Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plates Delayed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 was delivered on 9/29, temp plates expired on 12/26 and still don't have my plates. Called Tesla they blamed the CA DMV being slow and told me to not drive my car and keep it parked. Why did I buy a car to just park it. Called the DMV and was told Tesla never completed the paperwork since submitting it back in October. Now Tesla is taking action to complete out the registration. So disappointed!

Same timeline as you. Reached out to Tesla in mid December and didn't hear back until a few days later. Told me there was a delay with the DMV or something like that and that they're expediting my paperwork. Finally received my permanent plate today.

Took delivery of MY on Dec. 7 and given 45 day temporary tag expiring on Jan. 21. Having not received anything, I called the place of delivery on Jan. 20 for advice on how to proceed. She accessed the Georgia DOT website and found the paperwork reported as in process. On further exam it revealed receipt of paperwork on Jan. 10. She advised me to get an extended temp tag. Needless to say I was disappointed. I gave them a certified check for purchase and they took over one month to advance the paperwork. Were I the manager I’d batch that paperwork every 2-3 days. Not once per month. Of corse our tag office is closed over the weekend. I’ll go Monday am and maybe I’ll get an extension.

Sharing the same anger and frustration. Every time I call Tesla I get a diff reason for why I havent received my tags and reg. Im really POd.
You actually get hold of anyone? Mine expire today bought from Paramus Route 17 NJ and after much chasing emailing and not getting hold of an actual human I was emailed today that it will take longer as they sent title to the wrong processing place and that they are working to get to me asap but no ETA given or any expression of an apology… they said if I do get a ticket I should let them know so they can involve upper management ? Which hopefully means they will pay for any tickets but probably only after multiple emails?!!!still no human interaction! Clearly plates past expiry is not important enough to get senior management involved?!!!

I feel compelled to share my story with my fellow owners and any owners-to-be in this group.

First, let me start off by saying I love my Model 3! It's the best car I've ever own, I adore it!

But Tesla's customer service...that's another story.

I bought my M3 in early December 2021. It's now been over three months, and I haven't received my registration or my license plates (the temporary ones expired yesterday). For weeks, the same process repeats itself: (1) I call or email Tesla asking them for a status on my plates. (2) they tell me that Tesla submitted all the paper to California DMV, and that the DMV is running behind in sending plates out. (3) I am told that my issue will be flagged to Tesla's registration department for answers. (4) I hear nothing back.

Yesterday, I went down to my local DMV to see what I could find out. Lo and behold, the DMV tells me that my license plates were mailed to Tesla...in DECEMBER. So not only has Tesla been in possession of my license plates all along, they incorrectly repeatedly put the blame on the DMV.
Yesterday I called Tesla again and reported this. Once again, I got the same run-around: We'll call the registration department and give you an update. When I pressed to get an update ASAP, I was told that they "appreciate my understanding."

This is absolutely BONKERS. Tesla is holding my license plates and registration and refuses to tell me why they haven't sent them. They will not give me the direct extension for anyone in this registration department, and cannot seem to give me any updates.

I am at my wit's end.

• Informative
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I feel compelled to share my story with my fellow owners and any owners-to-be in this group.

First, let me start off by saying I love my Model 3! It's the best car I've ever own, I adore it!

But Tesla's customer service...that's another story.

I bought my M3 in early December 2021. It's now been over three months, and I haven't received my registration or my license plates (the temporary ones expired yesterday). For weeks, the same process repeats itself: (1) I call or email Tesla asking them for a status on my plates. (2) they tell me that Tesla submitted all the paper to California DMV, and that the DMV is running behind in sending plates out. (3) I am told that my issue will be flagged to Tesla's registration department for answers. (4) I hear nothing back.

Yesterday, I went down to my local DMV to see what I could find out. Lo and behold, the DMV tells me that my license plates were mailed to Tesla...in DECEMBER. So not only has Tesla been in possession of my license plates all along, they incorrectly repeatedly put the blame on the DMV.
Yesterday I called Tesla again and reported this. Once again, I got the same run-around: We'll call the registration department and give you an update. When I pressed to get an update ASAP, I was told that they "appreciate my understanding."

