Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 - 2018
Model S P85+ 144.810mi (233.000km) 215Wh/km = 346Wh/mi (1 mile = 1,609km)
2018 - now
Model S P100DL 44.750mi (72.000km) 218Wh/km = 351Wh/mi

Mix of highways, byways and city. Mostly highways between 137 and 107km/hr = 85 and 66mi/hr.
Although recenty speedlimit in The Netherlands has been lowered to 100km/hr due to reduction of nitrogen oxide emissions.

Bought a lr raven a few months ago to replace The 75 I posted about earlier. Current wh per mile is 261 vs 268 for the 75. Still breaking in. I hope at around 10,000 miles it will improve like the 75 did. The over the road efficiency is still significantly worse than the 75. I don’t believe the raven range hype. Running at 70-75 the real world efficiency is 84% vs the 75 getting right at 100% of rated range.

Bought a lr raven a few months ago to replace The 75 I posted about earlier. Current wh per mile is 261 vs 268 for the 75. Still breaking in. I hope at around 10,000 miles it will improve like the 75 did. The over the road efficiency is still significantly worse than the 75. I don’t believe the raven range hype. Running at 70-75 the real world efficiency is 84% vs the 75 getting right at 100% of rated range.

Greentheonly posted some similar findings recently for the Model X. It sounds like it is all hype in terms of highway range.

My LR RWD Model 3 is rated at 325 miles. So 75 kwh battery / 325 miles = 230 Wh.

My lifetime average is 250 Wh.

It's like this for all of the cars. The rating is based on the EPA test cycle, and this isn't unique to Tesla. Gas cars these days are designed for that track, and real life numbers aren't going to match.

That said, you can easily go under the rated number if you stay off the highway. Stop and go city traffic is king for an EV. Or anytime you're cruising under 50 mph should work wonders
No. I cannot "easily go under the rated number" in my car. Of course I can get low consumption going downhill or coasting. But any trip that represents anything like normal driving will consume significantly more than the rated wh/mi. Remember, there is "Ideal Range" and "Rated Range". Ideal range is not achievable with any semblance of normal driving. Rated Range was marketed as readily achievable with modest driving.
On average, Model S owners achieve about 70% of Rated Range. Can be seen here as "efficiency". TezLab

Interesting to consider variations between individual cars. Tire pressure? Wheel alignment?

I get close to or a little better than rated range most of the time. It's been getting a little better over time, it was about 310 Wh/Mi the first year, and now it's down to 301 Wh/Mi. I'm rarely over 300 Wh/Mi these days and was something like 275 the last time I was out.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
I beat rated range most of the time.
I think one major contributor of energy use is the climate control. I turn it off if I'm comfortable. In wintertime I always pre heat so the battery is warm (that heater uses a lot of energy), use recirc and AC off unless it's fogging up.

But a lot of my driving is suburban roads without too many stops and most speed limits are below 50mph; that's the other major factor.

The last time I checked, is was 287 wh/m over 160,000; and that was before springtime.

• Informative
No. I cannot "easily go under the rated number" in my car. Of course I can get low consumption going downhill or coasting. But any trip that represents anything like normal driving will consume significantly more than the rated wh/mi. Remember, there is "Ideal Range" and "Rated Range". Ideal range is not achievable with any semblance of normal driving. Rated Range was marketed as readily achievable with modest driving.
On average, Model S owners achieve about 70% of Rated Range. Can be seen here as "efficiency". TezLab

Depends on what you're doing with the car. If you are doing 70 mph highway, then yeah, your range is going to suffer, but even then it matters if you're at the front of a row of cars or trailing them.

If you lived in Hawaii, the roads aren't fast and you'd be able to easily beat the estimates. That would be "normal driving". If you're in the middle of no where, TX, then maybe normal to you is over 90 mph. Zero chance you'd meet EPA numbers.

Wind resistance always hurts an EV. We get no efficiency bonus by going faster.

I have a 3 month old MS LR plus with 2,675 miles.....two road trips of over 475 miles for each one....rst of driving is around town but have been shut down for a while and dont drive a lot the last few weeks....I have alternated between supercharging and home charging.....I have a wall charger Nema 14-50 but it was internal bad causing the heat sensor to lower the current from 40a to 30a....this behavior continued until the car was charged to what I have set......it did it for both cars....changed it out for a new hard wired wall charger and last 3 charges have been at 40a...so problem fixed.....I am getting for the life of the Model S LR Plus an average of 253 wh/m for 2,675 miles.....the road trip were taken in February to Yuma, Az and air conditioning was used......I averaged around the same for that trip.....I am sure because of the Lowe mileage overall, I should balance out soon and see maybe a little higher wh/m but right now I am a happy camper

• Informative
I have a 3 month old MS LR plus with 2,675 miles.....two road trips of over 475 miles for each one....rst of driving is around town but have been shut down for a while and dont drive a lot the last few weeks....I have alternated between supercharging and home charging.....I have a wall charger Nema 14-50 but it was internal bad causing the heat sensor to lower the current from 40a to 30a....this behavior continued until the car was charged to what I have set......it did it for both cars....changed it out for a new hard wired wall charger and last 3 charges have been at 40a...so problem fixed.....I am getting for the life of the Model S LR Plus an average of 253 wh/m for 2,675 miles.....the road trip were taken in February to Yuma, Az and air conditioning was used......I averaged around the same for that trip.....I am sure because of the Lowe mileage overall, I should balance out soon and see maybe a little higher wh/m but right now I am a happy camper
Compared to older Model S cars, that 253 wh/mile is pretty incredible. Mine is 351 averaged over many years. Earlier in this post, the older Model S cars seemed to average in the low to mid 300's. One time, trying really hard, in ideal conditions, I got 307 wh/mile on a 200 mile circuit. You would drive yourself crazy trying to do that regularly.
Either the new cars are spectacularly (30%) more efficient, or the wh/mile displayed is a poorly estimated value in one or both of our cars.

Compared to older Model S cars, that 253 wh/mile is pretty incredible. Mine is 351 averaged over many years. Earlier in this post, the older Model S cars seemed to average in the low to mid 300's. One time, trying really hard, in ideal conditions, I got 307 wh/mile on a 200 mile circuit. You would drive yourself crazy trying to do that regularly.
Either the new cars are spectacularly (30%) more efficient, or the wh/mile displayed is a poorly estimated value in one or both of our cars.
My 2015 S85D shows 296 Wh/mi over long term (86,000 miles)

My 90D on 19" is 344Wh/mi (214Wh/km) on average over 60k miles. I don't drive aggressively nor like a grandma. Nowadays due to climate last 1 month's average is 310Wh/mi, in winter it is closer to 400. (My area's temperatures range from 30F to 95F between winter and summer)