Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw the nice analysis on page #96, thought I'll add a datapoint again. I think as I reported in early april, then those were numbers including march. So for April:

Total distance: 11608km
kWh total: 2834
Wh/km average: 244 Wh/km

April only:
Distance: 1830km
kWh in April: 443 kWh
Wh/km average: 242 Wh/km

I'll add the May numbers in 10 days or so.

Also wanted to comment that my January temperature is taken a bit optimistically I think in the table :) I calculated that you used -5 while the temperature was below -20C for 2-3 weeks in January and hence I'd assume the average should come around -15C more likely. That also explains the absurdly high average in January (294Wh/km)

edit: in fact I don't know if I can give iCloud reading rights, but I'm keeping all of my usage data in a Numbers sheet and it's sitting on iCloud so I could give you direct access for reading and therefore the numbers would be accessible easily ;)

Saw the nice analysis on page #96, thought I'll add a datapoint again. I think as I reported in early april, then those were numbers including march. So for April:

Total distance: 11608km
kWh total: 2834
Wh/km average: 244 Wh/km

April only:
Distance: 1830km
kWh in April: 443 kWh
Wh/km average: 242 Wh/km

I'll add the May numbers in 10 days or so.

Also wanted to comment that my January temperature is taken a bit optimistically I think in the table :) I calculated that you used -5 while the temperature was below -20C for 2-3 weeks in January and hence I'd assume the average should come around -15C more likely. That also explains the absurdly high average in January (294Wh/km)

edit: in fact I don't know if I can give iCloud reading rights, but I'm keeping all of my usage data in a Numbers sheet and it's sitting on iCloud so I could give you direct access for reading and therefore the numbers would be accessible easily ;)

Thanks Mario. The January numbers I used for the US were 30 year averages, 1970 - 2000 or something like that. I don't recall where I got the average Jan temperature for Estonia, maybe this website: Average Weather In January For Tallinn, Estonia - WeatherSpark

Because this winter was unusually cold in Eastern North America and unusually warm in Western North America (not sure what it was in Estonia - colder than average I take it from your numbers?), I probably should have tried to use this January's temperatures but didn't see any easy source online. That said, all I really wanted to do was find a decent numerical proxy for location - I wanted to say that as far as driving conditions go, NY and Ohio are in some sense the same and Texas and Florida are the same, and that the latter differ from the former in a way that is proportional to typical winter temperatures. Of course using average January temperatures is an extremely crude proxy, but it should capture some of the effect.

It's probably easier to just post your numbers here if you feel like it rather than trying to give me iCloud reading rights.

End of month update:
IMG_1043.JPG

Lifetime: 334 wh/mi and falling.
Since April 14th: 298wh/mi

Really? I'm usually pretty observant about these kinds of things. I've seen it in the center speedometer circle when the car is "On" but not in "Run" mode, but never on the side pane like that. Gonna pay attention on my way out of work this afternoon!

I took this picture right after parking, putting it in park, then opening the door.... if that helps. The left side of my screen usually shows the radio information.

Oooh - I just found this thread. Can I play too?

I'm about 5 weeks into my Model S ownership and have (so far) been resetting only Trip A after every 1000 miles. Right now, I'm approaching 3000 total miles, with a lifetime Wh/mi of 309. The first 1000 miles were at 326, then the average had gone down to 314 at 2000 miles and looks like it will end up at about 308 for my third 1000 miles...

I live in PA, work in NJ, and have standard 19" wheels/tires. Summer hasn't got into full swing yet, so very little A/C use so far.

Sparrow 257 14529 GA 85 19 05/31/14. Month of May came in at 934.3 miles using 218.9 kWh for an average of 234 Wh/mi. I also drove a loaner 60 kWh Model S for a week and a half during May and drove an addiitonal 380 miles averaging 232 Wh/mi.

Here are my numbers for the Month of May : 3297km , 586.2kWh , avg 178 Wh/km
lifetime is : 5396km , 1011.7 kWh , avg 187 Wh/km

In imperial, they are : Month of May 2048.6mi , 586.2 kWh , avg 286 Wh/mi
lifetime 3335.4mi , 1011.7 kWh , avg 302 Wh/mi

After 6 weeks of owning the car, the wh/km average is on it's way down.

Folks here must drive downhill both to and from work! I finally saw my lifetime dip under 400.

Commuting has accounted for about 55% of the 25,000 miles over the 15 months I've had the car. The rest is vacation trips and weekend driving. Commuting only would lower the Wh/mi, but the Model S is so much fun to drive and show. All it really needs to be perfect is the pull down panel as shown in the Dragon 2 Reveal.