TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lidar on sideview mirror?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by frebay, Mar 17, 2016.

1. frebay

frebay Member

2. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

This is fantastic! However if this mule really is in the wild right now it would seem to suggest that AP 2.0 hardware is not going to show up in manufactured Teslas in the next month or two.

Second thought: why would Tesla allow this to be seen in public? Any chance it is not a Tesla manufacturer vehicle but instead is a private individual / small startup's modified Tesla?

Kind of like how George Hotz of the newly funded comma.ai purchased an Acura and then modified it to develop his own autonomous driving software package.

3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Is that Lidar molded to the mirror frame or am I just not seeing it well?

Very cool - this is a big spotting.

4. bswn1

bswn1 Member

If this is the current stage, I think it's got to be a long way from production. If they were closer there's no way this ever would have been spotted.

There were reports months ago of Elon testing AP 2.0 sensors, so it shouldn't be a shock. I'm curious if this is a 3rd party solution as well, but more than likely Tesla prototype.

5. WMAC

WMAC Member

If the front and rear beam sizes are going to stay that size, the front and rear bumpers will certainly have to be redesigned.

6. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

The license plate number would tell you if it's Tesla owned.

7. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

It would certainly be a good hint however, it has been smeared out in the link photo.
    ~Larry

8. cytranic

cytranic Member

This