Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
jerry33 said:
The D is more efficient on the highway, less efficient in stop and go (my understanding).
After 8,503 miles our overall usage remains stable at 355 wH/mi.

On the road trips power consumption is consistent with expectations, adjusting for altitude gain/loss and typical 80-85mph. Round trips to Zuma Beach of ~100 miles consume less due to lower speeds, just under 300 wH/mi in one instance.

The city driving power consumption in my 90D is worse than 80-85mph highway. Part of it is that it can be very congested in Hollywood/Beverly Hills plus there can be some hill climbing on the alternate routes to get there from Glendale to avoid the worst traffic.

Also we live 300 feet above the surrounding commercial district and freeway entrances. I suppose going up and down that hill every trip adds up over time.

Last edited:
I'm confused about this? how is this possible can someone splain?
When traveling at a steady state one motor can be put in low power mode (I don't know that it actually goes to sleep, but it is supposed to use less power). Start and stop prevents this from happening. Also there are more parts to spin up in a D configuration (A drivetrain version of heavier tires and wheels).

After a little over 10,000 miles in 11 months, my "lifetime" average is 326 wh/mi in our 70D. In that time, only two trips have been long enough to be overnight, so it is mostly local travel, many short trips.
Since we live in the Boston area, the average is affected by the considerably higher energy consumption in winter. Last winter, I had no charging facility at my condo, so all the energy to heat the cabin and the battery itself came from the battery except when I was charging someplace (usually after the car had partially warmed up). But now I have home charging, so that should reduce the energy consumed from the battery to heat or cool the car.

Sep_1_2016_jerry.jpg

Lifetime_Average.jpg

Here are my figures:

Lifetime Nov. 2015 - Aug. 2016
Total distance 19905 mi
Total energy 6103.9 kWh
Avg. consumption 307 Wh/mi

The upper line A was our trip from Germany to Norway this summer (3 weeks, all perfect, no hassle at all!):

Summer holiday trip 3 wks:
Total distance 4245 mi
Total energy 1156 kWh
Avg. consumption 272 Wh/mi

My current average:
Right below 257 Wh/mi

75 % highway with avg. speed 65 mph, which is a significant drop compared to last winter, where the consumption was about 354 Wh/mi.

I think it's not only the temperatures but also my more calm driving style after nearly 20000 miles... ;o)). There comes a point where you know the acceleration and don't have to check it out all the time.

Regards,
Bernd

Last edited:
I think my lifetime avg is going to hover just below 300 Wh/m, which as @David29 pointed out is a little difficult in New England.
293 Wh/m over 80892 miles. Right at 3 years.
273 Wh/m over 1826 miles during Aug.

The big news is 276 Wh/m over 9209 miles in July, when I drove to CA and back! This car gets great energy economy when it's 90+ outside, which was most of the trip.

I think my lifetime avg is going to hover just below 300 Wh/m, which as @David29 pointed out is a little difficult in New England.
293 Wh/m over 80892 miles. Right at 3 years.
273 Wh/m over 1826 miles during Aug.

The big news is 276 Wh/m over 9209 miles in July, when I drove to CA and back! This car gets great energy economy when it's 90+ outside, which was most of the trip.
That is excellent! Actually, quite incredible. I never see average use that low except occasionally when I have no AC on and am cruising at lower than usual speeds.

That is excellent! Actually, quite incredible. I never see average use that low except occasionally when I have no AC on and am cruising at lower than usual speeds.
I don't really "hypermile," but most of the time am conscious of energy use and react early for traffic lights ahead. One way I keep the average down is to use the app to preheat/precool the cabin, since that energy isn't counted by the displayed average. 5-10 minutes is usually enough to take the chill/blast furnace out. Some may consider that an artificially low average, but hey I'm not driving during that time.
I've discovered that you can "get on it" from 0-30 or so without much energy penalty, but above that you'll take much more of a hit.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
7 months, 11,704 miles, 351 Wh/mile

We had our first trip in October on the common northern-southern California route, so some of you can tell us how lead-footed we are. 700 miles freeway driving mostly on I-5 were 342 Wh/mi. The 155 miles of rural driving in Napa/Sonoma wine country were 289 Wh/mi.