Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifespan for tires on 22" rims on Tesla Model X P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site.

I am hoping to buy a Model X in the next few months, and more specifically, I'm considering the Model X P100D. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to get the 22" rims (they do look better), and I'm curious to know how many miles everybody else who owns a Model X P100D has gotten on their tires?

Lead foot MX75D here...@ 10,000 miles I still had 8/32 left. (approximately 70% remaining) comparatively I got about 35,000 miles out of my 20” Contisilents.

Spirited driving with a Model X P90D, and I got 17,000 out of my Contisilents (rear). The rears were 5/5/5/0.

Front had more life, but I chose to replace all 4. Currently running WRG-3 for the winter, and will get something else when spring rolls around.

Those of you with 22s:
What size are your fronts & rears? I'm about to pick up some 22s for my P100DX to augment the OEM 20s. The 20s are 265/45 front & 275/45 rears.

22s will be the summer shoes; when the original Contis on the 20s wear out I'll replace them with...something...for winter shoes.

With a proper alignment, it’s possible to get far more than 20k from a set of 22” tires, even with the suspension set to low. I’m on track to get about 25,000 miles out of my set, and wear is even across the width of all four tires.

Did you have the alignment changed on your car? I'm having severe wear with my MX on the rear tires (cupping) after only 20k (km) and to me, it seems the alignment is off and I am looking at having it corrected by either Tesla or a specialized tire company. With my MS I could easily drive 60k (km) with the same set without ever having to swap them (left-right front-rear etc)

Did you have the alignment changed on your car? I'm having severe wear with my MX on the rear tires (cupping) after only 20k (km) and to me, it seems the alignment is off and I am looking at having it corrected by either Tesla or a specialized tire company. With my MS I could easily drive 60k (km) with the same set without ever having to swap them (left-right front-rear etc)

The service center aligned my car once, as part of a suspension-related diagnosis. I have 31k miles on the car now and the rear tires are wearing evenly. In your case, I think it's worth at least having the alignment checked, either by Tesla or an alignment shop. Cupping after only 20k km seems unusual, though there could be other factors.

The service center aligned my car once, as part of a suspension-related diagnosis. I have 31k miles on the car now and the rear tires are wearing evenly. In your case, I think it's worth at least having the alignment checked, either by Tesla or an alignment shop. Cupping after only 20k km seems unusual, though there could be other factors.

Thank you for your reply. I have an appointment with my SeC tomorrow and they will look at the alignment. They already confirmed that this kind of wear is common with the MX, but not after only 20k km. Of course, other factors could be adding to the wear, but...........

I bet how many times you say "Hold my beer" and then demonstrate the performance of your car is a major determining factor.

I do not tend to do this. With my previous Tesla Model S, I was able to drive 60k km with the same set of tires without ever having this kind of wear on the tires. I am convinced that this is an alignment problem. In another thread, someone mentioned that 90% of the Model X cars are misaligned.

Thank you for your reply. I have an appointment with my SeC tomorrow and they will look at the alignment. They already confirmed that this kind of wear is common with the MX, but not after only 20k km. Of course, other factors could be adding to the wear, but...........

Please let us know what they find.

Does anyone know if Tesla SCs do an alignment check as part of their annual service? If so, it would make the fee a bit easier to take.

I'm in sunny San Diego and do 30% local/70% freeway driving. My Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus tires are 265/35 R22 102Y front and 285/35 R22 106Y rear. After driving 40,000 miles, they are all approximately 4/4/4 or 4/4/5 or 5/4/4 tread depth. Because of the good weather, I probably could put another 10,000 miles and be at 3/32 depth. I sometimes have a lead foot :)