Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Placement with the ACC Sensor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very cool, wasn't aware there was an updated version of The Law that would work with auto pilot features.
I admit I chuckled a bit when I saw the price, they're making a magnificent markup! But, for a clean look and easy install/remove option without damaging the nose cone, it's worth it I suppose.

I put three pieces, 1" in length, horizontally, one at the top of the center of the plate, the other two in the middle towards the edges of the plate, about 2" from the edge.

Be sure to clean all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol before applying the tape.

The curve in the plate is really slight and looks good, aerodynamic, streamlined. Goes well with the car.

Here are some shots looking straight down at the plate. You can see the tape.

View attachment 64108

View attachment 64109

I sold that P85 last week and removed the plate. Happy to report it came off with no damage to the nose cone or the Xpel "clear bra" film on the nose cone.

However, it took a good 30 minutes and a lot of broken floss and some cursing to get through the tape. The foam center of that 3M tape is more like hard chewing gum and really tough stuff to get through.

Next time around I plan on using smaller pieces of tape, perhaps 1/2" x 1/2", and placing them closer to the side edges and top of the plate to make them easier to get at and cut through.

Thanks for sharing that experience. I was thinking of going the 3M tape route myself but it is designed to stay on permanently, after all. Would wire (e.g. picture-hanging wire) have cut through it easier than dental floss?

Thanks for sharing that experience. I was thinking of going the 3M tape route myself but it is designed to stay on permanently, after all. Would wire (e.g. picture-hanging wire) have cut through it easier than dental floss?

For sure it would, though you'd risk marring the nosecone.

I think with smaller pieces of the 3M tape, a little more patience, and perhaps some better floss, things will be fine.

Apparently the Magneplate version for the Auto-Pilot MS is now for sale for $75 at
Magneplate Autopilot

Does anybody think thats this Magneplate version is the way to go?

I question the suction cups possibly scratching the nose-cone when
a bit of road grit has collected and the car vibrates in use.

Any thoughts, or experience with a similar or previous version?
Thanks, Gary

It appears to be out of stock, already.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but there's a new version of The Law which accounts for the front sensor:

https://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc...cket-Aluminum-Auto-Pilot-Compatible-p3219.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKSx2Y9zSLk

I ordered mine on the 12/19/14, although the follow-up email I received indicated they won't start shipping until 01/05/15.
I also ordered mine at the end of December when they were "on hold", but I got an email from them yesterday that my order went to provisioning and and update today that it left the warehouse. Since they're made in the suburbs of Seattle I should hopefully get it pretty quick.

"Factory Installation" is always correct for a collector car. Drilling the nose cone is proper.
Should the next owner object to the mounting, the nose cone is easily replaceable, and is inexpensive.
That aside, if you wanted to mount off-center, you could balance with a plate on the other side: a clever saying or logo.
I ordered the Calif. Legacy plates in black. My hope is to minimize the visual impact of the front plate.
These plates were said to be delivered in January, 2015, and I am hoping for them to arrive soon.
~Larry

Apparently the Magneplate version for the Auto-Pilot MS is now for sale for $75 at
Magneplate Autopilot

Does anybody think thats this Magneplate version is the way to go?

I question the suction cups possibly scratching the nose-cone when
a bit of road grit has collected and the car vibrates in use.

Any thoughts, or experience with a similar or previous version?
Thanks, Gary

I think that looks like a great option. Would also be interested to hear any first hand experience with it.

I have this installed. So far it seems to be working fine, but of course I can't comment on the longevity or the issue about grit under the suction cups.

I have not watched the new installation video on the website. It wasn't available until a few days ago. I initially thought I'd install this myself, even though I am about the least handy person you're likely to meet. I received the instructions--all 12 pages of them--started to read through them, and decided to see if the detailer that was going to be doing my Opticoat Pro would be willing to install the Magneplate for me. I'm happy to say that he was.

