Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 34,318 miles on 4/5/14, I have 9908.2 kwh used for 289 wh/m.
By the end of last summer, my average was 272 (as I recall). I took a couple of trips in very cold weather:
http://www.austinfarm.org/homegrown/tripreport.html
with around 1k miles pulling a trailer. In snow and ice! That pushed my average up significantly.

I still have two of the original tires, the two that lived too long on the rear were replaced about 30k miles.

Car delivered about 1 year ago.

Shameless plug: I wish someone else would contribute to the "Charging and Lodging" wiki:
Charging and Lodging - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Update: Our average Wh/m is continuing to trend down over time as I expected. Our current data lifetime is: 11530 miles, 3624.3 kWh, 314 Wh/m

As requested here is another update. Still trending down on the average lifetime energy (from 320 at first report last summer). Just had second tire rotation at one year service and tire wear is still reasonable on the 19" Goodyears.

13,135 miles 4,112.6 Wh 313 Wh/m lifetime average

4/5/14 10471 327 CA S60 19

Thanks, Jeff, for the PM prompt. I always forget to do this at the end of the month, and I don't have any month numbers, but my long time average has gone up a little since my last entry (Dec ?) from 322 to 327 - Bay Area "winter" driving with more heating and colder battery and tires, I suppose.

8,284 363 nc p85 21

IMG_2944.JPG

I'm at 29,161 miles and 330 wh/mi since I got my car in March 2013- standard 85 kWh with stock 19" wheels and tires. But we just moved to San Rafael and that will cut about 24 miles off my daily commute so I doubt I will rack up nearly as many miles in my second year of ownership- unless we go on a lot of crazy road trips or something :)

Now (April 7, 2014) up to 319 Wh/m with 14,900 miles; S85 19" wheels.

It went back and forth 319/320 a few times. Now that the spring weather has caught up with the official season, I expect to "drive down" that number. I'm daily averaging below 300 again.
Winter average was around 360 for a while!

My theory for why Oregon data seem to be badly outlying has just been reinforced by Josh's input coming from Anchorage. These two states have, in my millions of miles of driving experience throughout all of North America (except Nunavut, NWT and Newfoundland), the worst road surfaces of any US state (YT's are equal, but no Teslas there).

Road surface quality has an immense effect on fuel consumption. I've noticed it for decades with my diesel pickup trucks. Anecdotally now, but two otherwise comparable terrains would give me perhaps 22mpg if a good surface and 11-13mpg if a crappy one.

Here are my data, for the first time:

4/4/14 9,362mi 284wh/mi **AZ** P85 19"

I very much expect that consumption number to be, oh, close to twice that when back in Alaska :(