Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nov_1_2018_jerry.jpg

This looks to be my last posting. Tomorrow I am scheduled to trade in my Signature Red P85 Model S for a new 100D Model X. Over the last year I have not even driven my Model S 2000 miles and only drove it 65 miles in November. With 5 grandkids the 7 seat Model X will get more use.
113018whm.jpg

Wth, how do you get 240 Wh/mi?

I'm at 212Wh / 1 km, (60.000 km driven). It equals to 341Wh per one mile (if a mile is 1.609 km...)

Even in summer and lazy driving I get an average of 170Wh/ km (273 Wh / mi)

P.S. Tesla calculates 186 Wh / km.

This looks to be my last posting. Tomorrow I am scheduled to trade in my Signature Red P85 Model S for a new 100D Model X. Over the last year I have not even driven my Model S 2000 miles and only drove it 65 miles in November. With 5 grandkids the 7 seat Model X will get more use.View attachment 356875
Let us know if you still get 239 Wh/mi with your new Model X.

• Funny
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Actually I think all power used is factored while you're driving, but not while the car is in "off" mode. For example, if you forget to pre-cool/pre-heat then crank it up and start driving right away, you'll have a much higher Wh/m for the trip; especially if it's a short trip. However if you leave "Keep climate on" for half a day, that energy won't be counted. Extensive use of pre-conditioning is how I keep my average down.

Tesla's displayed Wh/mi only accounts for when the car is driving (moving). When it's stopped, it doesn't factor in the energy used while "idling" so that's where some of the difference comes from as well. This was discovered from folks monitoring data off the CAN bus.

I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.

After 5 years 16 days, my Model S has 166,206 mi 53,296.6 kWh @321 Wh/mi. Full range charge is 225 miles from original 276 miles.
Anyone else have full range charge they can share?

My 5 year and 3 months MS has 137k miles averaging 289 wh/m. My last range charge was 247 miles a few months ago. (My 90% is 222, 225 sounds low for a range charge.)

I'm hoping that my battery will be covered under the warranty. I'm sure they will run tests on my S and will report what they find out. My work commute is about 150 miles with some hills. I used to be able to make the trip in one charge, now i have to charge 15 mins. Antelope Valley to Ridgecrest, luckily they have 2 supercharging stations along the way.

Having my S for so long, i did start to notice connection issues to the supercharger. I received the red ring of death, I think that's a hardware link error. I have to reinsert and it starts working as long as it goes in straight without pulling. Funny thing is there was another S that was old as mine and had the same exact problem. Poor guy tried all the stations in lone pine and then tried inyokern with no luck. I told him that he should try reinserting and make sure it doesn't pull the cable. This time it made a proper handshake and started charging properly. Definitely a trip to service center is needed for both of us.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
112k miles here. Starting to wonder if my battery is bad. Had some issues with wh/mi being way higher than normal. Took it in and was told it was the 12v battery. That seemed to fix high wh/mi but now I can't charge to 100% when I need to for longer trips. It will stop anywhere from 93-96% charge and say charge complete. I've tried to balance the BMS to no avail. 2 months ago 100% charge was 249 miles, but now 96% says 230 which would be 239-240 on a full charge. Where did those other 10 miles go in the last 2 months? Why can't I charge to 100%? Just seems odd that this is all happening now. Before that no issues at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks