Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI, the term is hypermile or "hypermiling" Hypermiling - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Welcome to the 5 digit odometer club!

Thanks, post corrected.

Remember, on long, mountain descents, its better to regen that let the speed increase too much...Regen puts W-hr's back in the battery; high speed just heats up the atmosphere. :wink: Storing energy as Kinetic energy by coasting on a downhill is only better in short, rolling terrain.

OK a few days late on my end-of-October update:

jomo25 312 8467 AZ 60 19 1 11/01/13

I mean just barely at 312. It flipped over about 1 min before I reached my garage to snap the pic. The next morning it flipped back to 313 the first few miles, but now settled back to 312 range. And with the perfect temps here now, it'll probably continue to drop for another couple-few months or so.

Well you're seeing these numbers, so I think not including them skews the data - you're in!

I really don't think you want to do that. Not every data point should be included, as some are legitimate outliers or simply will not help understand the behavior of the majority (which is the point of the statistics).

Out of my 3500 miles, easily 10% of total miles are demo rides. And while I drive very safely, I'm very aggressive with power deployment to reposition my car within traffic. There's a lot of hard acceleration in there! And I work from home, so most trips are very short (which adds the typical power spike at the beginning of each outing). Even the car itself is unusual: I lost a front tire to FOD, and had so much trouble finding a Michelin that I ended up buying two Contis for the front and keeping my other Pilot as a spare. So I'm also running a mixed tire setup.

I really don't think you want to do that. Not every data point should be included, as some are legitimate outliers or simply will not help understand the behavior of the majority (which is the point of the statistics).

Out of my 3500 miles, easily 10% of total miles are demo rides. And while I drive very safely, I'm very aggressive with power deployment to reposition my car within traffic. There's a lot of hard acceleration in there! And I work from home, so most trips are very short (which adds the typical power spike at the beginning of each outing). Even the car itself is unusual: I lost a front tire to FOD, and had so much trouble finding a Michelin that I ended up buying two Contis for the front and keeping my other Pilot as a spare. So I'm also running a mixed tire setup.

I think if we want to get a true picture of a fleetwise average we need to include all the data we can, across many drivers and driving styles and situations. Some fraction of the population will be people like you who because of short commutes or fast driving or whatever reason have higher than average numbers while others who maybe focus more on fuel economy will have lower than average numbers. To avoid introducing biases, we need to include everything. So far the outliers have not really affected the mean much as you can see in the data by noting the median and mean almost the same. I'd expect this to be the case going forward as well.

For reference, since I'm one of the "370" datapoints, my regular daily drive is down,and then up, a hill with a roughly 8% grade. Going uphill the speed limit increases... so I'm accelerating from 0 to 40 up a hill with an 8% grade. I've posted a photo of my energy usage graph, which goes off the charts on both the top and the bottom daily.

I get much, much better mileage when I take a long trip outside of town.

My car's 9 months old today! :-D In celebration, Friday night I drove over something on the highway and punctured a tire so bad it had to be replaced this morning. Boo, hiss. On the plus side, the car drove so smoothly, I didn't I didn't realize till I got out at a service station that the tire was 100% flat. (I'm not sure if it took a little while to lose all the air or if it lost most of it quickly--I was on the highway another couple of miles, and then on city streets for another mile or so, before stopping at a service station. I got the TPMS warning, but didn't realize it was so bad, till I saw it.)

kendallpb 325 11,699* MD S85 19"

* I stupidly reset "B", so I'm stuck using my post-pickup-reset "A" which doesn't include miles Tesla put on the car in California, though maybe that's a good thing? Anyway, my car has 11,720 miles on it, but only 11,699 are tracked in trip "A". If I post future updates (sorry, I'm not sure I'll do this monthly), I won't include this explanation--just the line o' data.

Looking at trip "B", I guess I've been driving better? worse? something. My average energy is lower for the past 6,598.7 miles than my 11,699 average. I think I've noticed over time that my average has gone down a bit, slowly; I'm pretty sure it was closer to 340 in the early days. As I recall, it started going down a little when I stopped trying so hard. Seriously--I got a little more aggressive with the accelerator and it improved a bit.

For the curious, my typical usage is a 46ish-mile round-trip to work five days a week, mostly on the DC area beltway--but odd hours, so I'm usually not in slow traffic (especially going to work).

Are pictures required/preferred, as proof, or do people just do it because they like posting pix of their energy usage? I'm serious--no offense intended--I've skimmed some of this thread, but haven't read all 565 posts in detail, sorry. :redface:

2013-11-09-meter.JPG

2013-11-09-miles.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. My "typical usage" sentence left out other usage. We generally use my car on weekends, for errands, etc. :cool:, so weekend usage varies wildly depending on what we're doing. Also, we've taken two road trips in the Model S--one to Boston and the other to Raleigh.

Last edited:
Are pictures required/preferred, as proof, or do people just do it because they like posting pix of their energy usage?

They are not required, it's just easier to take a picture than to write down the numbers on a non-existant piece of paper. They are also a good idea if your numbers aren't close to the average.

