Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
16 S 75 here. Average for 29000 miles is 268. I drove from Cape Coral to Palm Bay yesterday anD averaged 264 wh/mi. With an average speed of 60 mph for the trip. I started with 230 miles rated and ended with 57. The distance was 187 miles. My speed was 5-15 over the limit and I don’t hypermile. There are a lot of us who exceed rated range and drive normally.

16 S 75 here. Average for 29000 miles is 268. I drove from Cape Coral to Palm Bay yesterday anD averaged 264 wh/mi. With an average speed of 60 mph for the trip. I started with 230 miles rated and ended with 57. The distance was 187 miles. My speed was 5-15 over the limit and I don’t hypermile. There are a lot of us who exceed rated range and drive normally.
Your lifetime is almost identical to mine. Not surprising, I have the same car and drive in the same weather. I am always surprised though at the high wh/mi I see in rainstorms with identical driving patterns, 340-350 wh/mi is not uncommon at all.

I have a CPO 2013 MS 85 19” wheels, which I bought with 29k miles on it. On my normal 100 mile East Bay to SF freeway round trip drive to work which I make 14 days/month I set the cruise control at 65 and just go with the flow - I get an average of 292 Wh/mi. (I drive opposite traffic flow, nights into the city, morning into the East Bay, with the only slow down usually being the last 6 miles heading into SF - the toll booths, bridge, and a bit of the 80/101 city path.)

• Informative
Reactions: David29
My Teslafi with consumption factor corrected to be on par with what the car dispalys shows 217Wh/km (347Wh/mi) over roughly 31,000km. (19k mi)
Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 13.08.51.png

However I know that my car's rated (typical in EU) consumption is 187Wh/km. So I should have used 35.898km Typical but I used 39.363. So the difference which is 3465km is phantom loss and unaccounted energy usage done while idle. That equals 647kWh. Over exactly 284 days that is 2,27kWh in a day. Let's assume 10% is me idling that makes 2kWh per day of phantom loss. That's an avg. load of 750 to 800watts when idling. Which is an awful lot.

What do you guys think of my math here?

My Teslafi with consumption factor corrected to be on par with what the car dispalys shows 217Wh/km (347Wh/mi) over roughly 31,000km. (19k mi)
View attachment 445063

However I know that my car's rated (typical in EU) consumption is 187Wh/km. So I should have used 35.898km Typical but I used 39.363. So the difference which is 3465km is phantom loss and unaccounted energy usage done while idle. That equals 647kWh. Over exactly 284 days that is 2,27kWh in a day. Let's assume 10% is me idling that makes 2kWh per day of phantom loss. That's an avg. load of 750 to 800watts when idling. Which is an awful lot.

Not sure if you, or TeslaFi, have all of the needed input data to know about phantom loss, etc. For example, if the calculations assume that your battery has a certain amount of energy, kwh, but your battery actually has significantly less energy available, the calculations could erroneously show a reduced efficiency or a lot of "phantom loss".
My car (2016 S 90D) for example, has only about 72-73 kwh of available energy. Yet the energy/range display continues to show the range of a battery with a normal battery. So if an algorithm used 80 or 85 kwh as the assumed available energy, it could "conclude" that my battery SOC is going down too fast due to "phantom drain" when in fact, the only phantom is the degraded battery.
I was told by a Tesla technician that the cars energy display does count, keep track of, HVAC use, but does not keep track of energy used to cool or heat the battery. So that energy should be counted as phantom drain. True phantom drain is about 1% per day. That is, if I leave my car parked at the airport for long time, the battery percentage, SOC, drops about 1% per day.

View attachment 445063

battery preconditioning, sentry mode etc, teslafi also isnt perfect.

2015 S85D with 83,589 miles on it. I bought it used so I don't have lifetime data unfortunately, but over the last 16,109 miles I've gotten 330 wh/mi. The majority of those miles are freeway miles on road trips going 70-80 mph. The average was 318 until I went on my most recent road trip which was from Utah to Florida over the Christmas break which means winter conditions. Granted driving through the south wasn't exactly the "winter like conditions" I'm used to in Utah.