This is absolutely BONKERS. Tesla is holding my license plates and registration and refuses to tell me why they haven't sent them. They will not give me the direct extension for anyone in this registration department, and cannot seem to give me any updates.

I am at my wit's end.
My guess is it’s in a stack with 100 other plates in FedEx envelopes and is somebody’s “extra” duty to sort out. Sad to see.

Took delivery of my M3 in CA on 12/30. Temp registration due to expire soon. Should I be contacting the DMV first or calling Tesla first?
An update to my journey to get my actual tags:

Spent a few days trying to get in touch with Tesla online or over the phone. If you need your registration and tags, I was told they can't help you online and they don't have any resources. First person I talked to told me to call the DMV, the CA DMV lady was very nice and helpful but it turns out Tesla has sent in incomplete paperwork. So I try to contact them online, get the number to my delivery center, and give them several calls. I've learned this week trying to get in touch with Tesla sales to get something done without having a direct number is pretty much a fool's errand.

So today I gave in and just took a drive to Burbank. Drove in, walked into the sales area, and told them I needed my tags and registration. Turns out the e-signature I gave when taking delivery failed, and they come out of the backroom with physical copies of documents for me to sign. They registration should be done by tomorrow and plates mailed in 2 weeks. Hopefully a copy of the title goes to DCU since they're getting a little testy with not having a title in their files.

tl;dr just go in person they probably messed up the paperwork and then they'll make you have to sign stuff anyways.

Reactions: SWIPE
So I picked up a MYP 9/21 from a delivery center and it took 3 months for the plates to arrive. Weird thing was I never signed anything other than the doing the online stuff. Definitely Tesla's fault because my other ICE car took less than 4 weeks and I bought it around the same time. CA DMV told me Tesla didn't finish the registration when Tesla said the DMV is backlogged (BS).

I had another MYP home delivered 3 weeks ago and it had a UPS envelope inside with DMV papers to sign. I signed those and mailed those out about a week after receiving the car. 2 weeks later the plates showed up. Both cars were processed from the same delivery center. So basically... unpredictable

Reactions: SPACE_EX
Similar thing happened to me with my model Y - 1 week before 90 days temp tags expire it turns out they haven't mailed it in to the DMV and needed me to come into a dealership and physically sign paperwork that I had previously electronically signed for touchless delivery.

This is extremely frustrating, because after researching I discovered that they're in violation of CA law by not giving me my title within 15 business days of purchase of the vehicle. The good news is I can write them a letter and they'll have to pay me $25 for every day I've been waiting, and the price triples if they don't pay me in 60 days. Up to $7500.

This is a great guide to know your rights in CA: https://www.jag.navy.mil/legal_serv...2_AUTO_BUYING_TITLE_REGISTRATION_JUN_2015.pdf

Reactions: jiehan
I purchased a new TeslaY September 24th, 2021. My temporary license expires in just over 2 weeks time and therefore in view of this I called the CA DMV to get an update only to learn from them that they do not have completed documents and therefore informed that until they receive this information from Tesla (who needs to refile the docs or contact DMV), I will not receive my license plates and title.

I reported this to my local Tesla facility and talked to a sales associate as Tesla does not have any customer service personnel, who informed me that I will have to wait until the temporary license expires and that I should not be in contact with DMV. I emailed her back and reported what DMV had told me however there seemed little that she could do about it. I purchased this vehicle from Tesla in good faith and paid $56,000 including registration and taxes. If there was a glitch somewhere between Tesla and DMV, this should not be my issue. I would certainly expect a higher level of service from a luxury brand like Tesla.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have same problem took delivery of model 3 in Nov 2022 and as of Feb 2023 haven’t received plates. Have called, and emailed multiple times the delivery center. And delivery team member with no resolution