Coasting Technique

OK a few days late on my end-of-October update:

jomo25 312 8467 AZ 60 19 1 11/01/13

I mean just barely at 312. It flipped over about 1 min before I reached my garage to snap the pic. The next morning it flipped back to 313 the first few miles, but now settled back to 312 range. And with the perfect temps here now, it'll probably continue to drop for another couple-few months or so.

I am an avid user of coasting technique and have posted extensively on that at the Tesla Forum.
Using the coasting technique and keeping up with the traffic flow, I nevertheless easily beat even the Ideal Range as shown in the instrument cluster, having an average of 260 Wh/mile even in temperature in the high 30's and darkness. The technique is not in any way harmful for the car and gives an extended range, which is very good in Sweden, where we lack any kind of infrastructure for charging EV:s.

Here is a copy of that thread

Already now: sorry, maybe too long, but I try to be thorough.
Trip: Home - pick-up friend and a LOT of luggage - Stockholm (S) - Norrköping (N).
Pause 5 hours, no charging.
Return: N-S - Airport.
I think this is relevant, since 100 miles of the trip is identical, but in opposite directions. Measurements in European standard [US within square brackets]
0610 Start from home. Range Charge 100%, finished 15 mins before starting trip.
4 degrees C [39 F]. Dry road. Pitch dark. Battery cold.
0630 Pick-up and pack. Trip A reset
0650 Entering freeway (heavily trafficked) Trip B reset.
0850 Reaching N. Temp 8 C [47 F]
Spent most of trip talking, not particularly concentrating on coasting, but it was used intermittently.
Consumption: Home - Pickup 16 km [10 miles] 2,7 kWh
Pickup - S: 15,2 km [9,5 miles] 2,8 kWh bumper to bumper traffic
S-N: 161 km [100,5 miles]: 26,0 kWh Heavy traffic, average speed 80 kmh [50 mph]. I did NOT upset traffic flow, but melted in.
Average Consumption Home - N 165Wh/km [264 Wh/mile]
S-N 162 Wh/km [259 Wh/mile]. Total consumption 191 km [120 miles]: 31,5 kWh
Energy Bar at 64% Energy App remaining Range 50 km [31 miles] Average: 243 km [162 miles]
Dashboard Typical: 237 km [158 miles] Rated/Ideal: 297 km [185 miles]
=====================
Return trip. 9 degrees [49 F]. Light half trip. Dry road. Alone in car, no payload. Here I "hitch-hiked" with a lorry that kept a steady 90 kmh [56 mph], but so far behind that I didn't use slipstream, and I made a conscious effort to drive cheaply, using coasting, while not upsetting traffic rhythm.
First a few km/miles to warm up Battery, then
N-S same 161 km [100,5 miles] plus another 39 to airport, together 200 km [125 miles] 29,6 kWh, or an average of 148 Wh/km [237 Wh/mile].
Total consumption Home-N-Airport 399,1 km [250 miles]: 63,1 kWh. Energy Bar at 26%. Remaining Range Energy Bar: 74 km [47 miles].

Average consumption whole trip: 158 Wh/km [253 Wh/mile]

Remaining Range Dashboard Typical: 74 km [47 miles]
Rated/Ideal: 93 km [58 miles].
Remaining Range Energy App 50km [32 miles] Average: 109 km [68 miles].
=========
Difference Dashboard Typical Range end first leg (N) to complete trip (237-74 km) = 163 km [102 miles]
Difference Dashboard Ideal/Rated Range end first leg (N) to complete trip = 205 km [128 miles].
REAL distance end first leg (N) to complete trip: 208 km [130 miles].
=================
Conclusions:
It would seem that driving the car with single occupancy in rather cold weather, with headlights on half the trip, and keeping an average speed of 90 kmh [56 mph],
using coasting technique actually consumes slightly less energy than even the Ideal Range setting.
The forecast about Range, using available data from the return trip indicate that the car, using coasting technique, averaging 90 kmh [56 mph], also in these semi-hard conditions, and assuming an available energy after reserves etc of 75 kWh (it is probably more) should be able to go exactly 507 km [317 miles].
QED and sorry for the length of this.

I just saw that in another thread "pgiralt" says that we get to use 81,1 kWh.
If that is true, the range with "my" coasting technique in the conditions given in the post above would be
548 km [342,5 miles],
assuming a warm battery. If not warm deduct 8 km [5 miles].
Of course, given 20 degrees C [68 F] rather than 9 [49 F] and no darkness, this would be even better.

Robert von Bahr, one of Sweden's 10 or so happy Tesla S owners.

Update: dwegmull - 298 Wh/mi, 5521 Miles, 19", 85KWh, Northern California

My energy usage has come down with the temperature. I think I'm at a sweet spot now as I (and the battery) do not need any climate control. Soon we will need the heater...
It is interesting that the comfort zone of humans and Li-ion batteries are about the same, somewhere between 20 and 25 degree Celsius...

> "coasting technique" [[email protected]]

No idea what this is. Anyone? Can it be shifting to N (freewheeling) whenever possible?
--

It can be shifted to N, but there is no need to do so (and doing it violates the law in some states) because you can get the same results by keeping the energy monitor close to zero whenever possible. Keeping the energy monitor close to zero whenever possible and otherwise keeping the energy monitor steady when possible works for me.