TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

License Suspended while sleep on Autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Garlan Garner, May 17, 2019.

1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

• Disagree x 1
  2. darxsys

darxsys Member

In this case, the police said that the driver fell asleep with his hands on the wheel, which might have applied enough torque to stop Autopilot from bringing the vehicle to a stop due to an unresponsive driver.

That’s your answer.

• Like x 2
  3. Wooloomooloo

Wooloomooloo Member

According to the article you quoted, but maybe didn't read, the man fell asleep with his hands on the steering wheel, and so maybe applied enough pressure on it to stop the AP nagging.

• Like x 2
  4. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

I don't see how that's possible.

Try it.

Its just not possible to keep from putting too much force on the wheel while asleep and forcing the car out of of EAP.

• Disagree x 1
  5. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

Sure it is.
    Many different ways to grip the wheel and have your arms in lap or on the armrests etc.
    just one would be to push your wrist through bottom opening and just rest it there hanging. Because it’s mostly at bottom area it won’t even put all that much torque in the wheel. But maybe enough.

6. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

It’s possible especially if the road has some curvature to it

7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Sure it is....but not when you are sleep.

Really people? Come on.

The weight of his arm and hands must have been absolutely perfect the whole time. Not too much and not too little.

• Disagree x 1
  8. darxsys

darxsys Member

You're over complicating. There are many different ways to hold the steering wheel and many different positions that will be just enough for autopilot to be fine and not nag you. From what you're saying, it sounds to me like you need to grip the steering wheel with the force of a bodybuilder in order for autopilot to work.

9. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

I have about 10k miles of NOA under my belt. I'm fully aware of the band between "not enough force" and "too much force" to keep Autopilot going.

Its extremely narrow and I can't imagine that someone unconscious could keep the weight of their arms in that narrow range.

• Disagree x 1
  10. sixela

sixela Member

They do have pictures of the guy asleep at the wheel. It's real. At least the autosteer was working and they managed to wake him up with the sirens...

11. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

I don't question that he's sleep. Not at all.

I'm trying to figure out how the car drove long enough for the cops to "keep trying" to wake him up.

12. darxsys

darxsys Member

People here have given you reasonable explanations, so I don’t know what else you want. People have different grips, muscle strength, sleep styles. His seat could be adjusted just well enough for this to work. How was he resting his arms on his legs? So many variables. Plus he was drunk so maybe it wasn’t even normal sleep, or full sleep. Maybe he was dreaming about having sex with his significant other, and when they do it, he just pulls their hair so in this case the hair was the steering wheel. Or whatever.

• Funny x 4
  13. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Maybe his arms were being held up by balloons...etc.

That would be reasonable. right?

Yeah....good luck with those "reasonable" explanations.

14. Wooloomooloo

Wooloomooloo Member

OK, what do you think happened?

From the pictures it looks as though his hands are on the bottom of the steering wheel. I often bring my knees upwards towards the wheel and rest my wrist on my knee, and grip the wheel lightly at about 5 o'clock, which is the most comfortable and relaxed I find I can get that maintains torque on the wheel with very little effort.

People fall asleep with glasses of wine in their hands, or holding a book open - it's not that far fetched he fell asleep gripping the wheel.

• Like x 1
  15. SoCal Buzz

SoCal Buzz Supporting Member

Same thing happened with this driver, who didn't even wake up when police tried to pull over. The car remained on AP, and police drove in front and gradually slowed down so the Tesla would stop on it's own. Sticking your arm through the bottom is enough to stay on AP, and I suspect would not disengage unless you hit some turns that created excessive down-force.

Calif. police use Tesla system to halt sleeping man’s car

16. timvracer

timvracer Member

I smell an agenda.

I have leaned against the wheel in slow traffic, and just having my weight on the wheel, shifting a bit here and there as car stops and goes, and it totally defeats the nags.

I don't get your refusal to accept a very logical explanation, but whatever, everyone has a keyboard.

• Like x 1
  17. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  18. Bmac

Bmac Member

I do believe that it is possible to grip the steering wheel at the bottom which would provide, IMO, sufficient torque. I don't know why Tesla doesn't think of having a 2nd authentication process. GM uses some type of retinal indicator -- supposedly it's looking at your eyes and determining if they are open or shut. That might be a more secure authentication process to prevent idiots on the road trying to outsmart Tesla or simply being too drunk to care.

19. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

Maybe a side conversation but in regards to AP crash that killed the Florida driver. Does anyone know of or read anything about some of the other OEM driver assist cars that have had serious accidents or failures?
    I can only assume they would be likely to have the same problems under certain conditions.
    Possibly not enough of them on the road yet to give a large sampling size?
    Anyway just curious.

20. Bmac

Bmac Member

My guess is that there is no driver assist vehicle that would operate on local roads to the extent that Tesla's autopilot does. My understanding of the Florida crash is that it occurred at an intersection, and nobody should have autopilot functioning where a 90° turn is necessary. I don't chalk that up to a failure of autopilot as much as it is a human error.