TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Life in the "EV Lane"

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wdolson, Apr 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

There is a gas station we have to drive past coming and going from home. It's at the bottom of the hill. They did some remodeling and installed a giant electric sign on the curb that shows the current cost of regular in characters about 3 feet high and right at eye level when you're sitting at the traffic light.

The other day I was sitting at the light, I couldn't avoid noticing the cost of gas was just under $3 a gallon and realized, I haven't paid the least attention to the price of gas for 9 months now. I was pondering I now am about as concerned about the cost of gas as I am the cost of cigarettes. I have no use for either.

Last summer I did get a mild jab in when the Rite Aid clerk was trying to sell me on upgrading my rewards card. He pointed out it had some benefits with stores that weren't around here and he said "you can earn discounts on gas". I told him I have no need for that and he looked at me weird. I finally told him I drove an electric.

• Like x 5
  2. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

I had a guy ask about my "Zero Emissions" plate - he literally could not understand how a car could drive with zero emissions - "We can't even talk without putting out something" was his reasoning.

3. wdolson

I suppose the car does put out a tiny bit of noise pollution. There is tire noise, and a slight hum from the motors, but those noises are lost in the environmental background noise most of the time. It is kind of entertaining to think the people in the car are emitting more into the environment than the car is.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am concerned that an adult human could equate a biological organism with a machine. Not a good analogy, by and large.

On the other hand, the "Zero Emissions" statement about BEVs can be misleading since most electricity is produced using fossil fuels. Fortunately, more and more electricity is being produced from sustainable energy. The trend line is positive.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I hear this argument from people all the time. They don't understand how the power plant's efficiency reduces emissions.

ICE's are only about 20-25% efficient on average when used in a passenger car. (Top efficiency can be double that, but only at near full power output which a passenger car cannot use but a tiny percentage of the time). Meanwhile, power plants can be 45-50% efficient using the same fossil fuel. Thus, converting fossil fuel to electricity to be used to power an EV can yield about half of the emissions per mile driven compared to using the fossil fuel directly in an ICE.

It's simply scalability. Converting the fossil fuel to energy at a single large unit is way more efficient than converting it in thousands of small units.

Using alternative forms of energy to produce electricity like solar or wind that do not use fossil fuels is a bonus on top of this. But it isn't required to realize a large reduction in greenhouse gases.

• Like x 2
  6. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

He was the hotel maintenance guy; not a quick thinker, but pretty cool... he'd actually built his own biodiesel truck.

I told him the car did give off heat, and he kept me entertained while I washed my car prior to bringing it to service, talking about getting grease from restaurants to drive his car.

I have had some semi hostile reactions from conservatives who point out our local electricity is from burning coal. I love having my solar cells trump card :) no pun intended.

• Like x 1
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

It's also important to note and accept that it takes energy to manufacture and install anything, including solar cells and wind turbines. But those have been net energy positive for several years, and the rapidly falling costs suggests that they are increasingly positive.

8. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

While most of my friends tend to lean liberal, if I'm going to hear anything negative about driving electric it comes from my conservative friends. I can only guess they are invested in oil and gas.

But for those that do call electrics "coal burners" have them watch this:

9. wdolson

Manufacturing a car and delivering it to the customer, even Teslas, consume fossil fuels too. The plants that make the sub-assemblies frequently run on fossil fuel electricity, the plastics are made from oil, the parts need to be transported to the factory for final assembly, then the finished car needs to be transported to the customer. Then there is all the gasoline burned by all the workers commuting to and from work.

10. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Same here. I never pay attention to gas prices. It has been 15 months since I bought gas. I like your cigarette analogy.

Also, just the other day, my wife and I were approached at the Supermarket by a rep trying to get us to sign-up for a credit car to earn gas rewards. My wife said we drive electric cars and the lady laughed. I'm not sure what she was laughing about but perhaps she thought we were lying as a means to get-away from her?

11. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

True, but over the lifespan of the car, the EV will emit many less tons of CO2 vs. an ICE so the net advantage goes to the EV, especially as more electricity becomes renewable and EV owners get rooftop solar.

12. wdolson

Agreed