Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Ordeal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If people buy a specially car with out a license plate bracket in front, they avoid putting a plate on the front of the car in California. Nearly all Teslas that I see in my area don't have a plate on the front. When at the parking garage at LAX some energetic traffic officer put tickets on all the cars without front plates. So I got a fix-it ticket. I find the glue on bracket and very carefully measure just exacly where to mount the plate. I see no dimples in the facia to use as a guide. I glue it on and I buy two nice license plate frames from Amazon with nice chrome covers for the screws. It all looks pertty nice installed especially with the chrome screw covers.

I proceed to install the same license frame on the rear of the car. Now I am a happy camper, except that two months later the rear license falls off the car. I immediately retrace my path and find my plate laying on the curb. Some nice California driver choose not to drive over my plate but to stop and place it on the curb.

Upon inspection I find all in tact with the little plastic inserts still attached to the back of the plate. The inserts seem to be so small that the design is not sufficent to hold the additional weight of the frame. Also the insertion of the little clips under the screws for the chrome covers may have limited the length of the screws in the plastic clips so they didn't spread as much. Be aware when dressing up a Model 3.

Today I removed the top screws on both front and rear plates. I put two screws into the front through the facia plastic for sasfety. In the rear I drilled through the top holes in the plastic and the rear trunk inner liner and installed three inch screws with nuts on the back. Now I will drive confidenty that nothing will fall off my Tesla and it looks great.

Just wanted to chime in here with a recommendation for the Snap-Plate. You can remove it any time from the front of the car for photos or whatever, doesn't use tape and just overall looks better than the one stuck to the front bumper. You can also add a screw into the bottom of the device to make it more permanent.

2021-05-16 11.53.10.jpg
2021-05-16 11.53.17.jpg
2021-05-16 11.56.29.jpg

On the back, I went with a simple Black Silicone Surround from Amazon which matches the trim of the car nicely.

2021-05-16 11.55.06.jpg

Edit: I just read it again and saw that you put screws through your front bumper! Ouch!

I hear a lot of discussion about original license plate bracket with 3m double sided tape for model 3. But very little discussion of the model x. My original front bracket for 2020 x only allows for screws which you are to mount into front wrap around bumper. Obviously I do not want to do this. I would like to use the quick bandit unit but it looks like it is only offered for the 3 and Y. The snap plate is offered for the x but will put more stress on the grill. The quick bandit clamps the top and bottom edge of grill not the center center of the grill like the snap plate. Does anyone have any suggestions?

On the back, I went with a simple Black Silicone Surround from Amazon which matches the trim of the car nicely.
I bought a black silicone surround to attach my rear plate as well (delivery next month). Does the M3 come with 4 screws or 2 screws to attach the rear plate? I know this varies depending on the car make. My RAV4 only has two screws/holes to attach the rear plate.
Naw. License Plate Wrap is the best option. Place on some PPF to make it removable. https://licenseplatewrap.com/
I'm considering this option for my front plate. Looks pretty clean.

I hear a lot of discussion about original license plate bracket with 3m double sided tape for model 3. But very little discussion of the model x. My original front bracket for 2020 x only allows for screws which you are to mount into front wrap around bumper. Obviously I do not want to do this. I would like to use the quick bandit unit but it looks like it is only offered for the 3 and Y. The snap plate is offered for the x but will put more stress on the grill. The quick bandit clamps the top and bottom edge of grill not the center center of the grill like the snap plate. Does anyone have any suggestions?
From my experience thus far, the Snap-Plate doesn't really put any extra stress on the front grill. It's still in there just as firmly as the first day it was put on and I've removed it quite a few times. It spreads out the load evenly between the slats in the grill and locks in behind them.

Naw. License Plate Wrap is the best option. Place on some PPF to make it removable. https://licenseplatewrap.com/
This is really a question of what you're trying to achieve. If you want an option that can be easily removed for photos and then put right back in place, the Snap-Plate allows you to do so. If you're looking for a semi-permanent option that can't be removed and replaced for photos, then the license plate wrap is a great option.

I just wouldn't say your option is the "best option" if you don't know what people are trying to achieve.
Your option wouldn't work for me as I need to be able to remove mine frequently.

Reactions: TexasTezla
Just wanted to chime in here with a recommendation for the Snap-Plate. You can remove it any time from the front of the car for photos or whatever, doesn't use tape and just overall looks better than the one stuck to the front bumper. You can also add a screw into the bottom of the device to make it more permanent.

View attachment 662839View attachment 662840View attachment 662841

View attachment 662842

Edit: I just read it again and saw that you put screws through your front bumper! Ouch!
I went with silicone in the rear too. I haven’t picked up the snap plate yet and will probably stall till I get a ticket. But could you add a silicone holder around it with the snap plate. I’m not a big fan of the naked looking plate.

I went with silicone in the rear too. I haven’t picked up the snap plate yet and will probably stall till I get a ticket. But could you add a silicone holder around it with the snap plate. I’m not a big fan of the naked looking plate.
From my experience, you could absolutely have the same silicone holder on the SnapPlate, just keep in mind that it's a fairly heavy holder and this will put more pressure on your grill.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt

View attachment 662839View attachment 662840View attachment 662841

View attachment 662842

Out of curiosity, did you car come with the front place mount installed? My impressions is that in Ontario, Tesla installs both plates on the car before delivery. If so, how difficult was it to remove? I have a pre-cut full-front PPF kit at the ready for when my car arrives (hopefully next month), and it would be a heck of a lot easier to install with the front plate holder removed. I'd also have to figure out how to re-install it afterwards.

Your front mount looks interesting, but I'd be afraid to break the grille in case of contact with an object (my wife has a tendency to use the garbage cans at the back of the garage as a parking distance gauge, lol)

Out of curiosity, did you car come with the front place mount installed? My impressions is that in Ontario, Tesla installs both plates on the car before delivery. If so, how difficult was it to remove? I have a pre-cut full-front PPF kit at the ready for when my car arrives (hopefully next month), and it would be a heck of a lot easier to install with the front plate holder removed. I'd also have to figure out how to re-install it afterwards.

Your front mount looks interesting, but I'd be afraid to break the grille in case of contact with an object (my wife has a tendency to use the garbage cans at the back of the garage as a parking distance gauge, lol)
I don't believe they install it for you. Not sure how it works for registration in Canada, but in NJ, you leave with the temporary license and you get shipped the actual plates to your home for you to install. Tesla leaves the front plate support in the trunk for you to install.

The snapplate is designed to break to save the car and replacement parts are cheap. Would suck if you need to buy new parts everytime someone parks but that protects the car itself and is reversible.

That being said, ripping off the OEM support is doable and reversible too I think. It's just a lot more work.