Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does Tesla handle license plates? I know at dealerships they install a 30-day tag and you get the real plate in about two weeks.

I have a custom plate that I would like to transfer.

I have only dealt with emails with Las Vegas so far and he is setting up home delivery.

In CA, if you turn in your trade-in with your personalized plates on it, you can kiss them goodbye. I've been able to remove the plates and then take the new registration with the old plates to the DVM to transfer to the new vehicle, but it is different from state-to-state.

Reactions: jdcollins5
Depends where you live. If Tesla does not have a presence in your state you will most likely have to deal with the registration and DMV on your own.

In CA, if you turn in your trade-in with your personalized plates on it, you can kiss them goodbye. I've been able to remove the plates and then take the new registration with the old plates to the DVM to transfer to the new vehicle, but it is different from state-to-state.

I am in NC and Tesla does have a presence. Does anyone know if you have a home delivery if the new registration will be available when you receive the car?

In Arizona, Tesla hands you a temporary tag (piece of paper) and a plastic cover. You have to install it yourself. In 2-33 weeks your plate arrives in the mail. You can then go down to your local MVD/DMV/whatever they're calling it these days and buy a personalized plate. If you want a different personalized plate than you had on your previous car(s), you can simply order that online, but for reusing a personalized plate, you need to go into their office as the website thinks the plate isn't available.

In Arizona, Tesla hands you a temporary tag (piece of paper) and a plastic cover. You have to install it yourself. In 2-33 weeks your plate arrives in the mail. You can then go down to your local MVD/DMV/whatever they're calling it these days and buy a personalized plate. If you want a different personalized plate than you had on your previous car(s), you can simply order that online, but for reusing a personalized plate, you need to go into their office as the website thinks the plate isn't available.

OK that is the same as a normal dealership. I can go to the local DMV and work with them on transferring the custom plates.

Thanks

It depends. If you are able to talk to the delivery consultant before delivery, and maybe on delivery day, tell them that you will want to transfer tags and they may be able to do it, if the process has not already begun. If it has begun, then you should be able to trade, but that's up to the DMV and may have weeks of waiting before you can mount the old tag.

I believe that Tesla may use third parties, probably folks that do it for other dealers as well.

For my car in Georgia, the EV plate is a special one. Tesla normally registers the car for a standard plate. We talked to the delivery consultant and they gave us the option of either Tesla doing the normal registration and then we have to go back and get the EV tag, or we do the registration and then Tesla refunds us, since registration is part of the purchase price, we chose the latter and it worked out well for us, but that was indeed back in May. Interesting part is that the DMV knew the car existed, but didn't have it registered.

Honestly, I think that Tesla does about as equally poor in this department as every other auto dealer that I've dealt with. It takes way too long for something that should be close to instantaneous.

Reactions: jdcollins5
In GA you get a temporary paper tag and the County mails a metal one after Tesla submits paperwork. Then, if you want the “AF” tag to get free HOV on a few roads, you have to carry that metal tag into the county tag office and exachange it for the Alternative Fuel tag.

You can also try waiting a couple weeks after purchase and go into the DMV with your sale doc and as long as the info is in the system - you can get the tag you want right then and there. I did that with a car I bought for my daughter recently - got her a UGA plate without having to wait on getting the regular one and exchange for the one I wanted.

I have a NC State tag on my current vehicle and want to transfer it to my new M3. It sounds like I just need to wait until new car is in DMV system and work with the local office.

Thanks
jdcollins5, how did this work out? I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area and would like to transfer my current plates. Did you have to just wait until new car is in DMV system and work with the local office?