advice on properly matching/blending the color is solicited. I know the ultimate fix would be to have the entire buyer re-sprayed, but I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon. And, this is all before my PPF has had to chance to come in so I can really protect it. Oh well... :-(

I am sorry. My former Mercedes AMG E63 had a front license plate and holder because I picked it up in Germany. To my horror, Mercedes factory had just drilled two holes in the bumper paint to attach it. I just put the front plate back on. Teslas apparently have so much trouble with factory paint, that the local dealers evidently do a good job of repairs. Maybe check to see how much they would charge. Unfortunate, but I think you are right maybe to just accept it.:(