Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Alignment Cost for MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i live in the socal area and was looking to get a lifetime alignment started on my 2015 70D MS due to the fact that my last set of tires wore unevenly (more on the inner wall). most places said they didnt do it. i finally found a firestone in the area that said they would do it. i went today to get it done and was thinking the lifetime service was $199. they entered my VIN and said that my service would be $325. has anyone had this and it seems high. any validity to this? thanks

heres what they charged.

LIFETIME WHEEL ALIGNMENT $199.99
LIFETIME ADV DRIVER ASSIST SYSTEM RECAL $125.00
TOTAL $324.99

What is that second charge for?

That's what we call a "scam."

There is no driver assist recalibration when you're aligning the car. Period. Alignment is a purely mechanical process, using two wrenches to adjust eccentric bolts and tie rods. And if there was a recalibration tool, do you really think Tesla would make it available to freaking Firestone? They barely make it available to their own approved shops!

The only relevant sensor is the steering angle sensor, and it adjusts automatically as you drive.

OP, ask them exactly what's involved in the 'system recalibration.' They will proceed to lie to you, and then call the corporate number to have that charge removed.

Tesla tax

But that's bogus. Tesla suspension is no different than Mercedes Airmatic, and I guarantee you they do alignments for every old E class out there.

If they labeled it as "extra charge for having to remove the plastic underbody panels," ok sure. I guess. But it's not a sensor recalibration.

The problem is, the Tesla fanbase has built up this stigma of fear around the cars ---- that only NASA engineers can work on them, they're too scared to touch them. But there's nothing to an alignment. It's very easy.3

That's a bogus fee. They should have listed only 1 price of $324.99 and not inventing any bogus story.

Or they could call it "luxury car fee applicable to Tesla only".

But it's still just a bogus fee. There's no need for it. There's not anything special about aligning a Tesla, other than removing a couple clips to drop a plastic panel. It's purely a fabrication to scam people who don't know any better.

i think they are going to site this as to the reason they charged me. a tesla is more "complicated"

This is literally straight out of Tesla's service manual:

The Steering Angle Sensor calibration at the end is updated automatically by the car as you drive, or Tesla (service centers only) can run the update instantly, when the car is in service mode, hooked up to their proprietary software.

But here's the thing: Steering Angle Sensor Calibration can only be done with Tesla Toolbox, which is a proprietary software that Firestone doesn't have.

There is no "driver assist calibration" that a random non-approved service shop like firestone can do. Period. None.

So, whatever they're charging you for, they aren't actually doing. If you paid for a lifetime alignment and "calibration," I'd go take it back and ask them to re-calibrate it. Then stand and watch them as they try to figure out how to make it look like they're doing something.

For what it's worth, I have lifetime alignment with Firestone on my S. I paid $200 for it. They go in and adjust camber, caster, and toe, and then roll it off the rack. Done. There's no other steps involved.

...So, whatever they're charging you for, they aren't actually doing...
Agreed. It's possible to do ADAS sensor adjustment but I doubt Firestone is able to do it.

Firestone mentioned a rearview camera. If the lines are misaligned I doubt Firestone has access to Tesla ADAS system to get those rearview camera lines adjusted.

It's fine that they want to charge more because they can but they should not charge more by misleading as if they can access and adjust Tesla AutopilotFSD capability including "self-park, and emergency brake".

Agreed. It's possible to do ADAS sensor adjustment but I doubt Firestone is able to do it.

Firestone mentioned a rearview camera. If the lines are misaligned I doubt Firestone has access to Tesla ADAS system to get those rearview camera lines adjusted.

It's fine that they want to charge more because they can but they should not charge more by misleading as if they can access and adjust Tesla AutopilotFSD capability including "self-park, and emergency brake".

It's possible to do an ADAS adjustment, but unbelievably unlikely it would need to be done. If your camera lines are *that* misaligned, I'm guessing you have either severely worn components that shouldn't be aligned, or you've had some sort of crash/impact and need to go to some place more skilled than Firestone.

And to your point, literally no one but Tesla and the Approved Body Shops have Tesla Toolbox software, so no, they're definitely not 'adjusting it.'

A "you pay more because screw you" charge would be annoying but maybe acceptable......straight up lying is not.

And to sum up, I have the Lifetime Alignment on my S from Firestone. it was $200, and they adjust camber/caster/toe, mechanically. Just like every other car. There is no adjustment to anything else, at all.

so i called and demanded an explanation and the manager just gave me the expected BS excuse that the teslas are more complicated computers and require the advanced testing, blah blah blah. he really wouldnt do anything. she said if i wasnt satisfied, he would refund me the $324 lifetime, but charge me a one time alignment of $143 and i could go somewhere else. ridiculous. but got screwed this time it looks like. but i couldnt find anywhere else around me that would do it.

Yep, to me that sounds like confirmation that they are trying to rip you off.

I'd still call corporate and explain that you wouldn't have gone there if you knew that location wouldn't honor the $199 lifetime price......and now you're being charged $143 for something you didn't want.

Last edited:
So after reading all of the above, I've spent most of the morning researching this and calling local Tire Kingdoms and Firestone stores in the Daytona Beach, FL, area. I've been a loyal Tire Kingdom customer for years (both for my personal vehicles, and a corporate account with over 25 vehicles on Tire Kingdom alignment policies) and know most of the managers and store operations in this area.

Here's the bottom line: Tesla's manufactured prior to 2020-2021...any shop can align provided they have the specs, tools, procedures, etc. Nothing special. Tire Kingdom, unfortunately, as a company, has not kept up with newer cars and while most should be able to do earlier model Tesla's, none can do the newer ones with ADAS. So, I then called local Firestones. There are 4 in our immediate area. Only the newest one, open only a couple of years, has the proper equipment and trained personnel to do a full alignment, including the ADAS system, which from a purely technical, engineering point of view, clearly should be done. (I'm a retired military test pilot...from a safety and operational point of view, you can be sure that I will be getting mine done properly and frankly, Firestone's is a bargain price for that piece of mind.)

So here is what I was quoted by Nick, in the Port Orange, FL, Firestone store: yes, they can do the full alignment, including, ADAS. Cost $146.99 + tax for a one year alignment; $324.99 + tax for a lifetime alignment, which means "...for as long as you own the car".

Hope this information helps somebody. I'm sharing it in good faith based on my research and calls made this morning.