Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, it's been just over a year at 22,000 miles with the Model S The lifetime average Wh/mile is 340. Here is how it breaks down by month. (I'm in the Seattle area so we don't get extreme low temps here and my car is not parked outside)

Month / Year Average Energy (Wh/mile)
TOTAL: 340
March, 2013 353
April 2013 339
May 2013 328
June 2013 319
July 2013 326
August 2013 311 <== August was my most efficient month
Sept 2013 320
Oct 2013 327
Nov 2013 357
Dec 2013 379 <== December was my least efficient month
Jan 2014 362
Feb 2014 367
March 2014 340
April 2014 332

BTW: This looked great before I posted but now I see the formatting is all messed up. Sorry about that.

400 miles per month, 12 miles a day. Lots of short trips, probably stop and go, all those hills in SF Bay area...if you run the AC hard, don't use range mode, goose it from time to time and you could see those sorts of numbers. Take it out for a nice 100+ mile road trip, keep it at or near the speed limit with the cruise on and see what you get...I suspect you'll see much better numbers.

I agree. City driving in the winter with the heater on and it's easy to hit those sorts of numbers. I often see those sorts of numbers on a weekend day of driving around town, but my daily commute is usual around 310 wh/mile (and almost never over 330 even in winter) despite that fact that I go from sea level to 1800 feet and back to sea level each way on my commute.

Benjamin Brooks 305 18000 CA 85 19 05/09/14

- - - Updated - - -

exactly 300 Wh/mile after 6500 miles in and around Los Angeles in S85 with standard wheels. AC doesn't seem to have much impact as I use it a lot.

My understanding is that the HVAC power should *NOT* be included in your trip wh/mile numbers, it should only include power consumed by the drivetrain.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

6 miles rated range remaining....

Not right. HVAC draw is definitely measured; just see the lousy numbers from cold climes from the past winter.

If that was the case, if I got in my car right after finishing charging and ran the AC (with car unplugged) for 30+ minutes before driving, I should see the trip meter energy average jump up very high on wh/m immediately. I do not see this.
I believe the HVAC power needed to heat/cool the *battery* is included in the trip wh/m, but not the internal cabin HVAC.
I don't really ever use the heater, so I may be wrong about that. But I use the AC a lot and never see it impact my trip meter wh/m numbers.

320Wh/mi after 14k miles. I expect this to go up next winter since I moved to Portland. The Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires I put on are doing pretty well with tread life and handling the rain as well. These were put on 20" wheels right when I got the car. I bet I get 30k miles out of them, which is pretty much unheard of with any of my cars.

If that was the case, if I got in my car right after finishing charging and ran the AC (with car unplugged) for 30+ minutes before driving, I should see the trip meter energy average jump up very high on wh/m immediately. I do not see this.
I believe the HVAC power needed to heat/cool the *battery* is included in the trip wh/m, but not the internal cabin HVAC.
I don't really ever use the heater, so I may be wrong about that. But I use the AC a lot and never see it impact my trip meter wh/m numbers.

From my observations, the car measures all power used while in the "on" condition. If you pre-heat or cool the cabin using the app, that energy is not applied to the Wh/m reading.
I have not tested this but I think if you use the Neutral/Parking brake trick, I expect to see the poor Wh/m results.

I have not tested this but I think if you use the Neutral/Parking brake trick, I expect to see the poor Wh/m results.

I don't see why. At car shows I show the car, open the doors, go through the screens, start it (this is popular because lot of folks seem to want to hear the sound when it's running). I might lose 3-4 miles of range while at the show.

If you're only using 3 miles during the show, you're not drawing much power. You'd probably use close to that just by not letting it sleep, so unless you're sitting in it most of the day, I wouldn't expect it to affect the kW/m noticeably. I'm suggesting that if you use the heat while the car is ”on” and not moving, you'd see a marked increase in the 5 mile average.