TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

license plate in the front of the car

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by irvineboy, Feb 12, 2015.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

hey guys I think I finally found a pretty good 2013 Model S p85 performance plus. The only drawback is that they nailed the front license plate to the front bumper, the sales rep says it can be easily filled and you won't notice the difference is that true? For some reason that bothers me.

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

'nailed to the bumper'---do you mean the nosecone? This can be replaced. About $400 for pre-PDC Model S.

3. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

#3 irvineboy, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  4. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

What are your thoughts on this car? Can you replace the piano black with carbon fiber as a retrofit?? Anyone done this before?

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Here is an easy fix for you and DIY project.

Buy a box of these at your local auto parts store.
    IMG_0861.jpg

Sand and paint the ends of the buttons, Touch up paint will do fine. Drill out the existing holes to ~1/4"

Insert the plugs into the holes. Below is the result from my wife's Mercedes.

IMG_0862.jpg

6. iadbound

iadbound Member

The car looks pretty sharp, but it's so hard to tell without being very close to the vehicle. Also, I can't really tell (and somebody else probably can) whether the side view mirrors are the power folding model or not. However, when I zoom in on the best pictures of that area, it looks like it does not have the power folding switch on the driver-side door mounted buttons.

There are some threads here about replacing the trim. It's not something I personally would look to do as some of the aluminum trim around the insert is pretty delicate.

Obviously there are some inaccuracies in the description of the car, but that's typical of car dealers.

7. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

#7 irvineboy, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    No power folding mirrors. It has a MSRP of $127k with every option other than the third row seats and carbon fiber trim. Which I am wondering if you can add the carbon fiber trim afterwards?

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My understanding is that it's very hard to do because of the disassembly required. Assuming that Tesla would do it, expect $4K. I'd look around locally for a quality place to change this.

9. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

#9 irvineboy, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    They can't seem to sell it. Dropped price another $1k dropping it to $91k with 2800 miles for a 2013 P85+
    I guess its still too high priced. But the P85D is $125k priced out, a difference of $34k from this one. 1/3 is a lot more for dual motor power and autopilot feature.

10. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Not going to be a reasonable price at all. Most places that do clear body wrap also do the fake CF films.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow - you added parking sensors for a few dollars! ;)