Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Life span per owner/ car? Are you happy with your Teslas over 5 years old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m onto my 2nd used Tesla, have a 2016 75D Model X for the past 2 years. Really enjoy it but before I continue to customize it further I’m wondering how other used car owners are doing, If you plan to buy newer soon or continue to ride out your current “older” Tesla until the wheels fall off? Most recently I dropped $1000 on replacing the front wheel links which suddenly snapped (Tesla said due to its age and could’ve resulted into a really dangerous situation) when I applied the brakes “too hard” and were not covered under warranty so debating on whether I should wait it out on my 7 year old X or retry newer…

Reactions: RNHurt
Hi I have just joined and this is my first post. Hello! I have searched for my problem but cant find it so thought you guys might be able to help me.
I have a 2016 Model S which went in for the Emmc upgrade in January. (Love it by the way and would love to keep it until it expires) I actually went in for the supercharging upgrade thingy (apologies I am not technical) and they upgraded the computer chip at the same time. I was experiencing some slowness previously, as if the computer was tired, taking time to wake up, as above, and I had to constantly reboot via the steering wheel. To cut a long story short, I had lots of problems afterwards , most of which have been ironed out but the last thing is that the Road Traffic Announcements are stuck on with the traffic light icon greyed out and unresponsive so I have to just wait for it to finish before it goes back to the station I was listening to before. It is very irritating and Tesla have told me there is nothing they can do until there is another software update. I can still drive the car and can live with it by never listening to the radio but I would rather not. I can't believe all 2016 model Ss have the same problem as I cant see it anywhere . Am I being fobbed off?
I also noticed yesterday that my screen is leaking glue which is a problem I saw others were having. Would your advice be to just upgrade the whole computer?
Thanks and sorry, that was rather an essay!

Upvote 0
I'm 15 to 20 minutes into the drive before I get the MCU in a workable state. After that, it's good, though. :p
I'm really looking forward to MCU2, though I'll be sad to say goodbye to firmware 2020.12.11.5.
Damn, I couldn't handle 15-20 minutes! That's longer than most of my rides. I would definitely upgrade if that was happening to me.
The 30 seconds was annoying enough before I turned off the power save mode. No way I could live with 15-20 minutes before full functionality.

Upvote 0
Damn, I couldn't handle 15-20 minutes! That's longer than most of my rides. I would definitely upgrade if that was happening to me.
The 30 seconds was annoying enough before I turned off the power save mode. No way I could live with 15-20 minutes before full functionality.
My last trip, my wife and I bet on whether the system would come up before we got home. It appeared she was the winner, since the nav displayed, but when we realized it froze soon after we called it a tie.
We did find out that in this particular drive that when the HVAC was put into "dog mode", the failure mode seemed to be to keep the cabin temperature constant even when the screens were dead and black. But wow, would I not suggest depending on that!

Upvote 0
2018X 100D owner here. Less than 3% battery degradation in 5 years (only 7 miles degradation). Just got the CCS upgrade. Free supercharging: I will keep the car until it's last dying breath. Very happy with car except for phantom braking on the rural highways around here in Southern Oregon: 2-3 times EACH DAY on road trips. Extremely abrupt braking frequently for no apparent reason at all (not even any shadows on the road). Using cruise control essentially impossible because of the phantom braking: super dangerous if any rain, snow, or just dampness on the road. I don't mess with FSD/autopilot much because of the phantom braking. I figure they'll eventually come up with a software version trained for rural two lane highways (I keep hoping - and constantly disappointed is not fixed in each new FSD software release).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My last trip, my wife and I bet on whether the system would come up before we got home. It appeared she was the winner, since the nav displayed, but when we realized it froze soon after we called it a tie.
We did find out that in this particular drive that when the HVAC was put into "dog mode", the failure mode seemed to be to keep the cabin temperature constant even when the screens were dead and black. But wow, would I not suggest depending on that!
this sounds like a very spefific car problem, never heard it this bad...

Upvote 0
December 2016 MX P100d. It’s fine I guess. 254 miles of range. It battery probably was not well cared for by previous owner. Front axles and control arm’s replaced at 30k miles. Has an onboard charging issue that it will not supercharge in temps below 50. Left display started leaking two weeks ago. FwD exterior wind seals are really deteriorating. No FSD beta. I like it a lot but its got flaws. I’ll keep it as long as I can.

Upvote 0
My 2018 X100D was the first car I ever bought new. I had never kept any car for more than 5 years, so my brain keeps telling me to move on...
Yesterday I went on the Tesla trade in to check, and they value it at 46k, which hurt! I could have sold it for 70k in the pandemic... :/
I have a reservation for a Rivian R1S, and also a Volvo 90, but having second thoughts on dropping another 50k cash on a car at trade in. I also looked at possibly just trading into a new Y LR for almost no extra cash. Even looked at used R1S at 100k, and selling mine at CarMax...

Today came across this post, which makes me a bit more comfortable in keeping my 55k mile X. I have free supercharging, which I dont use much, only used it on two 17h trips a couple years back, I have FSD, which I would never pay for it again, as it's not reliable yet, and I use it mostly when I feel adventurous.

Other than tire wear and changing front struts once under warranty, I never really had any issues. With the software upgrades, it really doesnt feel like an old car, and the design is still very fresh. We miss some features from the newer models, but that'll always be the case with these new drivable iphones we call cars...

For now, I'll give her a good wash, maybe take for service to do an overall checkup... and maybe when my R1S comes up, I'll take a look again at the pro/cons...

Upvote 0
First was a new 2017 Model S. After almost 6 years to the day, I sold that and just yesterday picked up a Model X. Prior to Tesla, the longest I ever owned a car was three years and the shortest was a year. And that was a lot of cars over the years. I think that says something at least imho.

Upvote 0
I’m onto my 2nd used Tesla, have a 2016 75D Model X for the past 2 years. Really enjoy it but before I continue to customize it further I’m wondering how other used car owners are doing, If you plan to buy newer soon or continue to ride out your current “older” Tesla until the wheels fall off? Most recently I dropped $1000 on replacing the front wheel links which suddenly snapped (Tesla said due to its age and could’ve resulted into a really dangerous situation) when I applied the brakes “too hard” and were not covered under warranty so debating on whether I should wait it out on my 7 year old X or retry newer…
Yes 2016 w 140K miles

Upvote 0