The Magneplate seems to be a quality product. I actually had to take it off a few days ago to add an EZ-Pass transponder. This also required that I then use longer screws into the suction cups. After remounting it I drove some, and perhaps I had not properly afixed one of the two suction cups to the nosecone because the next day I noticed that one of the suction cups wasn't actually stuck to the nosecone. But this was barely noticeable. The Magneplate was in place. I think the suction cups help make sure there's no vibration against the nosecone, but if one or both come loose, I don't think the Magneplate is going to go anywhere, and the suction cups still attached to the Magneplate should prevent any damage from the vibration. I'll probably try to check the suction cups, to see if they are attached, whenever I pass in front of the car and think about it, but I don't think it's a big deal.

For now I am very happy with my Magneplate, and even happier that I chose not to attempt the installation myself. I expect for most of you fairly handy types, the installation won't be a problem. If you're as un-handy as me, invite a friend over to help.

Following-up on my previous post about the new version of The Law (compatible with Autopilot), here is what $115 gets you:

the-law-for-autopilot-01.jpg

the-law-for-autopilot-02.jpg

I'm sure this is spacecraft-grade steel with heat-resistent paint made for atmospheric re-entry.

Yeah, mine arrived the other day... a bit pricey for what is actually included :)

But, for the convenience factor of not having to drill into the car, of being able to remove the plate when washing my car to get in there... I suppose it's worth it.

I haven't installed it yet as I'm still waiting for my permanent plates to arrive so I have nothing to put up front yet :) Their official site says 5 minutes and there's a little video, I think I recall some other people saying it took them more like 15 minutes to install the first time.

I haven't installed it yet as I'm still waiting for my permanent plates to arrive so I have nothing to put up front yet :) Their official site says 5 minutes and there's a little video, I think I recall some other people saying it took them more like 15 minutes to install the first time.

I'd say about 15 minutes including the time to back the car out of the garage, find the tools and figure out how to put it on. If you knew what you're doing and you're more organized about tools than I am, I can easily see 5 minutes. My timing is of course with the pre-Autopilot mount they had, but it doesn't look like much changed other than the location they're mounting it to.

I ended up going with "The Law" (autopilot version) as well. The only tool needed was the included Allen wrench, and it took less than 5 minutes to install. It's a high quality bracket and custom-designed to fit perfectly into the upper grille. It's not cheap, but it seems to be the best solution out there if you don't want to drill holes.

One thing to be aware of with this solution: it leaves almost no space between the back of the license plate and the plastic nose cone. That's what you want from an aerodynamic perspective, but the problem is that pushing on the license plate will cause actual contact with the nose. To fix that, I took a self-stick felt dot (aka "furniture floor protection pad", the kind that you peel and stick on the bottom of a chair or table leg), and stuck it on the back of the license plate, dead center. It acts as a spacer and protects the plastic nose cone from getting scratched by the metal plate.

I bought a box of 10 1/4" x 4" j-bolts from Lowe's ( http://www.lowes.com/pd_446000-37672-851896_0+1z13sim__?productId=4184345&Ntt=j-bolts&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dj-bolts%26page%3D1&facetInfo=The%20Hillman%20Group ) for $16 along with some foam rubber weatherseal (to cushion the edges) and mounted the included plastic Tesla license plate holder to the lower front grille off-center away from the radar. You just need a hacksaw and a clamp to cut the bolts to the correct length. I wanted some extra bolts just in case... You only need two. Works great, far cheaper than The Law.

I did a hybrid of the J-bolt method, putting my license plate first into one of these before using the J-bolts:

Amazon.com: Flexyframe LD - Front Bumper Guard, Front Bumper Protection, License Plate Frame. Winner of Popular Mechanics Editors Choice Award 2012!: Automotive

The FlexyFrame is rubber and surrounds the license plate but still allows the plate to bend. I suppose you could also attach this to the nosecone with double-sided tape and it might be easier to remove.

There are a variety of FlexyFrame versions (I used the LD version) and there are other companies making knockoffs. I like the rubber sticking out a bit as it protects the car slightly. No scratches on my nosecone after 14 months.