Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
Anyone try to stick on the OEM front license plate holder on top of the PPF and Ceramic coating?
I am trying not to use the isopropyl alcohol to remove the ceramic coat to prep the area for the plate holder because I do not want it to be too stuck on the PPF if I need to remove the plate holder for any reason.

I wish I could do this for my car. Probably not legal in WI yet though.
they're working on other states. Shoot em an email and see if theyre making progress in your state

1650903389490.png

Everyone is different, and has different priorities...

I didn't even want to stick the HOV sticker to my car, and I certainly am not going to stick a license plate wrap to my front bumper. My wife loves using the car pool lane, so I ended up putting one sticker on the right side of my rear bumper, and just hoping I don't get hassled about not having all the stickers the State of California sends you!

I stuck the sticker as low as I possibly could, and first stuck it to clear bra, then applied it with the clear bra to my car, so I can easily remove it down the road.

I saw another Model Y on the freeway, and they stuck the HOV sticker on the sides mid way from the bottom of the car to the roof! To me, it looked ridiculous, but obviously, they thought it looked perfect!

I really like the Quick Bandit... easy to install and remove the front plate, and it keeps it far enough from the bumper that it won't damage or scrap up your paint, but it is on the expensive side.

Reactions: 101dals
Everyone is different, and has different priorities...

I didn't even want to stick the HOV sticker to my car, and I certainly am not going to stick a license plate wrap to my front bumper. My wife loves using the car pool lane, so I ended up putting one sticker on the right side of my rear bumper, and just hoping I don't get hassled about not having all the stickers the State of California sends you!

I stuck the sticker as low as I possibly could, and first stuck it to clear bra, then applied it with the clear bra to my car, so I can easily remove it down the road.

I saw another Model Y on the freeway, and they stuck the HOV sticker on the sides mid way from the bottom of the car to the roof! To me, it looked ridiculous, but obviously, they thought it looked perfect!

I really like the Quick Bandit... easy to install and remove the front plate, and it keeps it far enough from the bumper that it won't damage or scrap up your paint, but it is on the expensive side.
I got the SlapPass magnets for the stickers. I plan to just put them on the car when I need to. Since it's magnetic it'll have to be higher up on the sheet metal, which will look funny but whatever. Then when I reach my destination I will just take them off. The MY you saw with the funny sticker placement might have been using something like this.

I got the SlapPass magnets for the stickers. I plan to just put them on the car when I need to. Since it's magnetic it'll have to be higher up on the sheet metal, which will look funny but whatever. Then when I reach my destination I will just take them off. The MY you saw with the funny sticker placement might have been using something like this.
How do you stick magnets to aluminum?

I believe the roof rails and rear quaters are steel… they are on the model 3.
Yep steel. I use magnets for my HOV stickers as well. One on each rear quarter above the bumper area and one on the rear hatch under the "Dual Motor" emblem. I cut mine from adhesive backed magnetic sheet using a Cricut plotter. I leave mine on pretty much all the time except when I wash the car.

Yep steel. I use magnets for my HOV stickers as well. One on each rear quarter above the bumper area and one on the rear hatch under the "Dual Motor" emblem. I cut mine from adhesive backed magnetic sheet using a Cricut plotter. I leave mine on pretty much all the time except when I wash the car.
Hey, that's a great idea! Are you able to use the magnetic stickers for all 4 HOV stickers? I wasn't even going to apply for the stickers as I would hardly ever use them but I might do so if I can just stick them on the car the once a month I might need them!

Hey, that's a great idea! Are you able to use the magnetic stickers for all 4 HOV stickers? I wasn't even going to apply for the stickers as I would hardly ever use them but I might do so if I can just stick them on the car the once a month I might need them!
The front bumper area unfortunately doesn't have steel in the correct areas for magnet placement so I use the two larger HOV stickers on each rear quarter panel and one of the small HOV stickers that is supposed to be for the front on the rear hatch instead. Been driving around for months with that setup, past parked CHP, and have never had an issue.

Reactions: schen72 and asm777
The front bumper area unfortunately doesn't have steel in the correct areas for magnet placement so I use the two larger HOV stickers on each rear quarter panel and one of the small HOV stickers that is supposed to be for the front on the rear hatch instead. Been driving around for months with that setup, past parked CHP, and have never had an issue.
This is what I plan to do, although I may just use one magnet out of laziness. I've seen lots of cars where people applied the sticker but put them in the wrong location. I've also seen some Model 3s with the stickers in the rear quarter windows, but on the MY I think the tinted windows would make it hard to see the sticker. Now I'm just waiting for the actual stickers to arrive!

This is what I plan to do, although I may just use one magnet out of laziness. I've seen lots of cars where people applied the sticker but put them in the wrong location. I've also seen some Model 3s with the stickers in the rear quarter windows, but on the MY I think the tinted windows would make it hard to see the sticker. Now I'm just waiting for the actual stickers to arrive!
I also have tinted windows so that idea won't work but I'm also in San Jose and don't want to get pulled over in the HOV lane. I can't even get my stickers because I don't have my plate yet.