Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both the plate and the license plate frame should be secured with screws. The license plate frame should have 3 screws on the bottom side. Do you have screw holes? While the plaid may have changed some things, it must have a frame with screws. The frame also has either sticky goo or sticky tape helping hold it to the front bumper. If all you have is sticky tape and a license plate, you are missing something. I was able just to roll the sticky goo off with my hand, like removing the sticky goo from a mailer in the mail

Plaid model S, So went into my garage this morning and my front license plate fell off. Sticky tape just let go if it. Anyone else have these issues? How do you get the rest of the tape off?

Thanks!
The same thing happened to me when I first got my 2018 MS. After duct-taping it on temporarily, I drove straight to the nearest device center (no appointment) and they fixed it on the spot. Factory fail. Screws were apparently never used to install it.

Living in AZ I don’t need a front plate and don’t want it upon delivery but apparently have to. Supposedly Telsa had the crash ratings done with the front plate on and they forgot to take it off prior to testing so all deliveries now have to have the front plate mount on at time of delivery. Dumb.

That happened to me too. Living in CA, I need to display 2 license plates. After I had front PPF and whole body ceramic coat applied to my MS LR, the front license plate frame fell off. Service Center here in Torrance is having another frame manufactured and painted. They did say that the PPF and ceramic coat may be to blame for the frame not adhering. I asked if it's possible to have a Model 3-type license frame that's bolted to the grill. They said they'd look into it. The whole double-sided tape concept just sucks.

Both the plate and the license plate frame should be secured with screws. The license plate frame should have 3 screws on the bottom side. Do you have screw holes? While the plaid may have changed some things, it must have a frame with screws. The frame also has either sticky goo or sticky tape helping hold it to the front bumper. If all you have is sticky tape and a license plate, you are missing something. I was able just to roll the sticky goo off with my hand, like removing the sticky goo from a mailer in the mail
The license plate holder is screwed by 3 bolts to the frame. The frame however is only attached to the bumper by double-sided tape. It is not mechanically attached to the bumper at all.

The license plate holder is screwed by 3 bolts to the frame. The frame however is only attached to the bumper by double-sided tape. It is not mechanically attached to the bumper at all.
The redesign element is evidently not an improvement. Sounds like these will be eventually "recalled" or returned under a TSB. California, in particular, will not like a manufacturer only adhering the front license plate frame to the front bumper with double-sided tape.

Reactions: gadelrosario
The redesign element is evidently not an improvement. Sounds like these will be eventually "recalled" or returned under a TSB. California, in particular, will not like a manufacturer only adhering the front license plate frame to the front bumper with double-sided tape.
The outfit that did the PPF and ceramic coat suggested that I consider a license plate wrap - apparently DMV approved in California. If I end up with double sided tape again, I'm going that route.

Reactions: DerbyDave