Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Life span per owner/ car? Are you happy with your Teslas over 5 years old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m onto my 2nd used Tesla, have a 2016 75D Model X for the past 2 years. Really enjoy it but before I continue to customize it further I’m wondering how other used car owners are doing, If you plan to buy newer soon or continue to ride out your current “older” Tesla until the wheels fall off? Most recently I dropped $1000 on replacing the front wheel links which suddenly snapped (Tesla said due to its age and could’ve resulted into a really dangerous situation) when I applied the brakes “too hard” and were not covered under warranty so debating on whether I should wait it out on my 7 year old X or retry newer…

Reactions: RNHurt
I have a 2015 S70 that I'll keep forever. It's MCU1 is dying, so I'll have to fix that. It's at 40,000 miles and still gets 216 miles at 90% charge, so battery degradation is basically zero. (It's started out above spec and hasn't changed, so I'm getting suspicious.)
Insurance is low. "Fuel" cost is low, plus FUSC for road trips. Maintenance cost is low. Even a battery replacement (knock wood) would cost less than a new car. It has a slew of features I like that a new Tesla wouldn't have (yacht floor, sunroof, piano black interior, portrait screen orientation, huge frunk, and FUSC all come to mind). It's been reliable and does what I need (knock again).

Upvote 0
I am OK with just about everything on my 2016 car except:
  • Battery degradation at 70k miles is 8%. Getting near the tipping point on critical journeys where in the winter I now have to use Range Mode to make a round trip
  • Inside rear tire wear. Once my extended warranty expires I will put on the outside camber adjusters
  • Waiting 30-45 seconds for the dash to come alive before I can drive the car most days
  • Loss of some USB music features. Not critical and I don't ever expect to get them back as my FW will never get fixes or new features. Dead end car.
But other than this the car is substantially the same as when I bought it. I did an extended detailing on it last weekend and since I had it wrapped when new, the car essentially looks like it's 7 days old vs 7 years old. Even the interior is almost flawless with just a tiny bit of wrinkles on the edges of the drivers seat bolsters (cream leather).

Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0
I still love my 17 X, only vehicle I've ever bought new. I did "have to" upgrade the MCU to maintain decent UX, which wouldn't have been necessary on anything but a Tesla, but that's because I wouldn't have been getting such significant updates, and it also wouldn't have been possible on anything but a Tesla, so I don't really count that as a negative. To me, it's not even old yet, not even 100k miles and I put that many miles on my previous vehicles which I bought used with 40k-80k. I'd like to keep it forever, but I think it's too early to tell how realistic that is.

Upvote 0
If anybody is planning on keeping their car for the long run the MCU2 upgrade is worth the money.
I have not heard any rumors, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that upgrade stopped being available. It can't be a big money maker for Tesla, and you know what that means. Also, not being able to update the older cars would probably result in a lot of FUSC cars being traded in, which they would love.
Once the under-construction service center near me opens up, I'll be one of their first customers.

Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
I have not heard any rumors, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that upgrade stopped being available. It can't be a big money maker for Tesla, and you know what that means. Also, not being able to update the older cars would probably result in a lot of FUSC cars being traded in, which they would love.
Once the under-construction service center near me opens up, I'll be one of their first customers.

I might be mistaken, but I thought they started offering the MCU upgrade because of the eMMC recall?

Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
I might be mistaken, but I thought they started offering the MCU upgrade because of the eMMC recall?
Tesla keep adding features and the old processor+memory couldn't keep up. New route planning time, web browser usage, etc -- the feel of the car is vastly different. The 2nd screen (vs screen+cpu) is way nicer as well plus does FSD better that way.

The MCU2 uses an Intel Atom E8000 series CPU and a 64GB eMMC and is generally faster and smoother in every way when compared to the MCU1. It features a Google Chromium-based platform browser, 5G, Wi-Fi capability, an external Bluetooth antenna, and capability for FSD Enhanced Driving Visualizations (for those that own or subscribe to FSD).

MCU2 also comes with the capability to use all cameras for DashCam and Sentry mode if the vehicle has the FSD computer.

The enhanced memory and speed of the Tesla MCU2 allows it to include more entertainment media, such as games and video streaming capability (for example: YouTube, Netflix, and Twitch). And while games aren’t traditionally top priority when it comes to cars, the selection available with the MCU2 Tesla Arcade (like Stardew Valley and Cyberpunk 2077) is a pretty awesome perk (thanks, Elon!).

Upvote 0
Possibly, but that would compel them only to replace like-for-like, if I'm not mistaken. The upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 was an unexpected option that I don't think they have to keep offering, though I am guessing they like it because they have to keep fewer MCU1's in stock.

Upvote 0
Possibly, but that would compel them only to replace like-for-like, if I'm not mistaken. The upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 was an unexpected option that I don't think they have to keep offering, though I am guessing they like it because they have to keep fewer MCU1's in stock.
I think ngng meant that they added the option because each customer that opts to upgrade the MCU prior to recall completion or confirmed eMMC failure (not sure recall was the right word since they weren't replacing them for people that asked unless they had failed) is a customer whose eMMC they don't have to replace. They may also offer the MCU2 upgrade at a discounted price in lieu of eMMC replacement for a recall or after a failure is confirmed.

Reactions: kavyboy
Upvote 0
I have not. I think I would rather save the power than the time. :)
No problem.
I thought that too for awhile, then it just got annoying.
Also, if you manually unlock (press key) as you approach from distance vs letting it auto-unlock when you reach the door, you do get a jump start on booting up.
Could save you a whole 5-10 seconds! ;)
But that kinda defeats the purpose and convenience of having a prox key doesn't it.

Upvote 0
No problem.
I thought that too for awhile, then it just got annoying.
Also, if you manually unlock (press key) as you approach from distance vs letting it auto-unlock when you reach the door, you do get a jump start on booting up.
Could save you a whole 5-10 seconds! ;)
But that kinda defeats the purpose and convenience of having a prox key doesn't it.
If I have to drive later that day, I sometimes unlock the car and open the door just to get it to leave deep sleep. Otherwise, I have to sit in the car for a few minutes while "systems power up", and then I'm 15 to 20 minutes into the drive before I get the MCU in a workable state. After that, it's good, though. :p
I'm really looking forward to MCU2, though I'll be sad to say goodbye to firmware 2020.12.11.5.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
If I have to drive later that day, I sometimes unlock the car and open the door just to get it to leave deep sleep. Otherwise, I have to sit in the car for a few minutes while "systems power up", and then I'm 15 to 20 minutes into the drive before I get the MCU in a workable state.
Wow, Does the app state it's time for the eMMC fix?

On my car it's just the dash, and really only for 30-45 seconds.

Upvote 0
Wow, Does the app state it's time for the eMMC fix?

On my car it's just the dash, and really only for 30-45 seconds.
I haven't checked. I only extremely rarely use the app (or the phone), and the app is on an ancient version which probably doesn't have that capability.

I had already gotten an MCU replacement before the recall, which I paid for in full. Then the recall came out, and Tesla sent me a check to cover the previous replacement cost. Now the "new" one is dying, and I don't know what state I'm in regarding what's in warranty or not, but you just know what their answer will actually be - the default "not covered". I don't have the intestinal fortitude to argue the point, especially since customer service is basically unreachable for me. (Again, no phone = no texts -> brick wall) My plan is to pay for the MCU2 upgrade and be done with it.

Upvote 0