Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LID ON THE KETTLE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are big things brewing behind the scenes? We know that Tesla Motors will have to go public to produce the White Star, I wonder if serious negotiations are taking place right now. Any thoughts? (No half baked rumors please). 

We know that Tesla Motors will have to go public to produce the White Star

How do we know that? I don't remember reading anything to indicate this?

Although I would love to be able to purchase stock in this company, I would hope that Tesla will remain private as long as possible to reduce the probability that they be subsumed by a vehicle manufacturer that decides to kill the Tesla as not being profitable enough to produce, or as too much competition for their existing line of business.

In addition to a vehicle manufacturer, there is also the possibility of an investor group made up of oil interests that could purchase a controlling stock interest. Even if the stock were non-voting they could still yield some influence.

Michael said:
We know that Tesla Motors will have to go public to produce the White Star

How do we know that?  I don't remember reading anything to indicate this?

Although I would love to be able to purchase stock in this company, I would hope that Tesla will remain private as long as possible to reduce the probability that they be subsumed by a vehicle manufacturer that decides to kill the Tesla as not being profitable enough to produce, or as too much competition for their existing line of business.
[/quothttp://www.autoobserver.com/2007/05/tesla_raises_fu.htmle]
Darry Siry says in this article that Tesla will have to go public to fund development of the sedan and construction of the New Mexico plant. What that means exactly I am not sure.

bikergod's link is messed up, so here is one you can click
"Whether the company has enough to fund development of a second car is unclear.
Bloomberg reports the $45 million in new capital will also be used to finance the second model -- a four-door sedan.
However, trade journal Automotive News, quoting a top Tesla executive, said the company will have to go public to produce the second car."

Also, see this link
"...Tesla must go public to fund development of the sedan and construction of a planned factory in New Mexico."

Private Equity seems to be big these days. Perhaps the possibility of talks like the ones going on between the Wall Street Journal and R. Murdock where the Journal keeps its "integrity" and family in power, just as it always has. :-\

bikergod said:
Anyway what do you make of the statement?

I should have tried to get a job there! :eek:

(I should have learned my lesson after ignoring all the "come work at Google, a pre-IPO company" they used to show on the slide projector at the Century theaters before movies).

Or maybe DDB is right and they will keep getting private equity for a while longer.

By the way, someone should see if Ken Fisher wants a Roadster (or an investment opportunity)!